The Jeffrey Wells Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Orlac

Re: The Jeffrey Wells Thread

#426 Post by Orlac » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Some people are just bloody idiots.

MichaelB

#427 Post by MichaelB » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:40 am
Some of that is pretty disingenuous.
Gee, who knew that posting something online where you hope sizable numbers of people will read it is different than saying something in private at a party?
And he's a professional writer for chrissakes.
So instead of lamenting what a victim he is and decrying how mean everyone is, simply man up and say it was a stupid thing to post and I took it down quickly once I realized that. Sorry to offend, and get ready to move on.
If it was a one-off lapse, the benefit of the doubt might be granted.

But it isn't, and he knows that we all know that it isn't.

(Remember when he "accidentally" typoed Ruth Negga's surname in a way that you've doubtless guessed already? Yeah, right - in fact, glancing down at my keyboard, I simply cannot see how you can plausibly do that accidentally, what with the relevant letters being on different sides and normally typed by different hands.)

willoneill

#428 Post by willoneill » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Wells should have been kicked out/de-credentialed/unaccredited after the Vinessa Shaw incident, and if it had happened ten years later, he would have been. Much like Gina Carano, he was warned on multiple occasions, and he never learned, so he doesn't get to complain now.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

The Jeffrey Wells Thread

#429 Post by Brian C » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:30 pm

willoneill wrote:Wells should have been kicked out/de-credentialed/unaccredited after the Vinessa Shaw incident, and if it had happened ten years later, he would have been. Much like Gina Carano, he was warned on multiple occasions, and he never learned, so he doesn't get to complain now.
100% agree re: Shaw incident but I suspect that no one wanted to open that can of worms. One of the weirdest aspects is that Wells felt comfortable asking for the Shaw pics in the first place - seems likely that this kind of sharing was/is common practice.

But hey, if so, now would be a perfect time for Wells to scorch the earth.

deathbird

#430 Post by deathbird » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:13 pm

Sounds like he's gonna paywall the whole site shortly.

'Tis a sad day for lovers of raccoon tails on scooters and FeBreeze-scented hair-plugs and Russian mail-order bride dilemmas.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#431 Post by Brian C » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 pm

Imagine being so desperate for content that you’re willing to pay to read Jeff Wells in 2021.

Big Ben

#432 Post by Big Ben » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:10 am

Oh no I'll just have to hear about his racist bullshit second hand. Imagine paying for his nonsense.

deathbird

#433 Post by deathbird » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:31 am

C'mon, you know you'll keep reading his stuff when he migrates to Aintitcool.com

yoloswegmaster

#434 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 pm

Jeffrey Wells' review for the new Rita Moreno documentary. Yeah she might have had to work in an oppresive system that wasn't allowing her to receive better roles but that could have changed only if she had talked about how great the industry was in her Oscar speech! This dude is such a doorknob.

Maurice Micklewhite

#435 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:39 am

In the middle of a pandemic and with dwindling ad revenue, Wells decides to go on a holiday to Berlize and "somehow" loses his phone.

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/06 ... y-pitbull/

"I was pedaling through central Caye Caulker around 8:45 am this morning, and somehow my iPhone, which was in the front basket, hopped or popped or flipped out of the basket…gone. I realized it was missing around ten or twelve minutes later"

He gets the police involved and a pitbull bites his ass as he tracks the phone's location via an app.

Anyone think he backed up to the cloud or his laptop? Or do you think he'll find it on his bedside table in 12 hours?

JabbaTheSlut

#436 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:35 pm

”I’m just glad the pit bull didn’t bite me in the family jewels.”

Maurice Micklewhite

#437 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:29 pm

In case anyone was wondering, Wells has posted a picture of a dog that KINDA looks like the one who bit him.

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/06 ... at-bit-me/

Be vigilante. If you are in Berlize, stay away from this monster (the dog, I mean).

colinr0380

#438 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Just want to say that this would make an excellent premise for the next Neil Breen film.

Maurice Micklewhite

#439 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:34 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 pm
Just want to say that this would make an excellent premise for the next Neil Breen film.
Depends.

Do Neil Breen films involve the anthropomorphization of animals combined with your run-of-the-mill white terror?

Now Wells believes the nation's animal population is out to get him due to a some kind of vendetta.

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/06 ... -baby-bat/

colinr0380

#440 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am

Maurice Micklewhite wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:34 am
Do Neil Breen films involve the anthropomorphization of animals combined with your run-of-the-mill white terror?
Sort of / Kinda / Pretty much!

Cash Flagg

#441 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Maurice Micklewhite wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:34 am
Now Wells believes the nation's animal population is out to get him due to a some kind of vendetta.
At least one member of the nation's human population is out to get him due to some kind of vendetta:

Maurice Micklewhite

#442 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:27 am

Was Sasha Stone always so crazy?

The former Hillary supporter gone full-blown MAGA on Twitter and Wells - of all people - is trying to talk her off the bridge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realsashasto ... 1827179522

A commentator on his site made the following point:

"Sasha's support for Hillary shared the same frantic, paranoiac intensity as Trump's Qontingent of beer-bellied morons. And that intensity was directed at the same target: Democrats. Sasha has spent a decade venting against everyone who disagrees with her in the slightest. If you've known anybody like that, you know that they will change sides on a whim, because the side isn't the point. The rage is the point."

willoneill

#443 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Many years ago I used to read Sasha's site quite a bit. Then during the Roman Polanski near-extradition incident, she was adamant that Polanski shouldn't be extradited because "Switzerland was a neutral country." So yes, for quite some time, it appears Sasha Stone has been both fucking stupid, and fucking crazy.

