Hellraiser (David Bruckner, 2022)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Mr Sausage

Re: Hellraiser (David Bruckner, 2022)

#26 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:50 am

I wasn't huge on the movie either, but can we at least agree that "just another Hellraiser sequel" means shoehorning the cenobites into an unrelated spec script? It's been like 15 years since Hellraiser has had this kind of sequel.

The Curious Sofa

#27 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:19 am

A brief I-don't-have-anything-better-to-do-right-now-check reveals that only 3 of the 9 previous Hellraiser sequels started out as unrelated spec scripts.

Mr Sausage

#28 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:58 am

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:19 am
A brief I-don't-have-anything-better-to-do-right-now-check reveals that only 3 of the 9 previous Hellraiser sequels started out as unrelated spec scripts.
Oh? I thought Inferno, Hellseeker, Deader, and Hellworld were that way. If one of them isn't, it's impossible to tell, they all feel like unrelated scripts tweaked to become series entries.

My real lapse was forgetting all about Revelations and Judgement (can you blame me, tho'?). Although, while they are original scripts, they were produced only so the production company could retain their rights to the series.

So, yeah, I didn't think the new one felt like the above movies at all.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#29 Post by cdnchris » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:13 pm

I'm pretty sure Inferno, Deader, and Hellworld were the ones that started out as different scripts. I remember reading or hearing maybe in an interview (though can't confirm it) that Hellseeker was written as a Hellraiser film but expanding on what Inferno set up with the addition of Ashley Laurence.

Mr Sausage

Hellraiser (David Bruckner, 2022)

#30 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:26 pm

That’s the one where Dean Winters loosely replays The Machinist before the ending reveals it’s all the Cenobites, right? It may not’ve been a preexisting spec script, but it sure plays as someone’s non-Hellraiser story idea they turned to once brought on board.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#31 Post by cdnchris » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:35 pm

I haven't seen it since it was released but yes, that's the one. It's basically set up the same as Inferno and is predictable (and far duller) because of it but adds something of a twist when it's revealed
SpoilerShow
Laurence's Kirsty has made a deal with Pinhead to give him Winters and other souls in place of her's after she was tricked into opening the box, or something.

knives

#32 Post by knives » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:00 pm

I’ll join the chorus of meh. The opening promises an A24 style metaphor for addiction in lieu of the sexuality of previous films which is pretty interesting. Sadly, the second act came across as some Scooby Doo antics to me and that’s even before the Mystery Machine pops up. I think it’s the Jeffrey Epstein character was the most interesting part for me since everything to do with him, especially that discussion on sensation against power is made fascinating for the short time it’s on screen.