James L. Brooks

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
knives

James L. Brooks

#1 Post by knives » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Matt

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Yikes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Looks good to me, I don't get all the naysaying

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:13 pm

It's probably just me. A lot of people loved As Good As It Gets. I found it unbearable.

oldsheperd

#5 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:19 pm

As an OCD sufferer I found As Good As It Gets to be pretty trite.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:21 pm

For the record, I didn't like As Good As It Gets either

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#7 Post by Brian C » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm

I liked As Good As It Gets OK at the time, but can't imagine watching it again. The one I really hate is Spanglish, though. The pure, unmitigated hatred Brooks felt for the Leoni character really made my skin crawl.

tavernier

#8 Post by tavernier » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:43 pm

I still can't believe Reese Witherspoon has a Best Actress Oscar.

Numero Trois

#9 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. The new movie looks innocuous judging from that. Care to clarify?

Yeah, As Good As It Gets is a mess, with a script so sketchy that no amount of starpower could save it. It is kind of puzzling that the creator of a movie as sharp as Broadcast News would have so steep an artistic comedown. But then again, hardly the first director to lose more than a few steps. I don't know what process he used for his other movies, but BN certainly has this resonant naturalistic grounding that seems quite unlike what I've seen of his other movie stuff. Surely the inspired casting and intensive research all involved put into it explains this. There's not a false scene in it unlike the aforementioned other film. Maybe it's no coincidence that his best work has for the most part taken place in journalistic settings.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:59 pm

He meant the DVD release will coincide with the release of Brooks' new film.

Perhaps we could get a James L Brooks thread split?

Cold Bishop

#11 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Numero Trois wrote:It is kind of puzzling that the creator of a movie as sharp as Broadcast News would have so steep an artistic comedown.
I think it started somewhere with him letting I'll Do Anything be hijacked by test audiences.

Matt

Re: James L. Brooks

#12 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:51 pm

I will admit, it looks like Paul Rudd is finally putting acting techniques other than smirking to use again. Hard to tell from a trailer, but he might put forth a good performance. Can't really say I expect much from the other leads.

Cold Bishop

#13 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Paul Rudd is one of our country's great comedic talents consistently stuck in some of our most mediocre films. Have you read this article yet Matt?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#14 Post by Brian C » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:Paul Rudd is one of our country's great comedic talents consistently stuck in some of our most mediocre films. Have you read this article yet Matt?
Can't say I agree with that at all. Rudd starring in Apatow comedies is a perfect example of water finding its own level, as far as I can tell. And I would humbly suggest that the most logical reason for him being "stuck" in mediocre comedies is because they represent his comic sensibilities and he wishes to be in them.

oldsheperd

Re: 552 Broadcast News

#15 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:32 pm

As an OCD sufferer As Good As It Gets sucked. I can't wait for Brooks to write a comedy about a person with severe Schizophrenia.
Brooks' television stuff and his films have always been pretty subpar to me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 pm

oldsheperd wrote:As an OCD sufferer As Good As It Gets sucked. I can't wait for Brooks to write a comedy about a person with severe Schizophrenia.
Brooks' television stuff and his films have always been pretty subpar to me.
We have a James L Brooks thread for stuff like this

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#17 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeah, talk about non sequitur

oldsheperd

#18 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Isn't Broadcast News a James L. Brooks film? Have people not mentioned other Brooks' films on this thread? I guess my displeasure with Brooks just doesn't meet your liking. Deal with it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:46 pm

I hate As Good As It Gets too, but it's not relevant to even recent discussion in this thread, so why post about here?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#20 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:48 pm

There's a James L. Brooks thread, shep. This is a thread about the Criterion release of one of his films, which you didn't even focus on in any way whatsoever in your post. You must admit, if there's a general filmmaker thread (in this case, there is), your post would have made a lot more sense over there. Especially starting your thought with a preposition, answering a question that no one asked.

Or um, what Domino said more succinctly while I was typing this up.

oldsheperd

#21 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Spanglish is a load of limousine liberal nonsense, but I legitimately love As Good As It Gets.
Tom posted a similarly non-related post in this thread. I didn't see you and Mfunk jump all over his head. It's you and him that want to break this thread down into the minutiae of what is and what is not "approved" discussion in a thread.

I don't particularly care if I start a sentence with a preposition. I'll save the proper mechanics of writing for more important things.
Last edited by oldsheperd on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 pm

oldsheperd wrote:
Tom Hagen wrote:Spanglish is a load of limousine liberal nonsense, but I legitimately love As Good As It Gets.
Tom posted a similarly non-related post in this thread. I didn't see you and Mfunk jump all over his head. It's you and him that want to break this thread down into the minutiae of what is and what is not "approved" discussion in a thread.
He was in the midst of participating in a discussion from three months ago. You came out of nowhere to respond to my praise for this package that the man was a hack for making a bad film ten years after the film this thread is about. At no time did you mention this film. I suggested you post about it in the thread for such sentiments. You argued you have the right to post about whatever you want wherever you want. I'm not looking to start another feud, honest, but come on

oldsheperd

#23 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:59 pm

You're really making an effort to get my ire up today, Domino. I'm typically amused at your sarcasm-fused rants, but the fact that you want to pick a fight with me is curious. I'll post where I want as long as I think it has some relevance. The Mods are in charge of deeming what is appropriatley listed where. Don't assume responsibility that you don't have.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 pm

oldsheperd wrote:You're really making an effort to get my ire up today, Domino. I'm typically amused at your sarcasm-fused rants, but the fact that you want to pick a fight with me is curious. I'll post where I want as long as I think it has some relevance. The Mods are in charge of deeming what is appropriatley listed where. Don't assume responsibility that you don't have.
Do I literally have to write the words "I am not trying to pick a fight with you," or will you reply condescendingly to that as well? In the thread that I posted that you already wrote pretty much the same thing there that you did here, only a couple months ago. Why was it necessary to post it here again, in response to nothing under discussion?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Domino, stop being such an @$$h0!e