Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

fdm

Re: Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

#226 Post by fdm » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 pm

Kind of surprised me that Shogun's Joy of Torture from Arrow came without a booklet. No idea if there was a slip.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#227 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:41 am

fdm wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 pm
Kind of surprised me that Shogun's Joy of Torture from Arrow came without a booklet. No idea if there was a slip.
I bought the US edition early on. It had a booklet but no slip

Ribs

#228 Post by Ribs » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:11 pm

No booklet in US edition of Invisible Man Appears from BN.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#229 Post by swo17 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 pm

Really? I just ordered it from there a month ago and it still had one

Telstar

#230 Post by Telstar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:45 pm

Any suggestions on the best way to locate a couple of missing Arrow booklets? Are there sites where people sell or trade them?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#231 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Search eBay for listings with pictures that physically verify inclusion of a booklet

Ovader

#232 Post by Ovader » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 pm

Received Bicycle Thieves and Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji from a late August Zavvi purchase and both have booklets.

DeprongMori

#233 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:43 pm

FWIW, I just received Nightfall through Rarewaves, and no booklet. Not too surprised as it’s been out a while.

I really wish Arrow would follow the Indicator model and issue the initial pressing under a different SKU.

Telstar

#234 Post by Telstar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Am I missing something or has the re-vamped Arrow website eliminated booklet downloads?

Glowingwabbit

#235 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:33 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:43 pm
FWIW, I just received Nightfall through Rarewaves, and no booklet. Not too surprised as it’s been out a while.

I really wish Arrow would follow the Indicator model and issue the initial pressing under a different SKU.
Agreed. it's why I skip their sales. If I don't buy it early on I tend to just wait for a used copy on eBay so I can confirm a booklet is included.

Since I see someone mentioned it in August I actually grabbed The Invisible Man Appears the other day from Amazon and got a booklet. So random.

fdm

#236 Post by fdm » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Didn't open it, but it looked like there was no booklet in Over the Edge, just a card of some sort.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#237 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Has anyone bought recently A Tale of Two Sisters with a slipcover but no booklet? (This happened to me a few years back with A Fish Called Wanda.) DiabolikDvd just re-stocked Sisters told me there was a slipcover but weren't completely certain of the booklet.

Glowingwabbit

#238 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 pm
Has anyone bought recently A Tale of Two Sisters with a slipcover but no booklet? (This happened to me a few years back with A Fish Called Wanda.) DiabolikDvd just re-stocked Sisters told me there was a slipcover but weren't completely certain of the booklet.
Doesn't the slipcover usually mean it will still have a booklet? I've never run into a release that still had the slipcover but no booklet.

ryannichols7

#239 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:17 pm

impressively Masumura's Black Test Car came from the Arrow sale with a booklet. let's see if Giants and Toys and Irezumi do too, but they're inexplicably backordered

Adam X

#240 Post by Adam X » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:42 pm

So it turns out the ability to dowload OOP booklets from Arrow's website is still there, it's just buried in your account page rather than on each individual title listing. I guess this might let them keep titles that go out of print further down the line, should it be maintained.

You'll find the listing under My Account/View My Points & Rewards/View all PDF's. No idea if anything's been added in the meantime.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#241 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:45 pm

Is this the UK site? On the USA site you get "HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found." when you click on the title.

Adam X

#242 Post by Adam X » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am

Yeah, the UK site.

Charles

#243 Post by Charles » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:53 am

Just wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble of printing these, trimming to size, and storing with the discs.

I'm grateful they provide them, even while despising the need for it in the first place. What's mystifying to me, though, is the limited selection of PDFs. Especially when, of the three or four releases I'm missing the booklet for, there's a PDF available for only one of those titles.

MichaelB

#244 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:30 am

Depending on what was in the original booklet, there may be copyright complications.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#245 Post by tenia » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:25 pm

I also suspect there is a certain latency for the PDF to be put online. Most of the ones available at the moment are from 2019 and older, it seems the most recent is from Edge of the Axe, which was released in January 2020.

Charles

#246 Post by Charles » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:34 pm

I don't see release dates on their pages, but no matter -- that does make sense in regard to those I ordered "just a little bit late".

therewillbeblus

#247 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:06 pm

Irezumi - no booklet

DeprongMori

#248 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:09 pm

At this point, unless I’m pre-ordering something, I’ve pretty much given up on Arrow releases. The “first run with booklets” is apparently so small these days as to disappoint regularly. I needed an excuse to cut down on my disc purchases anyway, and this constant disappointment with Arrow upon opening their mystery packages has finally pushed me to drop Arrow in general. JSA, which only came out last January, arrived sans booklet this week.

If they ever start following the model of BFI (where the first run with booklets is large enough not to sell out immediately) or Indicator (where the second printing is a different SKU, so you always know exactly what you are getting), I’ll reconsider.

dwk

#249 Post by dwk » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:57 pm

I've gotten to the point that unless an Arrow limited edition has an extra film I'll usually wait for the standard edition. I'm fine will missing their booklets because I have found the majority range from worthless to passable. Very few contain content that seems vital. (Of course this could just be me, as there is not much film writing that I am finding worth my time.)

rapta

#250 Post by rapta » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:05 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:09 pm
At this point, unless I’m pre-ordering something, I’ve pretty much given up on Arrow releases. The “first run with booklets” is apparently so small these days as to disappoint regularly. I needed an excuse to cut down on my disc purchases anyway, and this constant disappointment with Arrow upon opening their mystery packages has finally pushed me to drop Arrow in general. JSA, which only came out last January, arrived sans booklet this week.

If they ever start following the model of BFI (where the first run with booklets is large enough not to sell out immediately) or Indicator (where the second printing is a different SKU, so you always know exactly what you are getting), I’ll reconsider.
BFI titles with booklets are occasionally running out spectacularly fast though. Bait was one example, and the limited edition It Couldn't Happen Here is long gone (and no booklet in the reissue), to give another. Bait actually ran out on pre-order, which was a surprise.

I know what you mean though, I've given up chasing them and just aim to get a booklet if I can. If it's a title I care more about (or am interested in more than the average person), I usually go for the LE which guarantees a booklet, and otherwise just buy the title as soon as possible when it's on sale (so a few months after release). Don't mind paying £2 more for a title than it would be 3-6 months later if it guarantees I get the full package. I've done that with the Matsumoto titles, for example, and have booklets for all of them. JSA is a film I love so I did pre-order that, but I think that was one of the last titles I actually pre-ordered from Arrow (and I think I just had some reward points to use anyway).

It's a complete gamble buying online though. I've had better luck with booklets from retailers rather than Arrow direct, but it completely depends which warehouse your order comes from and you could get newer stock which doesn't have booklets. That's happened to me a few times, so wherever I can I actually go to HMV and physically check on certain titles there and then rather than gamble (if they have said titles in stock of course).