Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#1526 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:57 am

Also I do note that during next week's upheavals due to co-ordinated strike action across the country by rail companies, the Post Office and some nurses, that Film4 is airing timely repeats of both I'm All Right Jack and The Man In The White Suit during the afternoons!

I have picked up the last normal week of the Radio Times before the Christmas and New Year double issue comes out for the week of 17th to 23rd December, and its rather quiet. Even Channel 5 have pulled back from their premieres that week with 'just' five over the weekend of Saturday 17th (one film) and Sunday 18th (four films in a row!), and then start repeating older TV movies (including that Christmas Express one with Danny Glover and Joan Cusack in) along with bigger films like the 1951 Alaistair Sim Scrooge on Monday 19th, Spielberg's Hook at 4:15 p.m. on Thursday 22nd and then forego the TV movies altogether on the afternoon of Friday 23rd for a double bill of You've Got Mail and Cast Away from 1:30 p.m.!

However that week all the other channels jump on the Christmas TV movie bandwagon. Channel 4 have morning double bills that are repeats of TV movies they have mainly been showing at 6 a.m. on their E4 sub-channel but have now been brought out to the main one. Even ITV2 is showing one on Monday 19th with A Cinderella Story: A Christmas Wish! But BBC2 are most taking up the mantle by showing two a day in the early and mid-morning slots, which are mostly repeats although that has the most interesting new film of the week in The Waltons' Homecoming, which is a very belated entry in the series but seems to be trying to get in the Depression-style of the times.

In terms of non-Christmas TV movies, the only big new films are Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen (reunited with his Gods & Monsters and Mr. Holmes director, Bill Condon) in The Good Liar showing on BBC2 on Tuesday 20th at 9 p.m., Film4 showing Shiva Baby at 11:20 p.m. on Tuesday 20th, and then apparently the only film in cinemas for a big chunk of the first pandemic year Trolls: World Tour officially kicks off the Christmas season on BBC1 at 1:45 p.m. on Friday 23rd (I have just seen BBC1's film season trailer and apparently the nightmarish looking Will Smith version of Aladdin is going to be shown, along with the cute-looking Pokémon Detective Pikachu over the Christmas fortnight)
___
Beyond that BBC4 is showing a lot of the Ghost Stories For Christmas with a repeat of the more recent entries The Dead Room, The Mezzotint and Martin's Close in a triple bill from 12:15 a.m. on Sunday 18th, and a repeat of the 1979 Schlacken the Painter at 10:30 p.m. on Thursday 22nd. This is all leading up to BBC2 showing the latest entry, an adaptation of MR James' Count Magnus at 10 p.m. on Friday 23rd.

BBC4's classic television season takes up the majority of the week however as it re-shows all of the 2015 adaptation of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall starting with a ten minute introduction from director Peter Kosminsky and then continuing in double bills from 10 p.m. on Monday 19th, Tuesday 20th and Wednesday 21st.
___
In terms of repeats, lots of what you would expect appears on BBC2 during the week: The King and I, Meet Me In St Louis, A Christmas Story (meaning it has shown three times within the last week and a half on BBC2! Twice in the last twelve hours!), The African Queen and Casablanca in a double bill. But the most amusing double bill occurs on Film4 on the evening of Friday 23rd from 11 p.m. with a showing of Blood Simple (I wonder if it will be the Criterion re-edited cut?) and Memories of Murder! (I keep waiting for some wag at Film4 to double bill Office Christmas Party with The Belko Experiment!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jlnight

#1527 Post by jlnight » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Break of Day (1976), Sat 17th Dec, London Live. (last on BBC2 in 1984) Or...
Bear Island, Sat 17th Dec, Talking Pictures.
Confessions of a Pop Performer, Sat 17th Dec, Talking Pictures.

The Blockhouse, Sun 18th Dec, Talking Pictures.

The Man Called Noon, Fri 23rd Dec, Legend. Or...
The Puppet Masters (1994) + Attack of the Lederhosen Zombies + Tales From The Crypt, Fri 23rd Dec, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

Good spot on Schalcken The Painter.

therewillbeblus

#1528 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:22 pm

The Puppet Masters is great fun, and KLSC has it on low stock alert, so a good time to sample

colinr0380

#1529 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:38 pm

I still fondly remember watching The Puppet Masters film on a rented VHS tape back in late 1995 with no knowledge of what I was in for (and without a full awareness that someone of the stature of Donald Sutherland being in the cast would mean that there would have to be at least a bit more to the film than meets the eye and the way that he brings the baggage of a certain previous similar role to the film!) and completely being taken in by the fake UFO-turned-tourist trap facade of the opening section of the film being exactly what it was presented as on the surface, and then being rather surprised that it had a further twist to it!

