swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1576 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:10 pm

On the spine you can see an Arrow Films logo, but not Video or Academy

Ribs

#1577 Post by Ribs » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 pm

A line that I believe they haven't used in five years - just saying, seeing as this went from release teased in postcards to not even announced with no features included the main culprit would seem to be what's transpired about Carruth's personal behavior over the Summer. I understand Arrow regularly features people like Jodorowski who are varying degrees of cancelled but this is a situation where there is actual litigation publicly known about his horrifying behavior so I just think this treatment screams "we don't want anything to do with it but spent too much money to drop it."

JamesF

#1578 Post by JamesF » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:28 pm

I can neither confirm nor deny that
that is correct.

To clarify though, there have been quite a few Arrow Films releases in the last few years, including last year’s vanilla releases of True Romance, Ace Ventura, Last of the Mohicans and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1579 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:39 pm

JamesF, can you confirm whether Primer is a UK-only release?

JamesF

#1580 Post by JamesF » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Yes, it is - Carruth himself has domestic rights (we acquired the films from his international sales agent).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1581 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:18 pm

Good to know, thanks!

bluesforyou

#1582 Post by bluesforyou » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 pm

JamesF wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:28 pm
I can neither confirm nor deny that
that is correct.

To clarify though, there have been quite a few Arrow Films releases in the last few years, including last year’s vanilla releases of True Romance, Ace Ventura, Last of the Mohicans and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.
Are all these films you mentioned fated to being relegated forever or will they get special editions in the future?

hearthesilence

#1583 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:06 pm

JamesF wrote:
I can't say I'm a fan of Ace Ventura, but FWIW, if you ever do any extras for Jim Carrey's early comedies, Richard Hell might be an interesting cinephile to contact, just to get a sincere and intelligent take on why such a film may deserve a reappraisal. He even says in his review of Eternal Sunshine... that he's "liked him since Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, and The Mask -- his amazing triple-stage 1994 star-birth -- through the transcendent Cable Guy...he's genius for sure." He's probably reachable through his website.

J Wilson

#1584 Post by J Wilson » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 am

The "BB" in November could be Teruo Ishii's Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight. It was included in a Japanese DVD set of the Abnormal Love series, of which Arrow will have released three already.

SSF

#1585 Post by SSF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:44 am

Could the “D Box Set” be the the Daimajin Trilogy and the “Y Box Set” be the Yokai Monsters Trilogy?

Calvin

#1586 Post by Calvin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:50 am

If/when Arrow release the Yokai Monsters films, I expect they'll include Miike's The Great Yokai War as well

rapta

#1587 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:01 pm

JamesF wrote:
It would be a huge shame to see The Last of the Mohicans left there on the barebones shelf. Been anxiously waiting for another Michael Mann film from you guys ever since you did Thief. I imagine Mann himself would have a say in these things but Ali (Sony) needs a UK disc and Blackhat (Universal) would be worthy of a revisit if you could get the Director's Cut. That's if you can't do Mohicans for some reason.

Goes without saying but True Romance would also be a great title to cover properly. Tony Scott, Tarantino, Hans Zimmer, basically the whole cast. I guess that it needs restoring too - the AV has been underwhelming on every Blu-ray edition to date.

Calvin

#1588 Post by Calvin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm

rapta wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:01 pm
d Blackhat (Universal) would be worthy of a revisit if you could get the Director's Cut. That's if you can't do Mohicans for some reason.
Why not both?

rapta

#1589 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm
rapta wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:01 pm
d Blackhat (Universal) would be worthy of a revisit if you could get the Director's Cut. That's if you can't do Mohicans for some reason.
Why not both?
Both then. And chuck in Miami Vice, Public Enemies, even Collateral! :D

Calvin

#1590 Post by Calvin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:05 am

Teaser for tomorrow's Academy announcement:

Manhattan and/or Annie Hall in 4K?

dwk

#1591 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 am

Probably a re-released of The Naked City either alone or in a set with Brute Force. (The DASS release from the schedule posted on twitter.)

Ribs

#1592 Post by Ribs » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:53 am

I would imagine the use of the word “title” instead of “release” rules out a box set or paired releases or anything. I still want to believe that Two by Woody Allen 4K set will happen but don’t think the signs are great this would be for that.

M Sanderson

#1593 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:44 am

dwk wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 am
Probably a re-released of The Naked City either alone or in a set with Brute Force. (The DASS release from the schedule posted on twitter.)
I thought about that, Naked City from the more recent restoration.

Calvin

#1594 Post by Calvin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:21 am

dwk wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 am
Correct.
A DOUBLE BILL OF FILM NOIR CLASSICS!

Writer, director, producer and actor Jules Dassin was one of Hollywoods most remarkable talents. Between 1947 and 1955 he directed a string of stylish, gritty, and hard-hitting Film Noir classics including Thieves Highway and Night And The City. Blacklisted in the communist witch hunts of the House Un-American Activities, he would continue that run with Rififi, directed in France. Each film is a diamond hard classic, weathering the test of time with sharp edges intact.

Tales from The Urban Jungle brings together the two films which started that extraordinary streak of hits. In Brute Force, Burt Lancaster is Joe Collins, one of a number of convicts squeezed into cell R17 and intent on breaking out. Desperate to return to his cancer-ridden wife (Ann Blyth), and to escape the clutches of sadistic warden Captain Munsey (an unforgettable performance from Hume Cronyn) who enjoys a reign of terror over the inmates.

