215 Bullfighter and the Lady

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

215 Bullfighter and the Lady

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:08 am

BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY
(Budd Boetticher, 1951)
Release date: 18 July 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray

Pre-order here

American sportsman Johnny Regan (Robert Stack, Written on the Wind) goes to a bullfight while holidaying in Mexico and witnesses the great matador Manolo Estrada (Gilbert Roland, She Done Him Wrong) in action. The two men meet later that evening, and Johnny becomes entranced by Anita (Joy Page, Casablanca), a friend of Manolo’s. Impressed by the world of bullfighting, and seeking to impress Anita, Johnny becomes Manolo's pupil so that he, too, may become a champion torero.

Produced by John Wayne, and based in part on Budd Boetticher’s experiences as a novice bullfighter, Bullfighter and the Lady was initially released in a shorter 87-minute cut, reputedly edited by John Ford. In 1986, with the aid of Boetticher and Stack, the complete 124-minute version was restored, revealing the film to be a true masterpiece. Both cuts are presented on this edition, alongside Boetticher’s final work as a director, the 1985 documentary My Kingdom For… which is part autobiography, part history of the bullfighting art of rejoneo.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition presentation
• Two presentations of the film: the complete 124-minute version, restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive; and the original 87-minute theatrical cut
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with critics and authors Glenn Kenny and Farran Smith Nehme (2022)
My Kingdom For… (1985): Boetticher’s final film as director, a partly autobiographical documentary about bullfighting, featuring Bullfighter and the Lady actor Robert Stack
• Interview with Mary Boetticher (2022)
An Evening with Budd Boetticher (2001): audio recording of the great director in conversation with film preservationist Robert Gitt
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Limited edition booklet featuring a new essay by Matthew Thrift, an archival letter from Budd Boetticher discussing his love of bullfighting, archival profiles of Katy Jurado, an overview of contemporary critical responses, new writing on My Kingdom For…, and full film credits
• UK premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies for the UK

• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD215
BBFC cert: PG
REGION B
EAN: 5060697921014

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: 215 Bullfighter and the Lady

#2 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:07 am

An impressive set of extras. I never bothered to check this out when Olive released it, as I find this BB massively overrated, but I am curious. Can anyone make a strong defense for it?

CSM126

#3 Post by CSM126 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:06 am

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:42 am

Final specs:

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:44 pm

therewillbeblus

#6 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:11 pm

It looks fantastic but I was underwhelmed by the drama- it’s definitely different for him though. Personally I think A Time for Dying is way more interesting for its third act subversion, warts and all