I also like in that opening section that it is as if the film is simultaneously looking back to Invaders From Mars as well as poking fun at the then very current X-Files series by having its FBI investigators having to (at least at first) demeaningly resign themselves to investigating a parody of a UFO spaceship!

colinr0380

#1530 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:22 pm

Today's surprise amongst the Christmas TV movies was that One December Night features the team up of Peter Gallagher and Bruce Campbell as bickering band members getting forcibly reunited!

colinr0380

#1531 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:09 pm

Well, I spent the weekend sifting through the RadioTimes and think I have a good grasp of what is on during the Christmas and New Year fortnight (which because of the way it falls at the weekend extends way into the 6th January) now. After a year off last Christmas Disney is back in a big way on BBC1, although it has to share the honours this year on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with other companies. On Christmas Eve there is the Warner Bros. premiere of Pokémon Detective Pikachu at 3 p.m., whilst the Disney film The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is showing at 5:25 p.m. just before a new episode of the BBC's His Dark Materials series. Nutcracker and the Four Realms looks kind of worryingly visually similar to the Tim Burton dark Alice in Wonderland films, only compounded by the de rigeur ominous and threatening version of the Nutcracker suite in the trailer (and I really expected Morgan Freeman to follow up "it's time..." with "...to crack some nuts!" at the end there!), but it is directed by Lasse Hallström and Joe Johnston (of The Rocketeer) together, so that seems a bit more promising.

Then on Christmas Day itself the latest Shaun the Sheep entry from Aardman Animation Farmageddon shows at 1 p.m., and post the first King's Speech at 3 p.m. is the terrifying Will Smith version of Aladdin at 3:10 p.m.

ITV1 play the BBC at the family film premiere game this year, with The Mitchells vs the Machines showing at 3:30 p.m. on Boxing Day. And after years of never showing a new film during the Christmas period (everyone brace yourself for an entire day of every film in the Shrek series, plus Puss In Boots, tomorrow!) Film4 are showing the most interesting looking film of the whole fortnight with The Red Turtle tucked away at 11 a.m. on New Year's Eve.

The other premieres are 1917 on BBC1 at 9 p.m. on Bank Holiday Tuesday 27th (followed by the final two episodes of Tokyo Vice after the news from 11:20 p.m.) and the final Daniel Craig Bond film No Time To Die on ITV1 at 8 p.m. on New Year's Day.

Again Film4 surprisingly premieres another film over the festive period with the Nicolas Cage starring Primal at 11:20 p.m. on New Year's Day. I would be lying if I said that it wasn't the film I am most looking forward to of the Christmas period! And Film4 has another premiere in the week post-Christmas with the John Turturro starring and directed sequel to The Big Lebowski, The Jesus Rolls at 11:10 p.m. on Thursday 5th.
___

That's it for new films and in terms of new television series its mostly about the end of Tokyo Vice and His Dark Materials on BBC1, whilst BBC2 is starting a series on Marie Antoinette from 9 p.m. on Thursday 29th (just before devoting the rest of the evening to the Marie Antoinette of our times: Madonna), and a further new series starts at 10 p.m. on Wednesday 4th in the form of Our Flag Means Death.
___
In terms of repeats, there is a rather morbid sense to the schedules with a lot of things showing in tribute to various deceased big names over the last year. BBC2 is showing Chariots of Fire at 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve, presumably in tribute to Vangelis. BBC4's classic television strand devotes Boxing Day to the late Robbie Coltrane with a tribute programme at 9 p.m. and then at 9:45 p.m. the actor Richard Wilson does a fifteen minute introduction to the 1987 series Tutti Frutti, which has its six episodes repeated in double bills between Boxing Day and Wednesday 28th.

BBC2 appears to have wrangled away Goodfellas from Channel 4 (where it was initially premiered back in the 1990s) and ITV4 (where it has most recently been showing) to screen it on Boxing Day at 10:15 p.m., presumably in tribute to Ray Liotta. BBC1 is showing the original Ghost Busters at 4:40 p.m. on Boxing Day (and Ghostbusters II at 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday 27th) presumably in tribute to Ivan Reitman. The NeverEnding Story is showing at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday 27th as a tribute to Wolfgang Petersen.

