Norwegian DVDs

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
hamsterburger

Re: Norwegian DVDs

#26 Post by hamsterburger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:14 am

repeat wrote:Apparently there's even a sticker on the cover confirming English subs. It's dirt cheap at Platekompaniet, but unlike Discshop they don't ship abroad :(
I own this blu-ray and can confirm that it is english-friendly.

L.A.

#27 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 am

I just contacted the Finnish CDON if they could add the Veiviseren Blu-ray on sale there as well. They promised to look into it.

hamsterburger

#28 Post by hamsterburger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:34 pm

repeat wrote:It's dirt cheap at Platekompaniet, but unlike Discshop they don't ship abroad :(
Yeah, the largest, cheapest and best Norwegian retailer is indeed Platekompaniet, but as you say they don’t ship abroad.

However the following stores do: http://www.dvdhuset.no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.dvdstrax.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For those in Sweden cdon.se stock some Norwegian releases.

DVDhusets prices are somewhat more expensive than Platekompaniet, but there are a few Norwegian titles that are cheap.

For example Ung flukt (The Wayward Girl), Edith Carlmars last film and Liv Ullmanns first, is quite cheap at kr 49. It was quite scandalous at its time for its sexual content and nude scenes with Liv Ullmann.

Also at this price is perhaps the best Norwegian comedy ever made Mannen som ikke kunne le (The man who couldn’t laugh) by Bo Hermansson.

Several other Norske klassikere DVDs are kr 79 and kr 89. All have English subs.
For example the De dødes tjern (Lake of the dead) an early horror film, and the first Norwegian feature drama in cinemascope.

"Bjørnson på film", with the two silents Synnøve Solbakken, Et farlig frieri (A Dangerous Wooing) and the early sound film En glad gut (A Happy Boy) is only kr 129.

Markens grøde (Growth of the Soil) is the same price

Brudeferden i Hardanger (The Bridal Party in Hardanger) is kr 139.

Veiviseren/Ofelas (The Pathfinder) is kr 119 on bluray as is the excellent cold war thriller Orions belte.

Finally, DVDstrax has a pretty poor selection of Norwegian films but I thought I might mention it as well as they ship internationally.

MichaelB

#29 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Given the eye-watering prices for pretty much everything that I was charged on a visit to Norway, I was pleasantly surprised by how not-bad a deal I got on Pathfinder - only around £16 including delivery. So thanks for the tip-off - I'm looking forward to this!
Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

repeat

#30 Post by repeat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Many thanks for the vendor tips and film recommendations, Hamsterburger - I'll be placing an order with DVDHuset too!

BTW does anyone have a copy of this edition of Reprise that looks like this that actually has Danish, Swedish and Finnish subtitles in addition to Norwegian HOH subs? Several websites list it as having them, and the infamous CDON even keeps using a picture of the back cover that lists all four languages - but the one I got from them only has norsk HOH. I'm wondering if the multilingual edition even exists.

L.A.

#31 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Den store barnedåpen (1931)

Norway's first sound film if I'm not mistaken. Available on DVD and English subs should be presented as well.

Calvin

#32 Post by Calvin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:30 pm

hamsterburger wrote:
Calvin wrote:Will Ni liv get a Blu-Ray release? I think it was the NFI that released Fante-Anne on Blu
I asked a friend at NB about this today and the reply was "DVD only".
I wish that wasn't the answer but thank you very much for asking! I guess DVD will have to do.

repeat

#33 Post by repeat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 am

L.A. wrote:Available on DVD
On a side note, that old NFI site (is it still active to make purchases through, or should one just e-mail them?) reminds me - when I visited their shop in Oslo some years ago to get the Løchen DVD (thanks to whoever it was who introduced it on this forum), I was amazed to find an English-language publication on Kiju Yoshida that they put out (Yoshida Kiju: 50 Years of Avant-Garde Filmmaking in Postwar Japan, ed. Dick Stegewerns). It has an interview, apparently exclusive essays by Japanese writers and a statement ("My Film Theory") by Yoshida. If anyone with any interest in Japanese film is ordering something from them, I totally recommend to ask if they have copies left. (It's a NFI publication, but the retrospective seems to have been in collaboration with the Danish Cinemateket so I guess they might also have had copies for sale)

hamsterburger

#34 Post by hamsterburger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 am

repeat wrote:BTW does anyone have a copy of this edition of Reprise that looks like this that actually has Danish, Swedish and Finnish subtitles in addition to Norwegian HOH subs? Several websites list it as having them, and the infamous CDON even keeps using a picture of the back cover that lists all four languages - but the one I got from them only has norsk HOH. I'm wondering if the multilingual edition even exists.
The Norwegian release from Nordisk just has Norwegian HOH although it also has an audio commentary, which of course is of no use if you don't understand Norwegian. The Swedish release by TriArt has Swedish subs. Why not just get the US or UK DVDs? Both have english subtitles.

L.A.

#35 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:28 am

hamsterburger

#36 Post by hamsterburger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am

repeat wrote:I was amazed to find an English-language publication on Kiju Yoshida that they put out (Yoshida Kiju: 50 Years of Avant-Garde Filmmaking in Postwar Japan, ed. Dick Stegewerns). It has an interview, apparently exclusive essays by Japanese writers and a statement ("My Film Theory") by Yoshida. If anyone with any interest in Japanese film is ordering something from them, I totally recommend to ask if they have copies left. (It's a NFI publication, but the retrospective seems to have been in collaboration with the Danish Cinemateket so I guess they might also have had copies for sale)
This was published because of a retrospective of Yoshida Kijus films in 2010. I was only able to see Coup d’état, which is a fantastic film and I am surprised that he is as unknown and unappreciated as a director as he seems to be today.