Meanwhile, in The Naked City, a blonde ex-model is murdered in her bathtub and detectives Muldoon (Barry Fitzgerald) and Halloran (Don Taylor) are assigned to the case. Their investigation leads them all over New York City, from Park Avenue to the Lower East Side, reaching its thrilling climax atop the Williamsburg Bridge. Inspired by the work of infamous tabloid photographer Weegee, The Naked City was the first major Hollywood production to be shot entirely on the streets of New York, making use of more than a hundred authentic locations. Both films feature stark cinematography and taut writing to land an incredible one-two punch that remains impactful to this day.

Sourced from new 4K restorations, and complemented by a wealth of bonus features, this Special Edition Blu-Ray set is both the perfect entry point for newcomers to the work of a great director, and a must have for die-hard fans of Film Noir and Jules Dassin.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of new 4K restorations of both films
Original uncompressed mono 1.0 audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for both films
Illustrated booklet featuring writing on the films by Alastair Philips, Barry Salt, Sergio Angelini, Andrew Graves, Richard Brooks and Frank Krutnik
Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sister Hyde

DISC ONE BRUTE FORCE
Brand new commentary by historian and critic Josh Nelson
Nothings Okay, a brand new visual essay by film historians David Cairns & Fiona Watson
Josh Olson: Brute Force, a personal appreciation by the Academy Award winning screenwriter of A History of Violence
Burt Lancaster: The Film Noir Years, an in-depth look at Burt Lancasters early career by Kate Buford, author of Burt Lancaster: An American Life
Theatrical Trailers
Image Gallery

DISC TWO THE NAKED CITY
Naked City Radio, a unique new audio commentary by historian and critic David Cairns featuring actors Steven McNicoll and Francesca Dymond
The Pulse of the City, a brand new visual essay by historian and critic Eloise Ross
New York and The Naked City, a personalised history of NYC on the big screen by critic Amy Taubin
The Hollywood Ten, a 1950 documentary short on the ten filmmakers blacklisted from Hollywood for their refusal to name names before the House Un-American Activities Committee, including The Naked Citys screenwriter Albert Maltz
Gallery of production stills by photojournalist Weegee
Theatrical Trailer
--
Ribs wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:53 am
I would imagine the use of the word “title” instead of “release” rules out a box set or paired releases or anything. I still want to believe that Two by Woody Allen 4K set will happen but don’t think the signs are great this would be for that.
A New York bridge in black and white is probably as clear a reference to Manhattan as Arrow are ever going to provide with a clue! I think Arrow are probably our only hope for Woody Allen on UHD; it seems pretty clear that MGM are not going to release the 4K restorations themselves and I doubt Criterion would be willing to go near them. I'm surprised MGM haven't got them on VoD platforms in 4K, as that'd be the easiest way to dump them.

EddieLarkin

#1595 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 am

I'd already sold my old Arrow BDs in anticipation of importing the Criterions, so this is very welcome considering the cost of doing so. It's too bad they didn't spring for UHD releases to help offset upgrade fatigue, Arrow releasing films like this on the format would really show that Criterion are becoming less and less important in this business (and maybe help encourage Indicator and Eureka to adopt the format too).

Ribs

#1596 Post by Ribs » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 am

Calvin wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:21 am
Ribs wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:53 am
A New York bridge in black and white is probably as clear a reference to Manhattan as Arrow are ever going to provide with a clue! I think Arrow are probably our only hope for Woody Allen on UHD; it seems pretty clear that MGM are not going to release the 4K restorations themselves and I doubt Criterion would be willing to go near them. I'm surprised MGM haven't got them on VoD platforms in 4K, as that'd be the easiest way to dump them.
I'd like to think if they were to become available again Kino would have a decent shot of wanting to put them out on UHD - but we know they aren't the ones that licensed the new 4K restos for the US when they became available, as they specifically said someone else did back then (I assumed at the time it had to be Arrow, and have only renewed my hopes of late because of their embrace of UHD)

Aunt Peg

#1597 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:01 am

Received the Imamura box-set during the week. I had never seen Zegen and it was a treat. Will get around to watching Black Rain which I haven't seen since it's cinema release soon I hope.

Would be great if Arrow Academy can get some more Imamura (Why Not?, The Eel, Dr. Akagi & Warm Water Under a Red Bridge).

Dylan

#1598 Post by Dylan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Ribs wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 am
I'd like to think if they were to become available again Kino would have a decent shot of wanting to put them out on UHD - but we know they aren't the ones that licensed the new 4K restos for the US when they became available, as they specifically said someone else did back then (I assumed at the time it had to be Arrow, and have only renewed my hopes of late because of their embrace of UHD)
If the Woody Allen restorations don't come out through Arrow, it does seems like Kino Lorber would be more-than willing to release them if they can obtain the license. Unless I'm mistaken, Kino Lorber is the only American company who have released a Woody Allen-related blu-ray in the last year (Don't Drink the Water in April, 2020, with Allen's name prominently featured on the cover).

nitin

#1599 Post by nitin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:25 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 am
I'd already sold my old Arrow BDs in anticipation of importing the Criterions, so this is very welcome considering the cost of doing so. It's too bad they didn't spring for UHD releases to help offset upgrade fatigue, Arrow releasing films like this on the format would really show that Criterion are becoming less and less important in this business (and maybe help encourage Indicator and Eureka to adopt the format too).
Considering they didnt go UHD for The Bicycle Thieves, I dont think it's realistic to expect them to go UHD for these sorts of titles, at least not right now.

MichaelB

#1600 Post by MichaelB » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:32 am

It’s simply not a realistic commercial proposition given the current per-unit cost of manufacturing UHD discs and the minimum RRP that would have to be charged. Hopefully this will fall, but right now this is a whopping barrier to entry for small indie labels.