All of Us Strangers (Andrew Haigh, 2023)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:28 am

It would be extraordinarily difficult for me to be objective about Andrew Haigh’s tremendous All of Us Strangers, so I’m not even going to try. It’d be better to go into the experience as blind as you can, so some of this is spoilered even though I’m not giving much away.

Haigh, already a noteworthy creator of quietly powerful imagery and soundscapes, takes a significant leap forward in both ambition and accomplishment here; the opening shot of this film immediately signals Haigh’s intent to stretch cinematographer Jamie Ramsay’s considerable talents as far as they’ll go. Shooting on film also lends a texture that perfectly complements the film’s exploration of liminal spaces and memory. The small cast, meanwhile, is uniformly great, but Andrew Scott’s lead performance here is absolutely devastating and deserving of your time and attention.
SpoilerShow
Haigh has already made something of a sneaky ghost story in 45 Years, so that he revisited the genre more explicitly isn’t entirely out of character. What is out of character is the emotional directness and stylistic intensity (there are moments that evoke Jacob’s Ladder, of all things — not a film I would have ever linked to Haigh before yesterday) he deploys in telling the story of Adam (Scott), a man in his forties living alone in a barely populated apartment building who kindles a (simultaneously touching and very sexy) relationship with a neighbor, (Paul Mescal, who continues to just exude charisma from his pores). He also discovers, less prosaically, that he is able to return to his childhood home and visit his parents (Jamie Bell and Claire Foy), still the age they were when they died in his childhood. His reengagement with them and his developing romance combine to push him to the edges of his understanding of those relationships, the boundaries of reality, and himself.

I’m actually not going to talk too much more about the film itself, so feel free to bail out now, but to add context to my personal response: 20 years ago, my parents died suddenly and unexpectedly less than 18 months apart. I had just turned 19 when my father died, and was barely 20 when my mother died. I’m only just coming to terms with the way the gravity well of my childhood and those losses and others have distorted and stunted my ability to maintain healthy relationships; there’s a monologue by Scott about two-thirds through the film that matches nearly word-for-word some of my attempts to articulate that pain — just one of a dozen instances where I felt like Haigh’s script had been constructed in a lab specifically to wreck me. I spent most of the last 45 minutes struggling to see the screen and trying not to shake the whole row of theater seats.

Obviously, not everyone will relate as intensely to the film’s specifics — just as I can’t totally relate to the details of queer life that Haigh so delicately observes — but I think there are so many avenues into the emotional cores of the film that I imagine most adults who are open to the experience will find themselves carrying it with them, as I will.
As a queer romance, as a powerful visual experience, and as a cathartic engagement with the people and forces that shape, scar, strengthen us, I strongly suspect at least a few others here will join me in treasuring the emotional experience Haigh has created, and maybe even in considering it the best film of the year by a good margin.

diamonds

Re: Festival Circuit 2023

#2 Post by diamonds » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:35 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:28 am
It would be extraordinarily difficult for me to be objective about Andrew Haigh’s tremendous All of Us Strangers, so I’m not even going to try. It’d be better to go into the experience as blind as you can, so some of this is spoilered even though I’m not giving much away.

Haigh, already a noteworthy creator of quietly powerful imagery and soundscapes, takes a significant leap forward in both ambition and accomplishment here; the opening shot of this film immediately signals Haigh’s intent to stretch cinematographer Jamie Ramsay’s considerable talents as far as they’ll go. Shooting on film also lends a texture that perfectly complements the film’s exploration of liminal spaces and memory. The small cast, meanwhile, is uniformly great, but Andrew Scott’s lead performance here is absolutely devastating and deserving of your time and attention.
SpoilerShow
Haigh has already made something of a sneaky ghost story in 45 Years, so that he revisited the genre more explicitly isn’t entirely out of character. What is out of character is the emotional directness and stylistic intensity (there are moments that evoke Jacob’s Ladder, of all things — not a film I would have ever linked to Haigh before yesterday) he deploys in telling the story of Adam (Scott), a man in his forties living alone in a barely populated apartment building who kindles a (simultaneously touching and very sexy) relationship with a neighbor, (Paul Mescal, who continues to just exude charisma from his pores). He also discovers, less prosaically, that he is able to return to his childhood home and visit his parents (Jamie Bell and Claire Foy), still the age they were when they died in his childhood. His reengagement with them and his developing romance combine to push him to the edges of his understanding of those relationships, the boundaries of reality, and himself.

