New Films in Production, v.2

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
senseabove

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#626 Post by senseabove » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:13 pm

Yeah... my initial reaction was "oh no...." because, while I haven't read the whole novel since college, it was a formative one. I do read the Prologue/Pafko at the Wall every few years, for obvious reasons, and that section alone could/should be its own feature and yet feels utterly unadaptable.

therewillbeblus

#627 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:40 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:13 pm
I do read the Prologue/Pafko at the Wall every few years, for obvious reasons, and that section alone could/should be its own feature and yet feels utterly unadaptable.
I was going to respond with a very similar comment. Its sprawling, frenetic nature would make for a solid one-hour featurette, but the best bits are (in my opinion) Hoover's internal thoughts, without which it would simply be a slapstick suspense piece if translated into cinematic form. I'm also in the minority where I think this is the weakest section of the novel (I have yet to speak to anyone who doesn't think it's the best, which has certainly quieted the esteem at least those in my vicinity have for the entire package when they feel it's so heavily front-loaded), though it's still obviously amazing- and a perfect way to start a book about the intangibility of holding onto meaning with a story about achieving tangible meaning in the moment!

knives

#628 Post by knives » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Pardon the ignorance, but would it possibly to just adapt a chapter or small sequence like with Rivette’s Wurthering Heights or all Proust adaptations?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#629 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:24 pm

After, among other scandals, accusations detailing his alleged cannibalism fetish, Armie Hammer has been recast with Will Arnett in Taika Waititi’s next film, with his existing footage reshot Christopher Plummer style

therewillbeblus

#632 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:35 pm

Apparently it's old news, though not mentioned here yet (and getting traffic around the internet due to Spector's recent departure), but Zendaya is set to play Ronnie Spector in an upcoming biopic

aox

#635 Post by aox » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:40 pm

I could go either way with McCay, but I just lived through that terrorist attack. It's quite fresh on my mind.

Similarly, I didn't get around to the 9/11 movies (e.g. World Trade Center, United 63, etc...) until the past few years.

hearthesilence

#637 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Part of me is entertaining the notion that this will be an expanded, note-perfect remake of John Ford's segment in How the West Was Won...but alas it's not even set in the Old West.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#640 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:49 pm

Tony Tost's directorial debut will be National Anthem for Bron Studios, with a principal cast consisting of Paul Walter Hauser, Simon Rex, and real-life friends Halsey and Sydney Sweeney

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#642 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:53 pm
Which was already adapted in radically altered form by Michel Deville as Eaux profondes
Dumped on Hulu, here’s the trailer

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#643 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:52 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Which was already adapted in radically altered form by Michel Deville as Eaux profondes
Users on the AW forum described this film’s post-production as extremely troubled - real Woman In The Window vibes from the relation of a number of wildly different cuts screened for test audiences. Hopefully this is merely a sign that Disney had no idea what to do with a film like this rather than an indication of a dumpster fire

beamish14

#644 Post by beamish14 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:33 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:39 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:52 pm
domino harvey wrote:

Users on the AW forum described this film’s post-production as extremely troubled - real Woman In The Window vibes from the relation of a number of wildly different cuts screened for test audiences. Hopefully this is merely a sign that Disney had no idea what to do with a film like this rather than an indication of a dumpster fire

Please pardon my ignorance (and I hope this isn’t a violation of protocols here), but what forum is that? I’ve read a smattering of things about the production on Deadline, but I’m very interested in getting some more in-depth info regarding what exactly happened

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#645 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:42 pm

We try not to publicly say the name because if we do they accuse of us sending our members there to troll (🙄 uh huh, sure Jan). Let’s say it rhymes with “AwardsWorthy”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#646 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:25 pm

Aziz Ansari will write, produce, direct, and star alongside Bill Murray in a movie adaptation of the non fiction book Being Mortal

yoloswegmaster

#647 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:34 pm

James Mangold to direct a Buster Keaton biopic.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#648 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:58 am

Who could play a good Buster Keaton? Bob Odenkirk? Will Arnett?

Roger Ryan

#650 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:11 am

My fear is Rami Malek will be cast as Keaton! Once upon a time (twenty years ago or so), I thought Skeet Ulrich could take on Keaton as a young man. As with any biopic, attempting too big a scope is what can undermine the attempt. For me, the ideal Keaton film would focus exclusively on his relationship with Roscoe Arbuckle before, during, and after the latter's rape and murder trials. At any rate, this new one can't be any worse than 1957's The Buster Keaton Story.