Maurice Micklewhite

#444 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:50 pm

Wells seems to be getting more and more insane lately. Just incoherent.

Wells had a comment today in a thread for the Clooney alcohol movie where he was trying to complain about Glenn Kenny but started going off about "guinea" parties in his adolescence.

This bizarre riff in comments is the first time I honestly wondered he had dementia.

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/08 ... der-bar-2/

"Side issue: Speaking of NY-area boozing and whatnot, what to make of a certain Irish-Italian from middle-class New Jersey stock who can’t control his hostility?…I was raised not too far from his old neighborhood…in WASPier, moderately mellow, middle class Westfield with a drinking “Mad Men” dad. In the combative high school culture that I was forced to grapple with I used to resent the socially aggressive and pugnacious “guineas” in that town…so the party in question is partly a would-be James Joyce, partly a Sonny Corieone macho type…the other side is that the party in question, an AA guy, has the manner and attitude of a dry drunk. My father (who turned sober in ‘75) was the same or similar…he had charm and politeness when it served him, but he could be sullen, snippy, dismissive and scowling from time to time. Rest assured that the party in question is the most relentlessly toxic human being I've ever known in my life. He keeps saying: "I'm up here, Wells, and you're way down there.""

Computer Raheem

#445 Post by Computer Raheem » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 pm

Jeffrey Wells wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:50 pm
"Side issue: Speaking of NY-area boozing and whatnot, what to make of a certain Irish-Italian from middle-class New Jersey stock who can’t control his hostility?…I was raised not too far from his old neighborhood…in WASPier, moderately mellow, middle class Westfield with a drinking “Mad Men” dad. In the combative high school culture that I was forced to grapple with I used to resent the socially aggressive and pugnacious “guineas” in that town…so the party in question is partly a would-be James Joyce, partly a Sonny Corieone macho type…the other side is that the party in question, an AA guy, has the manner and attitude of a dry drunk. My father (who turned sober in ‘75) was the same or similar…he had charm and politeness when it served him, but he could be sullen, snippy, dismissive and scowling from time to time. Rest assured that the party in question is the most relentlessly toxic human being I've ever known in my life. He keeps saying: "I'm up here, Wells, and you're way down there."
I've thought for a while that Jeffrey Wells is the film "critic" equivalent to Ignatius J. Reilly; now I've begun to believe that, as a person, he is simply becoming Ignatius J. Reilly.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#446 Post by swo17 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Naw, Ignatius J. Reilly is readable

Maurice Micklewhite

#447 Post by Maurice Micklewhite » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:40 am

Wells has decided that he will hate the upcoming Dune and a fascinating and sad discussion occurred about

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/08 ... his-place/

As always, he couldn't mask his bitterness that someone else - in this case, Anne Thompson - was invited to a preview screening and he wasn't.
"Thompson was invited to see it the other day at the Steve Ross theatre on the Warner Bros. lot, you see, and there was wine and cheese and whatnot served in the lobby, and it was all very lah-dee-dah."
One commentator felt pity for Wells and extolled his desperate yearning for acceptance in a culture that has increasingly left him behind.
On a basic human level, I genuinely feel terrible for Wells. To spend an entire lifetime doing what you dearly love, what you feel compelled to do in your core, only at the very end to be told by The Powers That Be (TM) that you are no longer welcome anywhere, that your opinions are verboten, that the only way you get to practice your craft is to pay for it yourself like an audience chump... that's got to be a miserable place to be.

47 years, and this, this is his lasting reward, the consequences for burning most every professional and personal bridge along the way. He will continue to blame it on woke scolds and shifting political winds, of course. Samurai poet cowboys are not ones for introspection and reassessment, of course.

It's a shame. It's Shakespearean. If life was just, Jacob Marley would shamble out of the Movie Poop Shoot HQ bathroom and show 2000s Wells what's become of 2020s Wells, and avoid this fate altogether.

Alas, life is not just, life is toil.
Wells couldn't leave this alone and proclaimed that 2017 was the moment that everything apparently changed. What this has to do with Dune - or people liking Dune - I am not exactly sure, but he is certain that he didn't get small, Film Twitter did.
I am exactly the same person I was in 2016 and 2012 and 2009 and 2005 and '99 and '94, etc. And you know what? Everything was cool in '94, '99, '05, '09, '12 and '16. I haven't changed. The culture has changed. The last two to three years have been defined by measures against those who decline to talk the woke talk and walk the woke walk. We are living through a kind of Spanish inquisition -- a punitive '50s blacklist chapter -- an era of leftish Stalinist terror.

Gregory

#448 Post by Gregory » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:50 pm

All bad events are exactly the same, I guess, so the Spanish Inquisition is the same as the Hollywood blacklist, which is the same as the Great Purge, and they're all the same as when Dr. Yueh betrayed Duke Leto Atreides. Is "woke Twitter" Baron Harkonnen or the Guild Navigator?

If anyone really believes they're "exactly the same person" they were in 1994, then there's the problem. I believe we're supposed to keep learning and maturing in adulthood, and it has nothing to do with falling in line with the exact ideology of some nefarious cultural gatekeepers. There's been a whole array of voices and opinions on the internet since, well, 1994, but lately there are more that seem to make many white boomers feel judged and cornered. But no one on Twitter is forced to be in lockstep with anything except things that violate TOS, and even that is barely enforced. This dude will probably be a raving narcissist the rest of his life.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#449 Post by cdnchris » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 pm

I can't remember where I came across it, probably online somewhere, but there was a statement along the lines of: if you've gone through life without realizing at one point you were an asshole then chances are you're still an asshole.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#450 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Raylan Givens!
You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.