On Thursday 29th BBC2 does a tribute to Angela Lansbury. Of course the 1978 Death on the Nile is repeated (it's becoming BBC2's Christmas tradition to show all the Peter Ustinov Agatha Christie adaptations as much as the double bill of Desperately Seeking Susan and In Bed With Madonna is!) but most exciting is a repeat of The Private Affairs of Bel Ami at 9:20 a.m.

The most interesting tribute however takes place on the radio, with Radio 4 Extra devoting an entire day of its schedule on Thursday 29th to repeating various episodes of series that the late Bernard Cribbins starred in, including a recent adaptation of The Bed Sitting Room at 11 p.m.!

Beyond the obits, BBC4's classic television season in the new year week starts with an introduction from actor Michael Jayston and repeats the original Alec Guinness series of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy from 10 p.m. Monday 2nd and continues through the week.

Post-Tokyo Vice the BBC have appropriated a few Michael Mann films from their usual home on Film4/ITV4 to screen Heat on BBC2 at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday 28th and Manhunter at 11 p.m. on Friday 6th. And it was good to see Alejandro Amenábar's film The Others showing on BBC1 at 11 p.m. on Thursday 29th.

The biggest shock was realising that this must be the first Christmas in decades that The Sound of Music has not been shown! No Bedknobs and Broomsticks either, which is a surprise given the Angela Lansbury connection. But fear not, Mary Poppins and its sequel and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang remain stalwarts!

(And the most amusing scheduling of the fortnight occurs on New Year's Day where ITV3's screening of Carry On Cleo at 10:50 a.m. finishes ten minutes before BBC2 begins its screening of the Burton-Taylor Cleopatra at 12:45 p.m.! Carry On Cleo of course took advantage of the added production value by filming on the sets left behind from that production!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jlnight

#1532 Post by jlnight » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:49 pm

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, Sat 24th Dec, Talking Pictures. (on Channel 4 in 1983)
Moonwalkers (2015), Sat 24th Dec, London Live. Or...
Runaway Train (1985), Sat 24th Dec, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 28th Dec.
Confessions of a Driving Instructor, late Sat 24th Dec, Talking Pictures.

Jack and Sarah, Sun 25th Dec, London Live. Or...
Beware My Brethren (The Fiend), Sun 25th Dec, Legend.
Murphy's War, Sun 25th Dec, Talking Pictures.

My Left Foot, Mon 26th Dec, London Live. Or...
The Razor's Edge (1984), Mon 26th Dec, Talking Pictures.

History is Made at Night, Thu 29th Dec, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)
Sign o' the Times, late Thu 29th Dec, Sky Arts.

Baby the Rain Must Fall, Fri 30th Dec, Talking Pictures.
The Ashram (2018), Fri 30th Dec, London Live. Or...
Witchcraft (1964) + Bloody New Year + Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Fri 30th Dec, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

What a World Cup final!

thirtyframesasecond

#1533 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Does Santa Claus Conquers The Martians have any kitsch or ironic value? I just connect it with Pia Zadora, who starred in some equally dubious sounding films in the 80s.

WmS

#1534 Post by WmS » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:35 pm

Santa does have a following for its ironic/kitsch values but I found it kind of boring. It's no Plan 9.

colinr0380

#1535 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:12 am

One vivid memory of my schooldays is that for some reason my primary school in the early 90s, presumably giving up on trying to teach kids whose minds were only on Christmas and presumably with a savvy member of staff who liked MST3K, ran a vote amongst the kids about which film should be played one afternoon as a Christmas treat, where it turned up as one of the options! Of course the vote immediately went to showing Santa Claus: The Movie, and on reflection that was probably the safer choice for all involved (maybe the vote was even rigged politics-style? :-k ), but ever the contrarian even back then my vote went to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! So compared to Santa Claus: The Movie being easy to see every Christmas, it took decades before I was finally able to see the other film!

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians does have a really catchy theme tune too that is in rotation in my seasonal playlist!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#1536 Post by jlnight » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:26 am

Genghis Khan (1965), Sat 31st Dec, Talking Pictures.
Confessions From a Holiday Camp, late Sat 31st Dec, Talking Pictures.