I’m actually not going to talk too much more about the film itself, so feel free to bail out now, but to add context to my personal response: 20 years ago, my parents died suddenly and unexpectedly less than 18 months apart. I had just turned 19 when my father died, and was barely 20 when my mother died. I’m only just coming to terms with the way the gravity well of my childhood and those losses and others have distorted and stunted my ability to maintain healthy relationships; there’s a monologue by Scott about two-thirds through the film that matches nearly word-for-word some of my attempts to articulate that pain — just one of a dozen instances where I felt like Haigh’s script had been constructed in a lab specifically to wreck me. I spent most of the last 45 minutes struggling to see the screen and trying not to shake the whole row of theater seats.

Obviously, not everyone will relate as intensely to the film’s specifics — just as I can’t totally relate to the details of queer life that Haigh so delicately observes — but I think there are so many avenues into the emotional cores of the film that I imagine most adults who are open to the experience will find themselves carrying it with them, as I will.
As a queer romance, as a powerful visual experience, and as a cathartic engagement with the people and forces that shape, scar, strengthen us, I strongly suspect at least a few others here will join me in treasuring the emotional experience Haigh has created, and maybe even in considering it the best film of the year by a good margin.
DarkImbecile, have you seen Nobuhiko Obayashi's adaptation of the same novel, The Discarnates (1988)?

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#3 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:43 am

diamonds wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:35 am
DarkImbecile, have you seen Nobuhiko Obayashi's adaptation of the same novel, The Discarnates (1988)?
No, but my understanding is that Haigh’s version is a pretty substantial departure from the novel; he took the core concept but personalized much of the rest, going so far as to shoot in his childhood home and incorporate family photos into the narrative.

diamonds

#4 Post by diamonds » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:39 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:43 am
No, but my understanding is that Haigh’s version is a pretty substantial departure from the novel; he took the core concept but personalized much of the rest, going so far as to shoot in his childhood home and incorporate family photos into the narrative.
I can't comment on the novel, but I've seen the Obayashi and have been excited to see Haigh's approach. Obayashi's film certainly has a very acute understanding of nostalgia, both its spellbinding allure and its tendency to trap and arrest the one caught up in it. Sensitive and devastating, just as you describe of Haigh's. But it also has
SpoilerShow
a Dorian Gray-esque subplot that plays with horror elements and which climaxes in a scene I found a bit difficult to square with the delicate emotions in the rest of the film. It's a burst of expressionism that makes sense from the guy that did Hausu but seems unimaginable within Haigh's restrained style, so I just assumed Haigh would do away with it entirely. But I was curious if All of Us Strangers ended up with any horror elements (aside from the core ghost story component).
Regardless, I would recommend anyone interested in this type of story seek it out. A good film with some pretty extraordinary moments.

TMDaines

Re: The Films of 2023

#5 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:57 pm

The final few minutes of All of Us Strangers are so, so perfect. Not had a film just leave me so heavily weighed down in my seat whilst the credits roll like that one did for a long while. 2023 has been seriously strong for the films contending for the major awards and this might be the pick of them all for me. I loved everything about it and so envious of anyone who can sculpt a piece of art like that.

Finch

Re: Poor Things (Yorgos Lanthimos, 2023)

#6 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:42 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm
I saw that news on Twitter last night from Adam Yeend (of Pixelogic or something adjacent). He also said that All of Us Strangers is not getting a physical release of any kind! These are both (Disney-owned) Searchlight Pictures releases.

