Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

yoloswegmaster

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#726 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:31 am

February 2022 titles have leaked on Amazon:
SpoilerShow
SYNOPSIS

Real-life husband and wife David Hemmings (Blowup, Deep Red) and Gayle Hunnicutt (Eye of the Cat, Fragment of Fear) star in this tense British shocker from director Kevin Billington (The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer).

After a tragic family accident, Claire (Hunnicutt) suffers a mental breakdown. In an effort to help her recovery, Robert (Hemmings), her husband, takes her to convalesce in a grand country house, but her already fragile sanity is soon threatened by ghostly apparitions and terrifying visions.

Long unseen, this impressive, superbly crafted chiller is presented in a brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original separation masters by Powerhouse Films. Making its worldwide debut on Blu-ray, Voices is accompanied with a selection of newly produced extras and a comprehensive booklet.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original separation masters by Powerhouse Films
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with writers Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman (2022)
• Film historian Vic Pratt explores the early years of Hemmings' production company Hemdale (2022)
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet featuring a new essay by Julian Upton, archival interviews with actors David Hemmings and Gayle Hunnicutt, a look at the source play, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited edition of 2,000 copies
• All extras subject to change

SYNOPSIS

Based on Herman Melville’s celebrated short story ‘Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street’, Anthony Friedmann’s unduly neglected film relocates the action to 1970s London and stars Oscar-winner Paul Scofield (A Man for All Seasons), John McEnery (Franco Zeffirelli’s Romeo and Juliet), and Thorley Walters (Hammer’s The Phantom of the Opera).

When a young office clerk, Bartleby (McEnery), becomes increasingly defeated by the pressures of modern life, he gradually opts out of all forms of social engagement and his frustrated employer (Scofield) does all he can to stop him from withdrawing entirely into his own world.

Superbly acted and exquisitely photographed, Bartlebyis a rare gem of 1970s British cinema. Presented in a brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, this wry and complex drama makes its worldwide debut on Blu-ray accompanied by a range of new and archival extra features.

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Powerhouse Films
• Original mono audio
• Interview with writer-director Anthony Friedmann (2022)
• Beat the Bomber (1975): anti-terrorism documentary short directed by Friedmann
• Bartleby’s London (2022): an exploration of Bartleby’s locations
• Bartleby (2017): stop-motion animation version of the Melville story, directed by Kristen Kee and Laura Naylor
• Behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Bartleby (2017
• Trailers for Bartleby (2017)
• Image galleries: promotional and publicity material
• Limited edition exclusive booklet featuring a new essay by Jeff Billington, archival interviews with star Paul Scofield and director Anthony Friedmann, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits

SYNOPSIS

This offbeat horror film, starring genre icons Peter Cushing (The Revenge of Frankenstein, Star Wars), Donald Pleasence (You Only Live Twice, Halloween), and Luan Peters (Twins of Evil, Doctor Who), and featuring a score by the legendary Brian Eno, tells of a Satanic cult, led by Cushing, that is abducting tourists for ritual sacrifice – and only Pleasence’s priest can save them.

An eccentric, bloody cult shocker, The Devil’s Men (also known as Land of the Minotaur) makes its world Blu-ray debut, presenting both the original and US cuts of the film in a new 2K restoration from the original negative, and accompanied by new and archival extras, including a feature-length Super 8 version of the film.

• New 2K restoration from the original negative
• Two presentations of the film: The Devil’s Men (94 mins), the original cut; and Land of the Minotaur (86 mins), the shorter US theatrical version
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with critics and authors David Flint and Adrian J Smith (2022)
• The John Player Lecture with Peter Cushing (1973): the legendary actor in conversation at the National Film Theatre, London
• Interview with producer Frixos Constantine (2022)
• Feature-length Super 8 version (94 mins)
• Limited edition exclusive booklet featuring a new essay by Andrew Graves, an archival interview with star Donald Pleasence, extracts from original promotional materials, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits

SYNOPSIS

Adapted from P D James’ classic crime novel, this stylish, little-seen thriller stars Billie Whitelaw (The Omen, The Krays), Pippa Guard (The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady), Paul Freeman (Raiders of the Lost Ark), and Dominic Guard (Absolution).