We of the Never Never, Sun 1st Jan, London Live.
The Asphyx, Sun 1st Jan, Legend.
The Kenny Everett Naughty Video, Sun 1st Jan, London Live.

The Ware Case, Thu 5th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)

The Order (The Sin Eater) + The Cat and the Canary (1978) + Little Devils: The Birth, Fri 6th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

jlnight

#1537 Post by jlnight » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:54 pm

The Lawnmower Man, Sat 7th Jan, Legend.
Absence of Malice, Sat 7th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 11th Jan.

Horror Hospital, Sun 8th Jan, Legend. (recently on London Live)

Harriet Craig, Mon 9th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 19th Jan.

Amores Perros, Tue 10th Jan, Film4.

Keep Fit, Thu 12th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)

The Day the Earth Stood Still, Fri 13th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Mon 16th Jan.
Ravenous + My Boyfriend's Back (1993) + The Demon (1980), Fri 13th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1538 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:03 pm

A very quiet post-Christmas week, with only BBC4 able to save the day. BBC4's world television strand begins the prequel series Mystery Road: Origins with the first two (of six total) episodes showing from 9 p.m. on Saturday 7th. At 8 p.m. on Sunday 8th there is an 'Americana-ised' version of Twelfth Night from a 2021 Globe Theatre production. The big news of the week is at 10 p.m. on Monday 9th when BBC4 shows the first episode of the latest Ken Burns series The US and the Holocaust.

BBC4 is also continuing its 'Wednesday archive television' strand into the new year with a repeat of a three episode 1992 Kingsley Amis adaptation The Old Devils from 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday 11th.
____
Only a couple of new films in the form of Channel 5 TV movies ("A Dangerous Affair" and "Big Lies in a Small Town") and the only big thing in terms of repeats is a welcome screening of Amores Perros on Film4 at 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday 10th as jlnight notes, although the more interesting rarity to me is earlier that day also on Film4 with the Dana Andrews and Donna Reed starring western Three Hours To Kill entering the rotation at 5:20 p.m. Which also has Carolyn Jones (Morticia Adams from the original TV series of The Addams Family!) and Whit Bissell in the supporting cast!

jlnight

#1539 Post by jlnight » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:19 am

Ghost of a Chance (CFF), Sat 14th Jan, Talking Pictures.
A High Wind in Jamaica, Sat 14th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 20th Jan.
Vanishing Point, Sat 14th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Wed 18th Jan. (ex-Moviedrome)
Images, Sat 14th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also late Mon 16th Jan.

The Last Angry Man, Sun 15th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 17th Jan.
The Lion (1962), Sun 15th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 19th Jan.

The Passing of the Third Floor Back, Tue 17th Jan, London Live.
On a Paving Stone Mounted, Tue 17th Jan, London Live.

Croupier, Wed 18th Jan, Film4.

You Only Live Once, Thu 19th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)

Dreamland (2019), Fri 20th Jan, Film4. Or...
Big Boys Don't Cry, Fri 20th Jan, London Live. Or...
The Company of Wolves + Killer Fish + The Ghoul (1933), Fri 20th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

CFF's The Chiffy Kids has appeared on London Live. Judging from the first couple of short films they are incredibly irritating and also possess an irritatingly catchy theme tune.

colinr0380

#1540 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:33 pm

Another rather quiet week next week until the second half. jlnight has noted the big event of the week, which is Film4 doing a Margot Robbie double premiere with Bombshell at 9 p.m. on Thursday 19th and Dreamland at 9 p.m. on Friday 20th. Unfortunately Dreamland clashes up against BBC3 showing the Julia Roberts film Ben Is Back at 9 p.m. the same evening.
___
Lots of interesting repeats though. jlnight has noted Film4 repeating Croupier, by the late Mike Hodges at 11:20 p.m. on Wednesday 18th. They also have a really rare screening of Blue Juice at 1 a.m. in the early hours of Tuesday 17th, which I seem to remember was the big 'capitalising on Ewan McGregor post-Trainspotting' film of the time (as well as one of Catherine Zeta-Jones's first feature film roles after her Darling Buds of May TV fame), trying to do a Cornish version of a surfing drama to match up with Big Wednesday or Point Break. Film4 also has Zhang Yimou's Shadow at 1:10 a.m. on Thursday 19th (just after Croupier)

