191 Eve

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

191 Eve

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 am

EVE
(Joseph Losey, 1962)
Release date: 24 August 2020
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)

Jeanne Moreau (Jules et Jim) and Stanley Baker (Yesterday’s Enemy) star as two lovers caught in a deadly affair in Joseph Losey’s 1962 adaptation of the James Hadley Chase novel.

A highly personal project for Losey, Eve was blighted by producer interference, and was heavily cut for its general release under the title Eva.

Powerhouse Films is delighted to present the longest known version of the film for the very first time on home video in this definitive, world premiere Blu-ray edition.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• Brand new 4K scan of EYE Filmmuseum’s photochemical restoration of the longest known version of the film (126 mins)
• High Definition remaster of the original European theatrical release version of Eva (109 mins)
• High Definition remaster of the alternative The Devil’s Woman version (108 mins)
• Original mono audio
• Archival Interview with Joseph Losey (1967): the acclaimed director discusses Eve in this extract from the French television programme Cinéma
• Archival Interview with Jeanne Moreau (1972): extract from the French television programme Tête d'affiche, featuring the celebrated star in conversation with actor France Roche
• The BEHP Interview with Reginald Beck (1987): archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the editor, and regular Losey collaborator, in conversation with Alan Lawson
• All About Eve (2020): interview with filmmaker Gavrik Losey, son of Joseph Losey
• A Creation Myth (2020): appreciation by author and film historian Neil Sinyard
• Image gallery: publicity and promotional material
• Original UK and French theatrical trailers
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 36-page booklet with a new essay by Phuong Le, Joseph Losey on Eve, a look at the James Hadley Chase source novel, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Simona Monizza on the EYE Filmmuseum restoration of Eve, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

#PHILTD191
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5060697920567

L.A.

Re: 191 Eve

#2 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:31 am

Didn’t the old Kino DVD have burnt-in Finnish subs on the longer version? What a way to start this thread, I know.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 am

Until 2005, the only surviving copy of the longest cut had burned-in Finnish and Swedish subtitles, as reflected in the Kino disc. One of the restoration team's major priorities was to minimise this as much as possible, and thankfully they were able to track down an Italian copy in the State Archive in Rome that was able to provide replacement footage for the vast majority of the subtitled material.

However, two scenes turned out to remain unique to the subtitled cut, and while the restorers tried to remove the subtitles digitally, the background image was too busy to make this feasible, so those brief sections retain burned-in subtitles.

(A lengthy account of the restoration process in the booklet explains all this.)

The 126-minute version isn't complete - Losey's first cut was 155 minutes, and the last cut that he personally signed off on ran 135 - but it appears to be the longest version that can be assembled from surviving materials. Unfortunately, neither of the longer cuts ever had any kind of commercial release, and although a print of the 135-minute survived, by the time it was donated to the BFI National Archive (by Losey himself) it had lost 15 minutes for unspecified reasons.

Mr. Deltoid

#4 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:51 am

Didn't really warm to this when I saw it (both characters are irredeemable narcissists), but it does feature one of my favourite closing lines ever (especially if your a Welshman!) :)

nitin

#5 Post by nitin » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:08 am

How many discs will this release be? 2?

reaky

#6 Post by reaky » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 am

The version (“Eva”) in the Studio Canal Losey box is 105 minutes, so this is effectively a new film. Heroic restoration work by Indicator.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:21 am

The EYE Filmmuseum in Amsterdam deserves the lion's share of the credit for the restoration, with Final Frame Post in London doing some additional grading and stabilisation work on the 4K scan that Indicator is using.

L.A.

#8 Post by L.A. » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:28 am

Region B, eh? Please, please accept my apologies if this is ancient news but if a new path regarding region-locking has been undertaken by Indicator then had no idea. So in this case the licensor stipulated that.

Ribs

#9 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 am

Indicator has always followed what they are contractually able to do for region locking; it just so happens that since Sony’s stance changed most of Indicator’s releases are now Region B locked. Not that this matters as I think this is a StudioCanal title so had no chance of anything otherwise...

MichaelB

#10 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 am

Powerhouse's policy regarding region-locking is identical to that of pretty much every other boutique Blu-ray label: region-free whenever possible, region-locked when contractually compelled by the rightsholder.

And StudioCanal has always insisted on region-locking, and indeed practices what they preach by region-locking their own titles, so there was never any chance of any release of Eve from any label anywhere in the world not being region-locked.

There's a dedicated thread listing Region B Indicator titles (currently 46 titles, or just over 25% of Indicator's total output), and the Powerhouse website now filters out these titles so that people don't accidentally order Region B titles if they can't play them.

Glowingwabbit

#11 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 am
There's a dedicated thread listing Region B Indicator titles (currently 46 titles, or just over 25% of Indicator's total output), and the Powerhouse website now filters out these titles so that people don't accidentally order Region B titles if they can't play them.
Oh that's a cool feature (the filter) to have. I guess since it's not something I'd need to do I never noticed it before. Also didn't realize how low the number of region B locked titles there are from Indicator. I was thinking it was half and half.

It's still very strange to me that people who are importing discs haven't gone region free yet.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am

Delayed to Sept 28th.

Ovader

#13 Post by Ovader » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:47 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am
Delayed to Sept 28th.
Michael Brooke gives the reason for the delay in the FB Group regarding the various versions of the film and presenting them on the menu. Quite the chore!

