Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Dylan

Re: Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

#1026 Post by Dylan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:41 pm

On the Variety Awards Circuit podcast, Margot Robbie claims that there is a twenty-hour cut of Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.
Margot Robbie wrote:There’s a 20-hour cut of “Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood” that would… there’s so much more that you didn’t get to see, that we shot that was amazing, and for a million reasons obviously, can’t make the cut.

aox

#1027 Post by aox » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:18 pm

I have no doubt there are deleted scenes, and maybe even 1-3 hours worth (to her credit), but I have to wonder if she is referring to a "work print".

therewillbeblus

#1028 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:28 pm

Now that would be the ultimate "hang-out" movie

Ovader

#1029 Post by Ovader » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:56 pm

I suspect that was an April Fools comment.

Dylan

#1030 Post by Dylan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Ovader wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:56 pm
I suspect that was an April Fools comment.
Robbie was probably being hyperbolic, but I don't believe the Variety Awards Circuit podcast was actually recorded on April Fool's Day, so the date the podcast aired was likely a coincidence. I'm guessing that she was actually referring to the alternate cut Tarantino has already talked about in interviews, which is apparently eighty minutes longer than the theatrical release.

Slaphappy

#1031 Post by Slaphappy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:58 am

Ovader wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Slaphappy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:29 am
This book is described by the publisher as a “deep dive into the movies of the 1970’s, a rich mix of essays, reviews, personal writing, and tantalizing “what if’s,” from one of cinema’s most celebrated filmmakers, and its most devoted fan.”
I'm intrigued by tantalising "what if's" regarding the seventies. After seeing OUaTiH I dwelled a lot in thoughts about what would 70's movies have looked like with out the Manson murders, as the event is often regarded as the starting point of the paranoid and pessimistic atmosphere of next decade.
QT mentions for a few minutes the "what if's" of Rick Dalton's filmography on this recent Pure Cinema Podcast episode. That bit starts at the 00:28:28 minute mark. He is unsure what he will do with the writing but I suspect it may be part of that book project.
Some fun speculation there. Curious if in OUaTiH timeline Polanski had still directed Macbeth next and if so would it be a bit more playful as his previous three and maybe even star Rick Dalton. Surely the Cinderella ending suggests that they might have become friends and worked together.

flyonthewall2983

#1033 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:41 am

I now know my preferred format

tehthomas

#1035 Post by tehthomas » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:44 am

Rewatched this last night and noticed:

When Rick asks Cliff to check on his TV antennae because the wind knocked it down -- do you think there is any allusion to the story of the cable going out at the Polanski residence the night before the murders -- this cable tv story comes from Tom O'Neil, author of Chaos.

Aspect

#1036 Post by Aspect » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Not sure about the exact passage of time, but doesn’t that scene take place about six months before the murders? Rick and Cliff go to Italy for a while. But I suppose it could be a not-so-literal allusion, yeah.

Or it’s an example of what Cliff does in Rick’s employ when Rick’s working. Or an excuse to get Brad shirtless and remembering his run-in with Bruce Lee. Or any number of storytelling reasons.
Last edited by Aspect on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

black&huge

#1037 Post by black&huge » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:42 pm

It does take place 6 months before but yeah I could read it as an allusion.

On another note because I never heard anyone really speak at length but since the flashbacks happen with Cliff in that scene what did everyone think about the fact that Tarantino alluded to the fact that Cliff's wife was Natalie Wood's fictional sister since her mysterious death was a reference to Wood's death

tehthomas

#1038 Post by tehthomas » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:32 am

Aspect wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:31 pm
Not sure about the exact passage of time, but doesn’t that scene take place about six months before the murders? Rick and Cliff go to Italy for a while. But I suppose it could be a not-so-literal allusion, yeah.

Or it’s an example of what Cliff does in Rick’s employ when Rick’s working. Or an excuse to get Brad shirtless and remembering his run-in with Bruce Lee. Or any number of storytelling reasons.
Yeah it is ~6 months before. Although it does coincide with Manson visiting the house looking for Terry Melcher.

It is one of the biggest scenes in the film, so I'm thinking there was some motivation to putting Cliff on the roof - at the very least a shirtless Brad Pitt.

Dylan

#1039 Post by Dylan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:41 pm

The "book trailer" for Tarantino's Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood novel includes a lot of great never-before-seen deleted footage. My guess is that a release of the longer cut will be announced later this year.