Film4 also seem to currently be going through an unacknowledged Jack Lemmon season. Right at this exact moment they are showing The Wackiest Ship In The Army, and on Wednesday 18th at 2:25 p.m. Film4 is showing the Jack Lemmon-Robert Mitchum-Rita Hayworth love triangle film Fire Down Below. Most excitingly however they are also showing the George Cukor film It Should Happen To You at 3 p.m. on Thursday 19th, which may be the most exciting film scheduled for the week.

jlnight

#1541 Post by jlnight » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:08 pm

Heartland, Sat 21st Jan, London Live. (??)
Berberian Sound Studio, Sat 21st Jan, Film4.

Westwood: Punk - Icon - Activist, Sun 22nd Jan, BBC4.

Cisco Pike, Mon 23rd Jan, Talking Pictures. Also late Mon 30th Jan. (last on TV in 1999)

Welcome to Britain, Tue 24th Jan, London Live. (??)

The Flying Scotsman (1929), Thu 26th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)

Bright Hair + My Science Project + Blood Thirst, Fri 27th Jan, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1542 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm

The television schedules are still in that January slump but there are a couple of premieres next week, and it is a great week to find out about films that I had never been aware of the existence of before! Which may or may not turn out to be an ominous sign! Channel 4 is showing the Mark Wahlberg sci-fi film Infinite at 9 p.m. on Saturday 21st. And Film4 have two premieres during the week, the first being Fatherhood at 9 p.m. on Monday 23rd. That is followed by a repeat of the 1996 horror film The Craft at 11:10 p.m., which is significant because the other Film4 premiere of the week is the 24 years later unwieldy titled sequel Blumhouse's The Craft: Legacy at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 24th.

It is relatively quiet on the BBC next week, with most of the action involving a lead up to Holocaust Memorial Day on Friday 27th. Schindler's List turns up on BBC2 on Sunday 22nd and BBC4 on Thursday 26th and Denial is on BBC2 at 11:15 p.m. on Tuesday 24th. More notably BBC4's airing of the Ken Burns The US and the Holocaust series airs the third and final episode on Monday 23rd at 10 p.m. and the Storyville series shows the most interesting film of the week with the Helena Bonham Carter narrated Three Minutes: A Lengthening at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 24th.

In terms of the Freeview satellite channels, there are a couple of very belated premieres occurring. The Legend channel (formerly the Horror channel) is showing Red at 9 p.m. on Saturday 21st. No, not that one but a 2008 film co-directed by Lucky McKee (May; The Woman) and based on a Jack Ketchum novel (as The Woman was, though Red came out before that film) with Brian Cox seemingly beating out Keanu Reeves and doing a John Wick a decade avant la lettre! Although from that trailer it also looks as if it fits in with the 'old man vs uncouth youths/hoodie horror' subgenre of the time, fitting in with Eden Lake, Gran Torino, Harry Brown et al. Looking at imdb it has a list of well known names in the supporting cast: Tom Sizemore, Ashley Laurence (Kirsty from the Hellraiser films), Robert Englund and Amanda Plummer.

And tucked away on the Great Movies channel at 7:10 p.m. on Sunday 22nd is the Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek western team up in Bandidas. Which is the first feature from the Scandanavian directing pair of Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, who would later team up to direct the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean film (Sandberg would also solo direct the feature Amundsen, which bizarrely/serendipitously is being repeated on BBC4 at this very moment!)
___
Nothing stands out too much amongst the repeats of the week. jlnight has noted Film4's repeat of Berberian Sound Studio on Saturday 21st (which I wonder may be timed to coincide with the premiere of Infinite on Channel 4, since Toby Jones is in both films!). Film4 is showing a number of films that Indicator have recently released: Footsteps In The Fog on Monday 23rd and Friday 27th; Young Winston at 3:55 p.m. on Thursday 26th and John Ford's Gideon of Scotland Yard at 2:30 p.m. on Friday 27th.

Perhaps more notable are Film4's screenings of the Randolph Scott and Angela Lansbury western A Lawless Street at 1:10 p.m. on Tuesday 24th, followed by the Alaistair Sim film The Green Man at 2:45 p.m. (the first film directed by Robert Day, who a couple of years afterwards would direct a number of the films that were collected in Criterion's "Monsters & Madmen" set: The Haunted Strangler, Corridors of Blood and First Man Into Space)

jlnight

#1543 Post by jlnight » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 am

Treasure of the Golden Condor, Sat 28th Jan, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 31st Jan.
Master Cheng, Sat 28th Jan, BBC4. Or...
Strange Days, Sat 28th Jan, Talking Pictures.

