200 Irréversible

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Calvin

200 Irréversible

#1 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 am

The clue in the newsletter confirms Gaspar Noé's Irreversible, which I believe would be the first film from Indicator not in the English language (excluding the Czech version of 90 Degrees in the Shade)

rapta

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#2 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 am
The clue in the newsletter confirms Gaspar Noé's Irreversible, which I believe would be the first film from Indicator not in the English language (excluding the Czech version of 90 Degrees in the Shade)
I'm hoping it's announcement of a sub-label akin to Eureka Classics or Arrow Academy rather than part of the main Indicator line. They've been consistent up 'til now about all their titles being primarily English-language so would be a bit odd to change that this far in. Especially with a film by Gaspar Noé of all people.

Cash Flagg

#3 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:51 pm

rapta wrote:I'm hoping it's announcement of a sub-label akin to Eureka Classics or Arrow Academy rather than part of the main Indicator line.
If Eureka Classics could somehow see fit to release Human Centipede, I guess there’s the precedent for Irreversible!

rapta

#4 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:51 pm
rapta wrote:I'm hoping it's announcement of a sub-label akin to Eureka Classics or Arrow Academy rather than part of the main Indicator line.
If Eureka Classics could somehow see fit to release Human Centipede, I guess there’s the precedent for Irreversible!
I think The Human Centipede films were technically released under their little-known subsidiary Bounty Films (through a sub-label called Monster Pictures), but yes I was thinking a similar thought. Besides, they didn't exactly disown those films, and reissued them multiple times.

I do think a Noé film will do much better than those though. People still watch his stuff, for whatever reason.

therewillbeblus

#5 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm

The Noe would be fitting for the vibe of Anti-Worlds' output so far, I'd be surprised if it was coming from Indicator

The Fanciful Norwegian

#6 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Anti-Worlds isn't related to Indicator or Powerhouse outside of some shared personnel, so I don't know why one of their releases would be teased in an Indicator newsletter.

MichaelB

Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#7 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:53 pm

Anti-Worlds exclusively covers brand new or very very recent films that haven’t previously been released in the UK.

therewillbeblus

#8 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:55 pm

I keep forgetting that there was a clarification at the end of last year about this, and that the initial announcement of the label as another Powerhouse strain was incorrect, my bad

Irreversible would be a hell of a way for Indicator to enter the non-English language market (and I don't mean that as a compliment)... though arguably 90 Degrees in the Shade was the first in including both language options
Last edited by therewillbeblus on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:53 pm
Anti-Worlds exclusively covers brand new or very very recent films that haven’t previously been released in the UK.
So does Indicator no longer exclusively cover English-language films?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#11 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:18 am

Really surprised Canal aren't releasing it themselves. Maybe it's not as big a title in the UK compared to France ?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 am

I don't understand how they can go from a mission statement of "protecting us all from Irreversible by only releasing English-language films" to specifically releasing that very film

Feego

#13 Post by Feego » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:14 am

Their mission statement was reversible after all.

Cash Flagg

#14 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:08 am

Like a parent whose child has misbehaved in some uncharacteristic but egregious way, I’m not so much angry as...disappointed.

“Ever since I first started collecting you, Indicator, and up until you officially announced Irreversible, I thought you were the finest, most wonderful label in the whole world. Just that. Now, I know that you're just like everybody else. You have faults and weaknesses. If I hadn't been so young and silly I would have known it all along. It wouldn't have been such a shock to find it out now. But that doesn't mean that I don't love you.”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 am

I can't be too mad about this because they will make mad money on this. On the other hand, it's never a good sign when labels start diluting their brand. On the third hand, I like French movies and would be okay with more getting English-friendly releases, even if it starts with this one

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#16 Post by soundchaser » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 am

Yeah, if this leads to, say, The Complete Emmanuel Mouret I can't say I'll be too upset.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:52 am

soundchaser wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 am
Yeah, if this leads to, say, The Complete Emmanuel Mouret I can't say I'll be too upset.
I think Indicator would be eligible for the Nobel Peace Prize for this one

HJackson

Re: Forthcoming: Irréversible

#18 Post by HJackson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:03 pm

I think Indiactor is sufficiently eclectic that the English-only thing felt kind of arbitrary to be honest.

Adam X

#19 Post by Adam X » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:04 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 am
I don't understand how they can go from a mission statement of "protecting us all from Irreversible by only releasing English-language films" to specifically releasing that very film
You shouldn't've kept pestering them about it.

Ribs

#20 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:05 pm

I still can't help but think this will be a sub-line or something like that, not a normal spine number. Which would be good! But, again, Indicator has shown generally excellent judgment in prioritizing an interesting line-up that really no one else comes close to resembling so I'd trust them to remain interesting and eclectic as they expand their focus regardless.

Calvin

#21 Post by Calvin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 am
I can't be too mad about this because they will make mad money on this. On the other hand, it's never a good sign when labels start diluting their brand. On the third hand, I like French movies and would be okay with more getting English-friendly releases, even if it starts with this one
Agree with all of this. The rest of Canal's Godard titles aren't going to release themselves...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#22 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 am
Agree with all of this. The rest of Canal's Godard titles aren't going to release themselves...
Can we possibly imagine a world where they start delving into the Chabrol that is restored and available?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:11 pm

An Indicator box with their usual assortment of extras for restored Chabrol films is, I’m pretty sure, the first thing one sees when they enter the gates of Heaven

therewillbeblus

#24 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:52 am
soundchaser wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 am
I think Indicator would be eligible for the Nobel Peace Prize for this one
Especially if we finally get to see Aucun regret and whatever shorts exist that we don’t know about.

Finch

#25 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Anti-Worlds would have been a better fit for this piece of shit than Indicator but I agree if it leads to them releasing some Chabrol and perhaps even some early French cinema, it'll make up for curating Gaspar Noe.