The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)

#176 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Better this define our generation than, say, Madagascar 2
Truly a zoobreak film for our generation.

Oedipax

#177 Post by Oedipax » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 pm

big mouth wrote:Kellerhouse is one of the best designers out there, and it is oh-so-infrequent that anything done outside of Criterion, and in the U.S. is as interesting as his work (just look at his Criterion covers and his poster for "I'm Still Here"), but while I love the whole DVD presentation's quiet starkness I am still not quite sure how it all fits together with the film. Black and rubber do not equal Apple white and Iphone chrome (or for that matter, Facebook's ubiquitous blue). However, he sure knows how to use text and "the big headed problematic poster style" with flair.
I think it's playing more off of Reznor & Ross's contrapuntal score, which hints at a sense of bitterness and alienation bubbling underneath all the 21st century techno-triumphalism.

I've made my way through all the extras in this set, save for the second commentary track, and it's exquisitely assembled and executed. My only real complaint is that the section on camera/visuals isn't nearly as rigorous as that on sound and VFX.

big mouth

#178 Post by big mouth » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:05 pm

"Generation definers". Now, that's a big, complex and difficult subject ... and rarely obvious until a decade, or more has past. Think about "Easy Rider" which at the time, used elements that hadn't been used to such an extent in American film before (the soundtrack, for example), and the story was upon first viewing, exciting, defiant, and, different. Look at it now, and it seems to have missed whatever the late 1960's were or meant. Far better to read Joan Didion's "White Album" if you want a feeling of Los Angeles, or the 60's counter-coulture during this period. Roman Polanski's "Chinatown", or Coppola's "The Conversation" turned out to be more perfect metaphors for the nefarious fall of Nixon, and his Watergate scandal for a 1970's "generation definer", and I not sure they were conceived as that when written (well, perhaps "The Conversation".)

I watched "The Social Network" again, upon the DVDs release, and have to admit it is far more a character study than a generation definer, and a damned good one at that. Remember MySpace was the place to be only a a half decade ago. A film made about MySpace five years ago would be all but forgotten today. And that may be the case with "The Social Network", except that it works quite well as a character driven film.

When I think about films that do seem to define a generation, I think of a few of Wong Kar-Wai's films, particularly "Happy Together", and "In The Mood For Love". They seem to anticipate the situation hinted at in "The Social Contact". They are studies in the incapabiliy of people to find and stay together in the late post industrial/new computer age. Even though those movies are now 5 - 10 years old, they seem closer to "generation definers". They show a problem that has resulted in a new situation: not even to desire or really want a full, real time, complex conversation with even one's closet friends. Everything is now reduced to just short snappy sentences, or half comments. It is apparent everywhere, right here, for example, and in the dialogue of Fincher's movie. I do think the movie that will be called the "generation definer" of the 2010's will become apparent in 2020, unless there is a new move to something even less intrusive that short chat and emoticons!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#179 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:53 pm

LOLZ: In the Writer and Actor commentary, Armie Hammer recalls the timing with which Fincher wanted him to say "Bullshit!". It is said in the audio track from the film, and then every time Hammer says it in the commentary, it is bleeped. Oh, Sony.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#180 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Weird, Sony didn't bleep Community's commentary language and they said worse than that and aren't even rated

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#181 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 pm

Sony doesn't watch Community, it's on at the same time as The Big Bang Theory and Sony thinks Joel McHale is a smug dick who should stick to The Soup and be happy he has that.

flyonthewall2983

#182 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:03 am

Somewhat related, but I thought it was odd when on one of the Zodiac commentaries, a reference to a (supposed) snuff film was edited out.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#183 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 am

Do you have more information on that? I find that fascinating.

HistoryProf

#184 Post by HistoryProf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 am

so best script, director, and Picture tonight? (Golden Globes) Am I missing anything?

If anything, reading this thread a second time and tonights awards make me want to watch it again already. I wasn't expecting that.