The Swimmer, Mon 30th Jan, Film4. (on other channels before)

Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Tue 31st Jan, BBC2. (on BBC before)

Yesterday's Enemy, Thu 2nd Feb, Film4. (on other channels before) Or...
Let's Be Famous, Thu 2nd Feb, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)
Detachment (2011), Thu 2nd Feb, London Live.

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb + The Kiss (1988) + Midnight Fear, Fri 3rd Feb, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)
Bad Boys (1983), Fri 3rd Feb, Legend.

Heartland it turns out was a 1989 Anthony Hopkins BBC1 drama rather than the 1979 Richard Pearce film.

colinr0380

#1544 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:15 pm

The BBC have announced the run of films in the upcoming Storyville season on BBC4 following Three Minutes: A Lengthening this week. Next week on Tuesday 31st at 10 p.m. is Casa Susanna from Sébastien Lifshitz, director of Wild Side and Petit Fille.

Undated at the moment but upcoming are the Israeli film Blue Box, The Spy on Your Mobile (which is a retitling of the Global Spyware Scandal: Exposing Pegasus PBS Frontline documentary), the mandatory Russian/Ukrainian film of the run is going to be something called "Traitors and Heroes: Inside Russia", and the final film is something called "Sex on Screen" which is a retitling of the documentary Body Parts interviewing Hollywood actresses about their experience of sex scenes.

colinr0380

#1545 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:17 pm

Interesting next week. Channel 4 have two premieres on Saturday 28th of the fourth Chipmunks movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip at 11:15 a.m., in which the chipmunks get fired from their stripping jobs after the financial crisis of 2008 and decide to start robbing wealthy men to fund their singing careers; and at 9 p.m. is the film Hustlers where Jennifer Lopez and pals go on a fun road trip with lots of cute gags and only a little risque toilet humour.

Saturday 28th is the big film night of the week as BBC4 is showing Master Cheng at 9 p.m. (clashing with Hustlers) which is directed by Mika Kaurismaki. And Film4's one premiere of the week is that evening too, with the horror film Countdown at 11:50 p.m. (which annoyingly means that I need to refer to the Robert Altman film as Countdown (1967) now!)

The big news of the week however is that after a decade relegated to the internet wilderness Adam Curtis is back on the television, as BBC4 shows the first three episodes of TraumaZone: Russia 1985-1999 from 10 p.m. on Monday 30th. Presumably the last four will be coming over the next week or two.
___

Repeat-wise BBC4 has a big hitter in its classic TV strand on Wednesday 1st, with all four episodes of the 1987 Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson series Fortunes of War showing from 10 p.m.

Film4 have lots of Spielberg films scheduled during the week (Tintin, Raiders, Minority Report, Bridge of Spies, War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can) which seems to be occurring partly because of The Fablemans hitting the cinemas but also because they have managed to wrangle both Saving Private Ryan (showing on Tuesday 31st at 9 p.m.) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (showing on Thursday 2nd, also at 9 p.m.) away from Channel 5.

Film4 also continues with lots of repeats of films recently released by Indicator: The Swimmer as jlnight has mentioned, but a couple of films from the Harryhausen sets turn up (First Men In The Moon and Mysterious Island) two films from the John Ford at Columbia set (Gideon of Scotland Yard and The Last Hurrah in a double bill from 11 a.m. on Tuesday 31st. That is followed by The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance before things segue out of Ford and into the Spielberg double bill of Bridge of Spies and Saving Private Ryan) and a film from the third volume of the Hammer sets, Yesterday's Enemy at 2:45 p.m. on Thursday 2nd.

However the most exciting repeat of all on Film4 next week is a rare showing (last shown on BBC2 almost two decades ago) of the excellent 1949 version of All The King's Men at 4:25 p.m. on Wednesday 1st. I'd highly recommend tuning in for that one.

jlnight

#1546 Post by jlnight » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:45 am

Tarzan and The Trappers, Sat 4th Feb, Talking Pictures.
Smart Alec, Sat 4th Feb, Talking Pictures.
Jojo Rabbit, Sat 4th Feb, Channel 4.