Getting very difficult these days to find a distributor who will guarantee both a theatrical release and a full physical media release.
That's very disappointing news about All of Us Strangers if true. I've been looking for a release listing for months. Hopefully Criterion (who of course have Haigh's Weekend) or another boutique label can twist Searchlight/Disney's arm and license it.

Roscoe

Re: The Films of 2023

#7 Post by Roscoe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:53 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:57 pm
The final few minutes of All of Us Strangers are so, so perfect. Not had a film just leave me so heavily weighed down in my seat whilst the credits roll like that one did for a long while. 2023 has been seriously strong for the films contending for the major awards and this might be the pick of them all for me. I loved everything about it and so envious of anyone who can sculpt a piece of art like that.
Funny how mileage will vary -- it was the last few minutes that I really disliked, after being left limp in my seat until, well, you know what happens. I didn't buy it at all.

And badly disappointing about the apparent lack of a physical media release. It would have been an instant pre-order.

Matt

#8 Post by Matt » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:18 pm

It could just be that there will be no physical release from Searchlight/Disney and the physical media rights were sold to someone else (Criterion). Seems unlikely though as Searchlight was in on the production, not just a distributor. Disney also distributed in the UK, so probably no hope of an import either.

TMDaines

Re: All of Us Strangers (Andrew Haigh, 2023)

#9 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 pm

My wife bought me the book the film was adapted from today. A lovely last minute bonus Valentine’s gift.

Reviewing some of the nominations for this season, I can somewhat understand Scott being overlooked for an Academy Award nod, but how did he not get nominated for the Baftas closer to home?

The Curious Sofa

#10 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:31 am

I agree with DarkImbecile that it may depend how the movie, emotionally connects on a personal level and oh boy, did it do that for me. So glad I didn't see this at the cinema, I was a mess by the time the credits rolled. Apart from coming to terms with one's past, for me it's a film about loneliness, specifically about gay loneliness and even though I'm about a decade older than the protagonist, there are specifics about his life of growing up in London in the 80s, that really resonate (the clubbing scene was even shot in one of my favourite London haunts, The Royal Vauxhall Tavern). The movie it reminds me of the most of
SpoilerShow
is The Ghost and Mrs Muir, where the end devastates me in a similar way, only that the lover having been a ghost all along, is a twist in this film and it floored me. The ghost in both films represents an absence, a fantasy which confirms the lead character's deep loneliness and the metaphysical ending transcending death, underlines that.
I agree that it's puzzling how Andrew Scott has been overlooked for major awards, one of the best actors working giving the performance of a life time. It's his understatement which makes him so effective in his vulnerability, so maybe it's that. He is matched every step by Mescal and the rest of the small cast. I'm really looking forward to Scott in Ripley, in the Netflix series.

Andrew Haigh has made what for me are the two great gay, romantic movies, weepies both, that earn their tears. Apart from his debut film Greek Pete, an experiment that didn't quite work, there isn't a film of his that didn't touch me deeply. I still haven't watched his mini-series The North Water and I guess it's in a different register but this also serves as a reminder to change that.

Forrest Taft

#11 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:15 pm

SpoilerShow
Until the last ten minutes, I thought this was fabulous.

I think my problem with the ending comes from me never considering this as a ghost story. The story I experienced was of a very lonely man who had lost his parents decades ago. He was working on a screenplay somehow relating to his parents, and as a result of this, memories of the past, combined with daydreaming, made him connect with his deceaced parents with a force he had never experienced before. And these imagined, but felt, conversations with his parents gave him an opportunity to process memories of his childhood, but also his loneliness in life. Parallell to this, he also met a man, and fell in love for the first time. The process he went through with his parents, had an extra meaning for him, as he now faced the very real possibility of a future life he could share with someone else.