Dylan

#1040 Post by Dylan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:06 pm

Regarding the potential longer cut of the film, Tarantino recently said to Marc Maron, “I think if I were to put it all together, in a way where I would use everything that I wanted and didn’t have to worry about time, it would probably be around 3 hours and 20 minutes or something.” So, around forty minutes longer than the theatrical cut.

therewillbeblus

#1041 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:57 pm

I also love how Jennifer Lawrence recommended Maron for the Pacino role after reading the script.

tehthomas

#1042 Post by tehthomas » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:30 am

Listened to QT's recent appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience. They talk at length about the "controversy" over the Bruce Lee scene and later-on QT really goes in about Lee's widow and how she is a "liar" for claiming that the "Kung-Fu" series was ripped off from Bruce's "Warrior". Even if you don't like Rogan, I highly recommend this episode for all the gems QT drops.

Swift

#1043 Post by Swift » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:14 pm

I had forgotten the novel was going to be a thing, so I was pleasantly surprised to bump into it on a grocery store shelf a couple weeks ago. An appropriate location to find it given the mass market drugstore paperback look of the book.

Some spoilers below
SpoilerShow
- Cliff's back story is filled out more and it turns out he's a psychopath who has killed many, many people (most during the war, and then four in civilian life, including his wife) There's also an entire chapter devoted to his cinephilia and love of foreign film

- The little girl plays a more prominent role, having a number of scenes with Rick. I dislike overly precocious child characters and didn't like her presence in the film. Unfortunately she's worse here.

- I thought Tarantino was a bit too cutesy mentioning a cinema which "years later would be known as the New Beverly", but he then later mentions that the child actress would later be nominated for among other things a 1999 Tarantino remake of The Lady in Red. He also later has his stepdad meet Rick for a couple of pages and ask for an autograph for his son Quentin.

- There are three goddamn chapters taking place entirely in the world of Lancer. I have no idea why we needed to know the backstory of the TV characters. At 400 pages the whole thing is bloated actually. Really the Manson and Tate stories could've been left out of here entirely as they don't actually have any resolution. The Spahn ranch scene is the last time the Manson family are mentioned, and Tate's scenes plays out as they did in the film, but now without the mistaken hippies at the end. The final violence of the movie is moved to an aside mentioned early in the book ("Months later, Rick and Cliff would kill some hippies who broke into their house...")
Overall, a fun read. Not great as a novel. Tarantino digresses too much into asides about B movie directors and TV stars for it to work as a novel, but those digressions were probably my favourite parts of the book. His writing of certain female characters feels much more cringy on the page than on screen (He twice mentions a character's "dirty soiled panties") and the crudity can get a bit eye-rolling at times, but I would definitely read more from him if he goes down this route.

Pavel

#1044 Post by Pavel » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:09 pm

SpoilerShow
I loved the ambiguous nature of Cliff's wife's death (as well as the conflicting information presented in that brief flashback — harpoon gun pointed at her but also not loaded) and I must say that his backstory in the book sounds kinda terrible

black&huge

#1045 Post by black&huge » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Pavel wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:09 pm
SpoilerShow
I loved the ambiguous nature of Cliff's wife's death (as well as the conflicting information presented in that brief flashback — harpoon gun pointed at her but also not loaded) and I must say that his backstory in the book sounds kinda terrible
What's more is that...
SpoilerShow
the book details her death rather silly in that she is cut in two and he holds her halves together while she bleeds out for hours consoling her before rescue comes and she dies getting transported.

Add to that it details the murders Cliff gets away with after the war one instance is he simply shoots two mobsters in a pizza place in one of those cliche "stay away from the boss's woman" scenarios. Seemed uninspired. However the first mention of his getting away with murder regarding Brandy's owner is pretty good but overall fleshing out Cliff in the novel is
weird even for Tarantino.

Pavel

#1046 Post by Pavel » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:57 pm

I was planning on reading the book but having gotten a bit of info regarding parts of its content, I think it's in my best interest as a huge fan of the film to forget it exists haha [-X

black&huge

#1047 Post by black&huge » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:47 pm

I think it's possible to hold on to the love and "mystery" of the film and think of the book separetely as that was the intention. The novel did the one thing Tarantino was always good at not doing and that I was afraid of: explain everything. Then over overexplain on top of that.

knives

#1048 Post by knives » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:26 pm

I saw someone describe the book as Tarantino’s idea of what the book would be like that would result in an adaptation like his movie.

black&huge

#1049 Post by black&huge » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:53 pm

that is absolutely hilarious

Aspect

#1050 Post by Aspect » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:35 pm

I described it to a friend as the world’s first literary deleted/extended scenes blu ray special feature. Especially appropriate since the scenes it expands upon aren’t necessarily the ones you would want more of.