Ennio, Sun 5th Feb, Sky Arts. Or...
Pavarotti, Sun 5th Feb, BBC4.

To Live and Die in L.A., Mon 6th Feb, Film4. Or...
Never Rarely Sometimes Always, Mon 6th Feb, BBC2.

Body Brokers, Tue 7th Feb, Film4.

The Lighthouse (2019), Wed 8th Feb, Film4.

Java Head, Thu 9th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)

The Wrong Box, Fri 10th Feb, Film4. (on other channels before)
The Long Good Friday, Fri 10th Feb, Film4. Or...
The Bride (1985) + The Boogie Man Will Get You + The Sadist (1963), Fri 10th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

Welcome to Britain it turns out WAS the 1976 Ben Lewin BFI film.

colinr0380

#1547 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:50 pm

I'm basically going to be repeating jlnight's post this week. The schedules are starting to rev up again with a few big films premiered. The biggest is of course The Lighthouse on Film4 at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 8th, although the RadioTimes also affords its highest 5 star 'outstanding' rating to Jojo Rabbit showing on Channel 4 at 9 p.m. on Saturday 4th, having impressively managed to completely miss Holocaust Memorial Day by over a week! Because showing Jennifer Lopez in Hustlers was more pressing? (The BBC seems to be jumping on the Taika Waititi love-in of the evening by showing the film of What We Do In The Shadows at 1:25 a.m. on BBC2 in the early hours of Saturday night/Sunday morning and then again at 11:20 p.m. over on BBC3 on Sunday 5th)

The BBC seems to be doing a season of 'youth social issue' films at the moment as after the recent premiere of drug-addiction drama Ben Is Back, BBC2 is showing teen abortion drama Never Rarely Sometimes Always at 11:15 p.m. on Monday 6th, unfortunately clashing with episodes 4 and 5 of TraumaZone over on BBC4 from 10 p.m. the same evening.

Meanwhile in just another ordinary day in Ohio, the leftfield film premiere of the week is Body Brokers on Film4 at 11:20 p.m. on Tuesday 7th.

And in terms of real curios that I am just learning about now, the Legend channel is showing John Cusack serial killer film The Factory at 9 p.m. on Saturday 4th (repeated the same time on Friday 10th) and Stephen Dorff trapped in a car trunk film Brake (which looks like Saw mixed with the Ryan Reynolds Buried film from that trailer. I saw a brief flash of Tom Berenger in there too!) at 9 p.m. on Thursday 9th.

In television terms along with TraumaZone continuing and the Fortunes of War series concluding on Wednesday 8th, BBC4's 'world television' series starts showing the Irish series North Sea Connection from 9 p.m. on Saturday 4th (clashing with Jojo Rabbit). And Channel 5 is doing the same thing it did with the Halo series and that recent Sylvester Stallone-starring series by showing just the first episode of 1923 starring Helen Mirren and Harrison Ford at 10 p.m. on Thursday 9th (which is apparently a prequel series to the Kevin Costner starring Yellowstone series, which also has not shown on UK television as yet) before directing audiences to watch the rest on its parent company, Paramount+'s, streaming service. So that may be interesting to check out with the proviso that the rest of the show will not be broadcast.
____
Repeat-wise, jlnight has noted the most interesting films of the week with Film4 repeating To Live And Die In L.A. at 11 p.m. on Monday 6th (which I do not think has shown on television since a Channel 4 screening back in 2001!) and The Long Good Friday (which has not appeared on television since the mid-2000s as well). The Long Good Friday is a great film once you get past the rather purposefully confusing first five minutes or so, and is really a two-hander between Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren as the Thatcher era equivalent of the Macbeths! (It might be worth linking to the 1982 Barry Norman interview with Hoskins where they walk around London talking about its development)

Film4 continues to show more Indicator-released films with the Humphrey Bogart Dead Reckoning showing on Monday 6th at 11 a.m. and Friday 10th at 12:55 p.m. and The Wrong Box at 4:45 p.m. on Friday 10th. And Cold War is showing also on Film4 at 1:25 a.m. on Monday 6th.

jlnight

#1548 Post by jlnight » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:32 pm

Rage (1966), Sat 11th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also late Wed 15th Feb. Or...
O Mary This London, Sat 11th Feb, London Live.
Spell (2020), Sat 11th Feb, Film4.