Imagine my disappointment then, when Mescal turned out to be a ghost. The story I experienced was not leading up to this ending. Would love to be convinced otherwise though, because as the film ended, it turned out not to be one of the finest of recent years after all, just a good one. I saw it at the cinema, but was lucky enough to be alone at the screening, as I certainly won't deny the emotinal impact it had on me many times while it lasted, and I've been thinking a lot of my father today. So, if nothing else, I'm thankful to Andrew Haigh and Andrew Scott for that.

The Curious Sofa

#12 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:43 am

SpoilerShow
I thought the setting of a modern London high rise with just two occupants, already was a haunted and slightly unreal location. That set up both the film's main theme but also a framework where I accepted the parents as ghosts, rather than just memories, though as they do here, ghosts often function as memories that hold on to the present. The parents are aware that they are dead and ask their son specific questions about the nature of their deaths, which goes beyond mere memory.

What makes Mescal's ghost different and even more tragic is that he was still alive in his first scene, where he plants himself in Scott's character as a romantic projection or longing. He could have been saved and the romance plays out like an alternate reality, the reveal that Mescal died puts an end to that fantasy, even if it grants Scott a final, metaphysical moment of grace. I don't think the film would work had they become a happy couple, it sticks to its guns when it sees this tale about loneliness through to its bitter end, which reflects my worst nightmare of urban isolation, where people die in their apartments, alone and unnoticed.
Andrew Haigh has become a filmmaker where the pieces come together at the end. Be that the train station scene of Weekend, the last moments at the wedding anniversary in 45 Years, the protagonist of The North Water (which I finally watched over the last couple of evenings)
SpoilerShow
returning to civilisation and finding that it is harsher than being lost in the Arctic and, to a lesser degree but in a rare upbeat ending, the drifter kid in Lean on Pete getting a guardian and a chance of security.
Only the end of the movie that caps off Looking feels less satisfying, I would have preferred two or three more seasons to the prematurely cancelled HBO series. The only thing Haigh has done I don't much care for is his debut feature Greek Pete, where the semi-improvised drama-documentary approach doesn't work for me. Weekend was a dramatic leap in quality and is where Haigh found his voice and style, which has been consistent ever since.

Matt

#13 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

Forrest Taft wrote:
SpoilerShow
I think my problem with the ending comes from me never considering this as a ghost story. The story I experienced was of a very lonely man who had lost his parents decades ago.

Imagine my disappointment then, when Mescal turned out to be a ghost. The story I experienced was not leading up to this ending.
I’m of the same opinion. To paraphrase Lady Bracknell:
SpoilerShow
”To lose one’s parents, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose one’s boyfriend as well looks like carelessness.”

But even though this revelation kind of ruined the movie for me (which I already thought was Haigh’s weakest), I am haunted by the idea of imagining a relationship with someone you only met once.

My personal interpretation, though, is that the whole film is imagined as Adam works on a screenplay. He’s searching his memory and imagination for inspiration, imagining conversations and relationships that didn’t happen. It’s a kind of Beau Is Afraid extended nightmare (we see Adam waking from nightmares a couple of times). Maybe he did meet Harry after the fire alarm but never saw him again and just spun out a story in his head to see where it might have gone.
Disappointed that I didn’t find in it what many others did. Which surprises me because there is more in this film that mirrors my own life than in Weekend or 45 Years, both of which affected me much more.

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:17 am

Over at the other forum, someone found a listing and cover for a German BD of the film. The Searchlight logo is at the bottom of the spine so if nothing else, we can at least import.

Finch

#15 Post by Finch » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 pm

UK BD in June.
A compelling exploration of love, family and grief, this unique film from director Andrew Haigh (45 Years, Weekend) will be available on DVD and Blu-ray™ from 17th June, with bonus content and including a limited edition, exclusive A3 poster with the Blu-ray

Roots of the Story
Building Adam’s World