The Munsters (Rob Zombie, 2022)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
cantinflas

The Munsters (Rob Zombie, 2022)

#1 Post by cantinflas » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:20 pm

Matt

Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm

Makes Munster, Go Home! look like Red Desert. What is the audience for something this cheap and puerile? It feel like movies are just made to be bad now so they end up as memes and only inadvertently make money. Is there time to add a Minions cameo or a Morbius walk-on?

EDIT: Oh, I get it, I think they’re going for a What We Do in the Shadows vibe but missed by a mile.

criterionsnob

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#3 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:58 pm

I actually thought that was a fake trailer, and couldn't even watch the whole thing when I realized it was real.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:59 pm

Knowing absolutely nothing about Rob Zombie’s personal or professional filmmaking life, after watching this trailer, let me guess: this horrific anonymous actress trying to be Yvonne de Carlo is his wife?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#5 Post by Never Cursed » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:07 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm
Makes Munster, Go Home! look like Red Desert. What is the audience for something this cheap and puerile? It feel like movies are just made to be bad now so they end up as memes and only inadvertently make money. Is there time to add a Minions cameo or a Morbius walk-on?

EDIT: Oh, I get it, I think they’re going for a What We Do in the Shadows vibe but missed by a mile.
criterionsnob wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:58 pm
I actually thought that was a fake trailer, and couldn't even watch the whole thing when I realized it was real.
Huh? I'm not saying anything about this looks appealing (argument 10 million against Film Twitter was watching so many of its denizens fall over praising its alleged "charm"), but I don't see anything really ironic or Troma-esque about what's happening here. What I was getting is that it's a shoestring spoof of Zombie's internal idea of campy 50s/60s creature features; I don't detect the sarcasm necessary for a meme appeal, after all, Zombie clearly loves this type of movie. If I had to guess who the target audience for this was, I wouldn't say teens or young people, but rather grown fans of MST3K-type stuff who now have kids of their own. I can't imagine the zoomers are gonna recognize, among other supporting cast members, the seventh incarnation of the Doctor or Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, but I know who would. Yeah, this is more or less a no-budget DreamWorks movie for the MST crowd.

All that said,
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:59 pm
Knowing absolutely nothing about Rob Zombie’s personal or professional filmmaking life, after watching this trailer, let me guess: this horrific anonymous actress trying to be Yvonne de Carlo is his wife?
Ding ding ding!

Computer Raheem

#6 Post by Computer Raheem » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 pm

cantinflas wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:20 pm
The Munsters
domino harvey wrote:
Is it that obvious to outsiders looking in? :shock:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:
She's the lead actress in basically every single one of his films

knives

#8 Post by knives » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:56 pm

She has given good performances in the past. That said this does not look good in anyway.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:36 pm

I would certainly stick up for Sheri Moon Zombie in Lords of Salem, which was her biggest role so far, even if I cannot wholeheartedly endorse the film!

I'm not feeling that enthused by the trailer for The Munsters either, which looks too arch and knowing, like something that should have come out before the 1991 Addams Family film which it will inevitably get compared to. And despite its PG rating on that trailer, it being a Rob Zombie film means that I am nervous about where the inevitable verbally abusive redneck family scene is going to turn up in the film!

A quick trawl of imdb to see what well known cult names that Zombie is getting into his supporting cast this time around reveals that Dee Wallace is in there (she was also in the 2007 Halloween and The Lords of Salem) and perhaps more strangely ex-Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy is playing Igor! Plus Butch Patrick and Pat Priest, aka the original Munster kids, are in there, with this being Priest's first appearance since a 1995 Munsters TV movie!

therewillbeblus

#10 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:35 pm

I really loathed Lords of Salem, but I recognize that as a subjective distaste of my own around Zombie's style, and can somewhat understand why her perf there could appeal to some. It's definitely not a fearful performance, so there's some admiration for her undertaking, even if it doesn't add up to much in favor of the movie itself!

Back on topic, here's a trailer for She Said, a movie about the Weinstein case journalists, because of course

Mr Sausage

#11 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:46 pm

I haven’t liked any of Rob Zombie’s movies, either, but they were at least real movies, made professionally. So I was genuinely taken aback at how amateurish this new one looks. It seems like a home movie.

Computer Raheem

#12 Post by Computer Raheem » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:39 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:46 pm
I haven’t liked any of Rob Zombie’s movies, either, but they were at least real movies, made professionally. So I was genuinely taken aback at how amateurish this new one looks. It seems like a home movie.
Allegedly (and by allegedly, I mean I read it somewhere that didn't back it up with a source), this film cost $40 million to produce. I'm trying to figure out where the money went 8-[
Last edited by Computer Raheem on Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Ryan

#13 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Yes,the dialogue seems poorly recorded or mixed, as if it was simply captured on a smart phone.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Munsters (Rob Zombie, 2022)

#14 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:52 pm

After the widespread mockery, the studio has dumped this at Netflix

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:22 pm

I am going to say something that might make me look extremely foolish months from now, but will certainly make me look foolish today.

