Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Monkey Ballz
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 pm

Re: Passages

#9551 Post by Monkey Ballz » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:31 am

J. W. Rinzler died July 28. He assembled three thorough and massive "making-of" books about the original Star Wars trilogy, as well as similar volumes for Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. And his astonishing, back-breaking two-volume set about the great Rick Baker might be the most impressive book ever dedicated to a below-the-line crew member.

Rinzler was a Lucasfilm employee, so the SW books aren't necessarily as critical or exhaustive as they could be, but they're still a delight, and anyone who was a youngster when the original films were released will recognize that they share at least some of the same qualities that made earlier, nascent "making-of" books so charming.

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Passages

#9552 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:41 pm

Tony Mendez, Letterman's "cue card boy" back in August, and, today Alan Kalter, Letterman's Late Show announcer.

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Passages

#9553 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 am

dwk wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:41 pm
Tony Mendez, Letterman's "cue card boy" back in August, and, today Alan Kalter, Letterman's Late Show announcer.
This is telling:
In 1984, nearing 40, he returned to flipping cards, this time for “Saturday Night Live,” where he stayed for nine years.

“It was the most stressful job I ever had,” he told The New Yorker. “The hosts were totally freaked out. They would all try to memorize, and I would tell them that the script was going to be changing until the last minute, so they had to follow me [and read off the cards].”
This may be one of the most common complaints about SNL, but I guess it's a necessity.

User avatar
fdm
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:25 pm

Re: Passages

#9554 Post by fdm » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:49 pm


User avatar
Feego
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Passages

#9555 Post by Feego » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:56 am

Shane Briant, back in May.

Kauno
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:01 am

Re: Passages

#9556 Post by Kauno » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:48 pm


User avatar
bearcuborg
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Philadelphia via Chicago

Re: Passages

#9557 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:42 am

Granville Adams of Oz fame, after a lengthy battle with cancer.

One of the great benefits of Tom Fontana, and David Simon’s work was their ability to create roles for people of color. Granville was one of those guys who was magnificent on Oz, and Homicide but didn’t get the opportunity to do more.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Passages

#9558 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm

His Arif was a great secondary character who was admittedly overshadowed by design by Said but who also helped to highlight his strengths, hypocrisies, and struggles by his omnipresence in the orbit. So much ridiculous talent in the series, wish more were able to have the breakout success of JK Simmons after the series

User avatar
flyonthewall2983
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Passages

#9559 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm
His Arif was a great secondary character who was admittedly overshadowed by design by Said but who also helped to highlight his strengths, hypocrisies, and struggles by his omnipresence in the orbit. So much ridiculous talent in the series, wish more were able to have the breakout success of JK Simmons after the series
The anecdote Lee Tergesen tells about texting Simmons after winning an Academy Award is a good one

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Passages

#9560 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm
His Arif was a great secondary character who was admittedly overshadowed by design by Said but who also helped to highlight his strengths, hypocrisies, and struggles by his omnipresence in the orbit. So much ridiculous talent in the series, wish more were able to have the breakout success of JK Simmons after the series
The anecdote Lee Tergesen tells about texting Simmons after winning an Academy Award is a good one
Wow, this whole thing was such a great read. Only spoilers for season one in it, too, for anyone not all the way through the series

User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: Passages

#9561 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:15 am

Veteran Disney animator Ruthie Tompson, at the age of 111. Her credits go back to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

User avatar
bearcuborg
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Philadelphia via Chicago

Re: Passages

#9562 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:35 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm
His Arif was a great secondary character who was admittedly overshadowed by design by Said but who also helped to highlight his strengths, hypocrisies, and struggles by his omnipresence in the orbit. So much ridiculous talent in the series, wish more were able to have the breakout success of JK Simmons after the series
The anecdote Lee Tergesen tells about texting Simmons after winning an Academy Award is a good one
Wow, this whole thing was such a great read. Only spoilers for season one in it, too, for anyone not all the way through the series
I picked up the DVD boxset from Walmart this past summer, it’s well worth it for $30 (the sale at the time). There are several hours of wonderful commentaries. Watching it again, I found myself laughing a lot more. You can see how much fun the cast had.

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Passages

#9563 Post by L.A. » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:01 pm

Deon Estus, bassist for Wham! and George Michael.

User avatar
Dr Amicus
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:20 am
Location: Guernsey

Re: Passages

#9564 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:28 pm


User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Passages

#9565 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:52 am


User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Passages

#9566 Post by dwk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:28 pm


User avatar
willoneill
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Passages

#9567 Post by willoneill » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 am


User avatar
MichaelB
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Worthing
Contact:

Re: Passages

#9568 Post by MichaelB » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:38 pm


User avatar
dadaistnun
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:31 am

Re: Passages

#9569 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am

Martha Henry, renowned Canadian stage actress. Offstage, she mostly did Canadian tv. One of her few film roles was in Olivier Assayas's Clean as the mother of Maggie Cheung's boyfriend. She's not in the film much, but the scene where she & Nick Nolte
SpoilerShow
receive the news of their son's death is very well done: shot from afar, no dialogue audible, just her stricken body language to convey what she's been told.

User avatar
Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Passages

#9570 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 pm

dadaistnun wrote:Martha Henry, renowned Canadian stage actress. Offstage, she mostly did Canadian tv. One of her few film roles was in Olivier Assayas's Clean as the mother of Maggie Cheung's boyfriend. She's not in the film much, but the scene where she & Nick Nolte
SpoilerShow
receive the news of their son's death is very well done: shot from afar, no dialogue audible, just her stricken body language to convey what she's been told.
Wow, she was a staple at the Shakespeare festival in Stratford, Ontario. I saw her many times growing up, and was lucky to see her bravura turn as Prospero in The Tempest a few years ago.

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Passages

#9571 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:31 pm


User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Passages

#9572 Post by cdnchris » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:58 pm


Mr Sausage wrote:
dadaistnun wrote:Martha Henry, renowned Canadian stage actress. Offstage, she mostly did Canadian tv. One of her few film roles was in Olivier Assayas's Clean as the mother of Maggie Cheung's boyfriend. She's not in the film much, but the scene where she & Nick Nolte
SpoilerShow
receive the news of their son's death is very well done: shot from afar, no dialogue audible, just her stricken body language to convey what she's been told.
Wow, she was a staple at the Shakespeare festival in Stratford, Ontario. I saw her many times growing up, and was lucky to see her bravura turn as Prospero in The Tempest a few years ago.
Yep, recall seeing her perform a few times in high school, and she was well known around town, so this one's a bit more impactful personally. Sadly, I haven't been back at the theater since, maybe, 2001 or so...

User avatar
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Passages

#9573 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Halyna Hutchins discussion moved here

User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Passages

#9574 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 pm


User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Passages

#9575 Post by L.A. » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:12 pm

Wakefield Poole passed away on Wednesday. He was 85.

Post Reply