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:50 pm

The menu in question:

The differences between the first two cuts (which respectively run just under and just over 126 minutes) concern a single brief scene - just 29 seconds - that was omitted from the official restoration on the grounds that there was no hard evidence that Joseph Losey wanted it in there. But since it contains a unique piece of narratively important information, we decided to offer a version of the film with it included.

And yes, as you can probably imagine, with all the seamless branching, multiple soundtracks, multiple subtitles (three versions require SDH and translation options, the English-language Eva just SDH, and both sets of subtitles for Eve also requiring careful placement to avoid clashing with burned-in Finnish and Swedish subtitles in two scenes) etc., this has been one of the most technically challenging Indicator releases to date. But we're very, very proud of it - short of someone finding the missing footage from Losey's own cut (which has to be a pretty forlorn hope now), it should be the definitive edition.

TMDaines

#15 Post by TMDaines » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 am

This'll be a pain in the arse to navigate on a PC without menus and with Sony DADC generating tons of fake playlists!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#16 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:01 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 am
This'll be a pain in the arse to navigate on a PC without menus and with Sony DADC generating tons of fake playlists!
I already had recently the issue with The Good Die Young and there only was 2 cuts, I hope this one won't make it humpteen times more complicated (though fortunately, I only require to go through discs on my PC for reviews, not for viewing the movies themselves).

TMDaines

#17 Post by TMDaines » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:15 pm

It’s the same with all Indicator discs, but worse with any releases where you have multiple cuts because DVDFab Passkey only works one playlist out as the legit main film.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#18 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:10 pm

I use MPC-HC and on The Good Die Young, the issue was that MPC could read all the playlists but I had to find the one that was in the right order... for both cuts ! I otherwise wasn't able to find the frames I noted during my regular playback and wanted to capture for my review, since they were randomized around. It took me quite some time to compare all the different playlists on BD Info and find which ones had all the bits in the right order.

The Guinea Pig didn't have the issue, because there is at least the whole individual file untouched somewhere, so I can find it and use it properly. Same for Indicator (IIRC).

However, VLC doesn't let me pass the main menu and access the main program, though I can access the extras.

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:39 pm

TMDaines wrote:
I'm sorry for your arse, but I very much doubt that you're going to persuade Powerhouse to make their discs easier to rip.

The Pachyderminator

#20 Post by The Pachyderminator » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 am

TMDaines wrote:
Eh? I haven't seen fake/obfuscated playlists on any Indicator discs I've looked at. Offhand, Lionsgate is the only company I know of that makes a practice of that, though there may be others. There will be a separate playlist for every seamlessly-branched cut of the film, but that's unavoidable from the way blu-rays work. Also, FWIW, at least on Windows VLC has full Blu-ray support including menus.

(FWIW, I just started buying Indicator discs and I've already come to appreciate how logically the menus are laid out, extras clearly labeled on the packaging, etc. They're very nicely designed products.)

alacal2
not waving but frowning

#21 Post by alacal2 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:17 am

Superlative piece of film curation and at a very silly price.

TMDaines

#22 Post by TMDaines » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:40 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:39 pm
TMDaines wrote:
I'm sorry for your arse, but I very much doubt that you're going to persuade Powerhouse to make their discs easier to rip.
The daft thing is that it doesn't even make any difference anyway to file-sharing efforts. The disc is pretty much always ripped and shared on day one anyway, at which point nobody who acquires their films via those channels ever sees the copy protection again. It just makes it more frustrating for those of us who prefer to watch on a HTPC in something other than the garbage players like PowerDVD.

I don't think any other major label uses the Sony DADC fake playlists protection. None spring to mind for sure.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#23 Post by tenia » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:19 am

I'm no advocate for piracy, but none of these protections prevent the discs from being available on illegal platforms (often in a matter of days), but almost all of them can cause playback issues to legit buyers.

I myself have to use DVD Fab Passkey because my screen is isn't HDMI able and my whole computer thus isn't HDCP compatible. Without Passkey, I couldn't read on my computer any of my 3200+ legit BDs or my 800+ legit review discs. I also couldn't do native 1080p screencaps for my reviews or just for illustration purposes on dedicated boards.
This remind me an Audio CD protection back in 2000-2001 that never prevented these albums to be ripped, but it prevented me to read my legit copies on my Sony CD player !

I understand companies implementing them nonetheless (it might be some of them are mandatory in BD authoring anyway), but I doubt any of them truly think they're actually preventing the discs from being illegally available.

TMDaines

#24 Post by TMDaines » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 am

My main setup is all HDCP compatible, but the monitor I plug my laptops into isn't. I've had it for what must be 15+ years, all through my teenage years, university and early career - and it is still going strong. As you say though, DVDFab Passkey gets around HDCP as I watch a lot of my extras during work hours as background radio. Not exactly green is it to ditch a perfectly fine monitor for a new one... because my monitor doesn't have the right bureaucratic security features to watch the perfectly legitimate content I paid for?

The only discs I consistently have problems with are Indicator's because of the fake playlists. Even on my main setup the other day though, I got 20 minutes in before realising the player had picked the wrong playlist and things suddenly escalated in Buchanan Rides Alone when the scene in the saloon suddenly escalated to an ambush shootout! For extras, I do tend to watch the Indicator DVDs because of this, just for the ease of use.

TMDaines

#25 Post by TMDaines » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:21 am

The Pachyderminator wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 am
TMDaines wrote:
(FWIW, I just started buying Indicator discs and I've already come to appreciate how logically the menus are laid out, extras clearly labeled on the packaging, etc. They're very nicely designed products.)
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Indicator's Blu-rays are of the highest class and it looks like Michael and his team have gone above and beyond to make this absolutely definitive.