Jeff

#185 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 am

HistoryProf wrote:so best script, director, and Picture tonight? (Golden Globes) Am I missing anything?
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for their awesome score.

bdsweeney

#186 Post by bdsweeney » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:11 am

HistoryProf wrote: If anything, reading this thread a second time and tonight's awards make me want to watch it again already. I wasn't expecting that.
You're not alone, and I have been back a second time.

As many have mentioned before, it isn't that it is a groundbreaking or moment-defining film ... just immensely enjoyable. Something that doesn't happen all that often.

Roger Ryan

#187 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 am

I wasn't surprised that Sorkin won the Golden Globe for best screenplay, but I was taken aback by what appeared to be his apology to Mark Zuckerberg by referring to him as a great humanitarian and philanthropist. In fact, Scott Rudin was careful to thank Zuckerberg for graciously allowing himself to be the inspiration for the film. Are these guys afraid the billionaire is going to crush their careers? Or were the platitudes intended to be more pins in the voodoo doll?

flyonthewall2983

#188 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:45 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Do you have more information on that? I find that fascinating.
SpoilerShow
I just remember it's during the scene with Charles Fleischer. What the supposed implication was was that among all these films he collected, he owned a film of one of the murders. The actual word "snuff" is bleeped out when the screenwriter mentions it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#189 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 am

Roger Ryan wrote:I wasn't surprised that Sorkin won the Golden Globe for best screenplay, but I was taken aback by what appeared to be his apology to Mark Zuckerberg by referring to him as a great humanitarian and philanthropist. In fact, Scott Rudin was careful to thank Zuckerberg for graciously allowing himself to be the inspiration for the film. Are these guys afraid the billionaire is going to crush their careers? Or were the platitudes intended to be more pins in the voodoo doll?
No, they just made a popular film about what a dick he was in college, when the guy has taken up the habit of donating huge sums of money to worthy causes. It only makes sense to point out that he's not your average billionaire and is worthy of praise for taking this film with good humor and maybe even taking it to heart.

oldsheperd

#190 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am

I watched this yesterday and I think it being referred to as the "Facebook Movie" that I've heard mentioned is a misnomer. The whole Facebook thing is really the MacGuffin of the film. I know I'm stating the obvious in that it's more concerned with it's characters. I also don't think it's generational. Just because it's Facebook it doesn't mean anything. The characters in the film would have been just as interesting if they were in a movie about the creation of the Cotton Gin.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#191 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:13 pm

You'd better lawyer up, Eli Whitney

Jeff

#192 Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:25 pm

"A hundred dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool? A thousand dollars."

YOU DON'T
GET TO
5 MILLION
BALES OF COTTON
WITHOUT MAKING
A FEW
ENEMIES

ambrose

#193 Post by ambrose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 pm

oldsheperd wrote: Just because it's Facebook it doesn't mean anything. The characters in the film would have been just as interesting if they were in a movie about the creation of the Cotton Gin.

A film about the creation of the Cotton Gin would, on the contrary, be intrinsically more interesting! After all the creation of that machine led to the expansion and retrenchment of the slave trade.
Last edited by ambrose on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oldsheperd

#194 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:42 pm

No, no, no!!!
I'm talking about Zuckerberg inventing the Cotton Gin, not Eli Whitney!!
The conversations between Zuckerberg and Severin would be classic!!! ;)

Grand Illusion

#195 Post by Grand Illusion » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 am

ambrose wrote:After all the creation of that machine led to the expansion and retrenchment of the slave trade.
I play Plantationville on Facebook all the time.

perkizitore

#196 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am

I am attending a screening of Social Network today with an Aaron Sorkin Q&A. Anything you are dying to have answered?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#197 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:53 am

How do you feel to have written the best reviewed movie since The Godfather?

perkizitore

#198 Post by perkizitore » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Seriously?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#199 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Mr. Sorkin: Your career seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

ambrose

#200 Post by ambrose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm

perkizitore wrote:I am attending a screening of Social Network today with an Aaron Sorkin Q&A. Anything you are dying to have answered?
Mark Zuckerberg is a keen classicist in real-life,why was this aspect of his personality not explored?