The trailer for this film seems to be going for a sitcommy, shaggy, fun aesthetic that doesn't immediately repel me. It is, in fact, not entirely dissimilar to the original series - cheap sets, ridiculous costumes... After several films of varying success but certainly a professional pedigree, sure this might be a disaster, but it won't be because of an inherent lack of awareness of how to make a film with some level of budget.

Might be terrible. But I'm not put off by what we've seen so far. Zombie is a massive Munsters fanatic and this is his dream project - I don't believe for a second that he deliberately pissed it down his leg.

therewillbeblus

#16 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:55 pm

Okay I finally watched the trailer, and while I don't think this looks good at all, I think mfunk is right that this is deliberately trying to look the way it does. That doesn't mean that it's a movie I'll see, but that's because I have no interest in what I'm seeing, and not because of its offbeat aesthetic choices in a vacuum. I was reminded more than a few times of Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical's eclectic approach to its look and feel (no doubt also intentionally aping a ridiculous source).. This just seems like a one-star version of that movie's five-star job

Black Hat

#17 Post by Black Hat » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:42 am

Despite knowing Al Lewis, the nicest guy in the world, from having a ton of friends who lived on Roosevelt Island growing up, I never really got down with The Munsters, nor have I seen any Rob Zombie movies, but this seems very much to be an homage to all those 60s shows with a nod to the couple around in the 80s/90s. The Super Mario Brothers show, for one, comes to mind. I was very surprised by what I saw in that trailer and, I gotta say, I'm into it. Seems to have the potential to be very funny.

Feego

#18 Post by Feego » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:35 am

The only Zombie films I’ve seen are his two Halloweens, and while I can’t say I was a great fan of either, there’s no denying he has a distinctive aesthetic and style. I was genuinely intrigued by the notion of Zombie directing a PG-rated movie and how he would apply his grungy style to a family-oriented film. But what’s on display in this trailer is so textureless and scrubbed that it more closely resembles a Disney Channel special. I wonder if perhaps there are more recognizable Zombieisms at play in the film that the studio deliberately downplayed in order to reach a specific demographic (boomers and young kids). If not, I don’t see what the point of this was, as it pretty much resembles all the various Munsters TV movies from the last three decades.

I will say I like the color scheme, but it needs the grainy grindhouse look to carry off the lurid appearance he seems to be going for. And I thought Sheri Moon Zombie was legitimately excellent as Michael Myers’ mom in the first Halloween.

Finch

#19 Post by Finch » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:55 am

What did Netflix pay Universal for this? And it cost $40m????

Aunt Peg

#20 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:04 am

Didn't these remakes of old TV series sort die out not long after the turn of the century?

The only one I recall that worked really well was The Brady Bunch Movie and so a lesser extent it's sequel A Very Brady Sequel.

The Curious Sofa

#21 Post by The Curious Sofa » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:18 am

Aunt Peg wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:04 am
Didn't these remakes of old TV series sort die out not long after the turn of the century?

The only one I recall that worked really well was The Brady Bunch Movie and so a lesser extent it's sequel A Very Brady Sequel.
With the two Addams Family movies the sequel was even better, Addams Family Values is of my favourite comedies of the 90s.

The original sitcom may have been silly but the cast carried it along nicely. Fred Gwynne was a great comedic actor though Car 54, Where Are You ? was an even better showcase for his talents. Seeing this far lesser bunch of actors go through hollow impersonations of the earlier cast is painful to watch, as are the horrendous production values. If you take a 60s sitcom to the pictures with the budget that goes with it, don't you want to give the audience a little bit extra in terms of production values and actors who can rise to the challenge ? This was the case of the first two Addams Family movies, which improved on what already was a pretty good sitcom for is time.

Aunt Peg

#22 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:11 pm

I forgot about The Addams Family film also one of those rare beasts where the sequel was better than the original film.

beamish14

#23 Post by beamish14 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:26 pm

Aunt Peg wrote:

I think Mission: Impossible did fairly well when it was adapted as a feature.

Aunt Peg

#24 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:35 am

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:26 pm
Aunt Peg wrote:

I think Mission: Impossible did fairly well when it was adapted as a feature.
Yeah, that was a big hit though personally despite my De Palma fanboy devotion I didn't like it, though the 4th film in that series was outstanding.

Another I'd forgotten about that was terrific was The Fugitive (1983), though the sequel was rather limp.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:34 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:55 am
What did Netflix pay Universal for this? And it cost $40m????