After finding her boss dead in his office, Cordelia Gray (Pippa Guard) takes over duties at his private detective agency. When a woman asks her to investigate the apparent suicide of a young man, she takes on her first case and gets entangled in a web of dark family secrets.

Presented in a brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, this powerful, unconventional thriller from filmmaker and novelist Chris Petit – director of the cult classic Radio On – makes its worldwide debut on Blu-ray accompanied by new interviews with cast and crew.

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Powerhouse Films
• Original mono audio
• Interview with director Chris Petit (2022)
• Interview with actor Dominic Guard (2022)
• Interview with producer Don Boyd (2022)
• Limited edition exclusive booklet featuring a new essay by Claire Monks, an archival piece by Chris Petit, production reports on the making of the film, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#727 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:18 pm

I have to say I'm quite happy with the 2 latest batches of "announcements" being sourced on so many restorations commissioned by Powerhouse. Relying on older masters always is tricky, as can be seen on MacArthur or Hellfighters recently, so it's always nice to see labels managing to get a bit away from those.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#728 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Superb job lot in time to spoil myself on my birthday. I was hoping for an isolated music track on Bartleby but at least it's available courtesy of Johnny Trunk.

reaky

#729 Post by reaky » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:09 am

Very happy to see Voices and Bartleby announced, and I really liked Unsuitable Job for a Woman when I saw it a while ago on Talking Pictures TV - so 1981 you can almost hear Josef K tuning up in the background. If there’s a bundle offer I may throw in the risible Devil’s Men.

jlnight

#730 Post by jlnight » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:46 am

No, it was Film4 that An Unsuitable Job turned up on. The Devil's Men was part of the Cellar Club season on TPTV. Some nice Greek locations but a bit muddled. I think there were three different blonde women that feature that I thought were the same character! And how does a feature length Super 8 version work? I thought the format demanded it be shorter?

reaky

#731 Post by reaky » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:50 am

Indicator’s push to release poorer and poorer Cushing films will surely eventuate in The Uncanny getting a deluxe limited edition. Meanwhile, The Creeping Flesh sobs in a corner.

colinr0380

#732 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:28 am

reaky wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:50 am
Indicator’s push to release poorer and poorer Cushing films will surely eventuate in The Uncanny getting a deluxe limited edition. Meanwhile, The Creeping Flesh sobs in a corner.
Has Incense For The Damned (aka Blood Suckers in the US (NSFW)) come out anywhere on Blu-ray yet? That's got an amazing cast of Peter Cushing, Patrick Macnee and Edward Woodward (though they are all supporting Johnny Sekka in the main role) and was directed by Robert Hartford-Davis a year or two after he directed Cushing in Corruption. That's another UK horror shot in Greece/Cyprus too, if that helps films get Indicator-ed!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

reaky

#733 Post by reaky » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:37 am

And the Tyburn Two (The Ghoul and Legend of the Werewolf) seem permanently off-limits, thanks to Kevin Francis.

Dr Amicus

#734 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:34 pm

reaky wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:37 am
And the Tyburn Two (The Ghoul and Legend of the Werewolf) seem permanently off-limits, thanks to Kevin Francis.
That's a shame - I had wondered why they were MIA. I'm not a huge fan of Ghoul, but have a real soft spot for Werewolf (not least Ron Moody and Peter Cushing going above and beyond the call of duty acting wise).

But as for the releases actually coming, I'm in for all four. I've never seen Devil's Men but the Cushing talk makes that a must (I have seen Incense for the Damned, which I recall as being rather odd). Possibly the one I'm most excited about is Unsuitable Job - I've missed the (very few?) screenings on TV and love Radio On (and liked the ITV adaptation from a few years back).