Mr Winkle Goes To War, Sun 12th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Thu 16th Feb.
The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues, Sun 12th Feb, Legend. Or...
Gloria (1980), Sun 12th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Tue 21st Feb.

Two and Two Make Six, Tue 14th Feb, London Live. (been on TPTV)

Number Seventeen (1932), Thu 16th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)

Vampira + Berserk! + King of the Zombies, Fri 17th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)

colinr0380

#1549 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:53 am

Really good on television next week with lots of interesting premieres. BBC2 has a couple of notable premieres with the Thomas Vinterberg's 2018 film Kursk: The Last Mission (called The Command in the US) showing at 10 p.m. on Sunday 12th, with a cast including Colin Firth, Lea Seydoux and Max von Sydow! Plus Pernilla August (aka Anakin's mother in The Phantom Menace! But also from Fanny & Alexander and the Bergman biopic film The Best Intentions), Zlatko Buric and Steven Waddington (from the Antonia Bird film Face) amongst the supporting cast! With a cast like that, it is rather surprising that the film sank without trace at the cinema, though presumably the depressing nature of the story may have been a factor.

The second of BBC2's premieres is of Todd Haynes' Dark Waters at 11:15 p.m. on Tuesday 14th. BBC4's classic television strand also takes a conspiratorial tone with a repeat of the first four episodes of the 1985 original series of Edge of Darkness at 10 p.m. on Wednesday 15th (presumably the final two episodes will follow the Wednesday after), and the Storyville series showing The Spy In Your Mobile at 10 p.m. on Tuesday 14th.

On the other side, Channel 4 are attempting to premiere Infinite again at 9 p.m. on Saturday 11th. Film4 has a spooky week with Spell showing at 11:15 p.m. on Saturday 11th (which the RadioTimes compares to Misery but from the look of that trailer it seems very videogame influenced, being a mix of Outlast 2 and the Bedroom DLC of Resident Evil 7 (NSFW)) and the biggest film of the week Hereditary at 9 p.m. on Wednesday 15th. Will Toni Collette be able to keep her head whilst all around her are losing theirs?
___
Repeat-wise, the most exciting film of the week is Film4 showing the 1954 Alec Guinness film The Detective at 3 p.m. on Thursday 16th which is both a reteaming of Guinness with his Kind Hearts and Coronets director Robert Hamer and an early screen appearance of G.K. Chesterton's investigative figure Father Brown (played by Guinness), most recently turned into an long running afternoon BBC series.

Also on Thursday 16th, Film4 is showing Fritz Lang's Ministry of Fear at 11 a.m. and the 1986 No Way Out film at 11:15 p.m.

And in case Dark Waters does not strike you as a romantic date film there is no escape from Richard Curtis on Valentine's day with Film4 showing Four Weddings and a Funeral at 9 p.m. whilst ITV1 shows Notting Hill at 10:45 p.m., which means they both clash together! (ITV2 is also inevitably showing Valentine's Day too). Film4's roster of films for that evening are Sense and Sensibility, Four Weddings, The Shape of Water and The Duke of Burgundy, so they are covering the bases with something 'romantic' for all proclivities there!

jlnight

#1550 Post by jlnight » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:27 pm

The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse (1962), Sat 18th Feb, 5Action.
Convict Stage, Sat 18th Feb, Talking Pictures. Also Fri 24th Feb.
Stone, Scissors, Paper, Sat 18th Feb, London Live. (another BBC Screen Two like O Mary This London)
Swallow (2019), Sat 18th Feb, Film4.

The Smuggler, Sun 19th Feb, BBC2.
An Unsuitable Job For a Woman, late Sun 19th Feb, Film4. (on before)

Zoo Robbery (CFF), Mon 20th Feb, London Live.

The Girl and the Spider, late Tue 21st Feb, Film4.

Pendulum, Wed 22nd Feb, Talking Pictures.

Radio Parade of 1935, Thu 23rd Feb, Talking Pictures. (Melvyn's Talking Pictures)
Dancehall Queen, late Thu 23rd Feb, Film4.

Pixie (2020) + Bull (2021), Fri 24th Feb, Film4.
Doctor Faustus + Shadow of the Hawk + Teenage Zombies (1959), Fri 24th Feb, Talking Pictures. (Cellar Club)