The Loves of Pharaoh (Ernst Lubitsch, 1922)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
TMDaines

Re: The Loves of Pharaoh (Lubitsch, 1922)

#51 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 am

Sidestepping the issue of sharing TV recordings, - and I must confess, I did download the recording myself only three weeks ago after any news on this release had long fizzled out - it's obvious that a lot more love has gone into this release then the Twilight Time releases and hence is probably better value for money. The price is still too high for me ultimately, however, as there's hundreds of releases I'd rather spend €40 on. Why spend €40 on this when I could pick up three Crits or MoCs, or three, four or even five DVDs off my Amazon.it wishlist? I'm snapping up the Edition Filmmuseum stuff bit another €15+ on top of that is too much. Maybe if I wasn't just a student, had been in this game for several more years and had many more of my wants, then I might feel differently.

All the same, I'm amazed they go to all this work with different subtitles and then only sell it through a website that makes SAE look like Amazon, but we've been down this road before.

feckless boy

#52 Post by feckless boy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 am

perkizitore wrote:I cannot spare 40 euros for a minor Lubitsch...
Is this the general consensus that this is a minor Lubitsch I mean?

OT: I got a shipping confirmation for my blu today!

Ann Harding

#53 Post by Ann Harding » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 am

feckless boy wrote:
perkizitore wrote:I cannot spare 40 euros for a minor Lubitsch...
Is this the general consensus that this is a minor Lubitsch I mean?

OT: I got a shipping confirmation for my blu today!
I am a Lubitsch fan. But I generally dislike his big ponderous historical/costume dramas such as Anna Boleyn or Sumurun. But I enjoyed Loves of Pharaoh in spite of its overacting. I guess the orchestral score blended so brilliantly with the over-the-top characters that I enjoyed it thoroughly. The restoration is top-notch. So I don't think you'll be disappointed.

feckless boy

#54 Post by feckless boy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Got the disc today. Posted some random screenshots in that thread.
Unusual packaging: a cardboard box with a digipak style plastic disc-holder (high floater potential). Comes with a small booklet: including a short text by Kristin Thompson.
Last edited by feckless boy on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#55 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:37 am

Ann Harding wrote:I am a Lubitsch fan. But I generally dislike his big ponderous historical/costume dramas such as Anna Boleyn or Sumurun. But I enjoyed Loves of Pharaoh in spite of its overacting. I guess the orchestral score blended so brilliantly with the over-the-top characters that I enjoyed it thoroughly. The restoration is top-notch. So I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Anna Boleyn is the only film I've had to watch three times after falling asleep during the first two viewings. Sumurun I nodded off to once also. Very stodgy films.

Lazertron

#56 Post by Lazertron » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 am

swo17 wrote:
Lazertron wrote:back then
Yesterday? 1922?
Funny or stupid, choose one.
david hare explained the obvious in his subsequent posting.

Received the film last week and shipping wasn't that high in my case. Unfortunately no chance to have a look at the Blu-ray yet.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#57 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:13 am

This film is playing at BAM October 18-20th.

unclehulot

Re: The Loves of Pharaoh (Ernst Lubitsch, 1922)

#58 Post by unclehulot » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Apparently some copies of this Bluray have become unplayable, mine included. On the Blu-ray.com thread about the disc one poster mentions he DID receive a working replacement copy after sending them an email. http://alpha-omega.de/kontakt/ Fingers crossed I can get a replacement as well. There was only one pressing run of 1000 copies so it seems some play and some don’t? I will certainly rip mine to a HD if I get one!

L.A.

#59 Post by L.A. » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:33 pm

I got my replacement Blu-ray today. Alpha-Omega is now ready to ship the corrected discs, very good service from them.

fdm

#60 Post by fdm » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm

After reading about such things, I did finally play my original copy earlier this year without any problems. (Though yeah I do wonder about the next time; and still have some supplements to get to yet as well.)