MichaelB

#735 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Dr Amicus wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:34 pm
That's a shame - I had wondered why they were MIA. I'm not a huge fan of Ghoul, but have a real soft spot for Werewolf (not least Ron Moody and Peter Cushing going above and beyond the call of duty acting wise).
They'd have come out years ago if it hadn't been for their owner blocking their release. See also five out of seven of Paul Verhoeven's Dutch films - there's a factor common to them that isn't shared by Spetters and Flesh + Blood.

Unfortunately, if the global rightsholder won't play ball, that's that.

ryannichols7

#736 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 pm

so since there is a UK title being reissued in the US, what are the chances we see some more of these coming stateside? I think quite a few of their are unclaimed in the US post Twilight Time, will be curious to see if they can make it happen

yoloswegmaster

#737 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:13 pm

La Piscine?

PfR73

#738 Post by PfR73 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Probably The Swimmer, which was already stated as forthcoming earlier in the thread.

rapta

#739 Post by rapta » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:00 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:27 pm
Probably The Swimmer, which was already stated as forthcoming earlier in the thread.
According to Indicator, it's not The Swimmer. And as per somebody on BR.com, it's also not La Piscine (nor Sexy Beast or Ozon's Swimming Pool).

Any guesses?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#740 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:02 pm

The Limey?

rapta

#741 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 am

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:02 pm
The Limey?
I'd be very happy if that were the case, but I doubt it as Lionsgate released it over here last April (still haven't got it myself as waiting for it to drop to a slightly more sensible price for a barebones disc).

colinr0380

#742 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:26 am

I couldn't imagine having a version of The Limey without the Soderbergh sparring with Lem Dobbs commentary track on it!

Dr Amicus

#743 Post by Dr Amicus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:08 am

Somebody on bluray.com suugested The Fiend which seems a likely candidate. I did wonder about another Hartford Davies film, Incense for the Damned, which also features a swimming pool.

My first thought though was Hammer's Crescendo - but that's with Warners (at least in the US).

Finch

#744 Post by Finch » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:20 pm

No idea what it could be.

knives

#745 Post by knives » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 pm

He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (I’m mostly joking, but that would be in their wheelhouse)

GaryC

#746 Post by GaryC » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:54 am

knives wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 pm
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (I’m mostly joking, but that would be in their wheelhouse)
I would be all over that if they did release it, as it's one of my favourite Australian films of the last twenty years. There isn't a Blu-ray anywhere as far as I know.

Dr Amicus

#747 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:26 am

Somebody on BluRay.com suggested Scream and Scream Again, which is something I'm expecting (and hoping) for an Indicator or Arrow release - this was later argued unlikely, and it has to be said if that is the acid bath in the film, the person doesn't look like anyone who ends up in it (proviso - I have seen the film a lot, but not for a few years).

Adam X

#748 Post by Adam X » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:16 am

While it’d be great to see it released, that’s not Noah Taylor.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#749 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:40 am

Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread as my question refers more to a lack of indication.
However I thought to choose an Indicator related thread in the hope that it may well be Indicator that responds to the question in both theory and practice. As someone who finds the puzzle of rights ownership /distribution harder than Chinese algebra (nod to Tom Waits for the analogy) I would love to know if there is a glimmer of hope for Losey's King and Country to be made available in a deserving version that would allow us to savour it in all its heartbreaking ,anger-invoking, Brechtian magnificence. If ever a film encapsulated the adage of Lions led by Donkeys this is the one. So if anyone can elucidate whether it might be feasible for Indicator or anyone else of value to rectify the current situation I would be extremely grateful.

MichaelB

#750 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48 am

StudioCanal has the UK rights, so I suspect they'll end up doing it themselves, as they've already restored The Servant and Accident.

Put it like this: if the rights had been up for grabs, I suspect Powerhouse would have grabbed them at the same time that they took on Eve: they've already released four Losey titles to date (Time Without Pity, Eve, The Damned, Secret Ceremony), so it's highly likely that others would have been on their radar.