187 The Valdez Horses

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

187 The Valdez Horses

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:27 am

THE VALDEZ HORSES
(John Sturges, 1973)
Release date: 18 January 2021
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)

Pre-order here.

One of several impressive westerns Charles Bronson made during his 1970s heyday, The Valdez Horses reunites the rugged star with celebrated director John Sturges, who he had previously collaborated with on the perennial classics The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape.

A surprisingly thoughtful film, The Valdez Horses sees Bronson play a half-breed rancher who’s solitary life taming wild horses is upended when three people enter his life: a young runaway (Vincent Van Patten), a corrupt land owner (Marcel Bozzuffi, The French Connection), and his beautiful sister (Jill Ireland, Breakout, The Valachi Papers).

Beautifully filmed in mountains of Almería, Spain, a quintessential Spaghetti Western location, Sturges’ film contrasts fist fights and shootouts with considered characterisation and an unexpectedly melancholy tone.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Two presentations of the film: with the original The Valdez Horses title sequence, and the alternative Italian title, Valdez, il mezzosangue
• Audio commentary with film historian Paul Talbot, author of Bronson’s Loose! The Making of the ‘Death Wish’ Films and Bronson’s Loose Again! (2021)
• New interview with make-up artist Giannetto De Rossi (2021)
• New interview with uncredited screenwriter Stephen Geller (2021)
• Alternative titles and credits
• Original theatrical trailer
• TV Spot
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Roberto Curti, an archival on-set report with contributions from Charles Branson, Jill Ireland, and John Sturges; interview extracts from Bronson and Ireland, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• UK Premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies
• EXTRAS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#PHILTD187
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5060697920468

MichaelB

Re: 187 The Valdez Horses

#2 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Final specs confirmed:

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:00 pm

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 pm

MichaelB

#5 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#6 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:04 pm

I liked this a great deal. The film almost lost me during the
SpoilerShow
horse fucking
scene, but it held on. I don't think I've watched any Bronson-starring film before but enjoyed this a great deal, and especially his sensitive side. I was really blown away by The Law and Jake Wade and have been willing to watch any Sturges film since first encountering it, and while this didn't rise to the highs of that film, the ending here is phenomenal. For Sturges to have the restraint to end this the way that he does was really quite beautiful. Definitely feels like the kind of film a revisit will also do wonders for.