By the way, the book costs kr 100.

repeat

#37 Post by repeat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 am

hamsterburger wrote:The Norwegian release from Nordisk just has Norwegian HOH although it also has an audio commentary, which of course is of no use if you don't understand Norwegian. The Swedish release by TriArt has Swedish subs. Why not just get the US or UK DVDs? Both have english subtitles.
I can read Norwegian, but not at subtitling speed in a dialogue-heavy film, and certainly not listen to a commentary - I would like to though someday! I wound up with the Nordisk DVD because the vendor claimed (as DVDHuset does) that it had subs in my mothertongue; just another example of how important it is to always confirm from someone who has the disc... I think I'll get the Miramax R1, for some reason I thought it was out of print; the UK R2 definitely is.

At 100 NOK the Yoshida book is a steal - It's a real shame his films aren't readily available outside of France; the Carlotta boxes are great if you can follow French subs or have the patience for fansubs.

hamsterburger

#38 Post by hamsterburger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 am

L.A. wrote:Is Kautokeino-opprøret (2008) worth seeing?
I certainly think that it is. The film is based on true events that deal with the shameful treatment of the indigenous Sami population. Many regard it as something of a companion piece to The Pathfinder, seeing as it has the same director (Nils Gaup) and main actor (his son) Mikael Persbrandt is also very good in it. The Norwegian Blu-ray has English subtitles.

For those interested in the historic facts the article on English Wikipedia cover it pretty well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kautokeino_rebellion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Sorry, I haven’t figured out how to make proper links. Perhaps the mods can help?)

An interesting side note is that the film prompted the Norwegian University in Oslo to return for a proper burial the scull of one of the rebels that had been on display in their collection since his execution.

EDIT: Apparently the return happened before the film was released. The film just brought more attention to this fact,

L.A.

#39 Post by L.A. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 pm

^ Thank you for your reply.

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 am

Pathfinder finally arrived, and a quick spin suggests that the Blu-ray transfer is excellent - a pin-sharp image, with some lovely soft grain (very noticeable indeed given all the snowy landscapes) and what appears to be an entirely blemish-free source. There's even the option of an English-language menu.

The only downside was a predictable one - although there are lots of extras (a commentary, several substantial featurettes/interviews), they're all in unsubtitled Norwegian.

vertovfan

#41 Post by vertovfan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 am

Does anyone here in the US have experience ordering from the NFI store? I emailed them to place an order, and successfully received the discs in the mail. Then I received a giro bank invoice - trouble is, I've never used one before and I'm not even sure it's possible in the US. Any advice would be much appreciated!

L.A.

#42 Post by L.A. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:20 pm

L.A. wrote:a box set of Skouen's films will be released this fall.
If you take a look at the back of the box, it seems that only some of the films will have English subtitles. :-s

L.A.

#43 Post by L.A. » Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 am

Got an email from Nasjonalbiblioteket (National Library) in Oslo and last week they released Pan (Harald Schwenzen, 1922) on DVD and with English subtitles.

Erikht

#44 Post by Erikht » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:00 am

My wifes PhD on Norwegian Occupation dramas has had it's viva, and if any of you want it, I can send it to you as aPdF if you PM me your e-Mail adress.

L.A.

#45 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Tonny (Per Gjersøe; Nils R. Müller, 1962) is the latest Norwegian classic on Blu-ray with English subtitles.

L.A.

#46 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:50 am

Received an email from National Library (Nasjonalbiblioteket) in Norway earlier today. Their next silent publication on Blu-ray called Stumme filmspor will be released in September. The films are from 1910s.
Stumme filmspor, the collection of silent films, will have English subtitles (as well as a booklet with newly written film essays, with English translations). Stumme filmspor includes the titles Under forvandlingens lov, Dæmonen (fragments), Revolutionens datter, Historien om en gut and a short film called Paa jagt efter landets skjønneste kvinde. On the disc you will also find over 200 stills from “lost” silent films from the period.
Their latest DVD releases with English subtitles Gjest Baardsen (1939) and Liten Ida (1981) were released earlier this month. In October comes Klokker i måneskinn (1964), most likely DVD only but with EN subs as well.

Also asked whether they have plans for a Blu-ray of Nine Lives (1957) which for me is the best Norwegian film ever made. They said that it is in consideration.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#47 Post by Caligula » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:51 am

Nine Lives is a wonderful film - I'd be in for an English-friendly Blu-ray release

L.A.

#48 Post by L.A. » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:53 pm

Got Stumme filmspor and Gjest Baardsen from National Library just now. Sent an email and they were delivered by DHL. Nice service. 👍

djvaso

#49 Post by djvaso » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:33 am

Vibeke Løkkeberg boxset:
Vibeke Løkkeberg has since the feature film debut Åpenbaringen from 1977 been a central filmmaker in Norwegian film. Several of her films thematize the shadowy sides of the nuclear family and depict especially female experiences in a sharp and nuanced way.

This release brings together five of Løkkeberg's films:

The short story film Rain (1975) is based on the short story collection Trylleglasset, written by Torborg Nedreaas, and follows the eight-year-old Herdis on a rainy day in Bergen.

The Revelation (1977) is Løkkeberg's feature film debut. The film thematizes the housewife's desperate and locked situation in her portrait of the middle-aged woman Inger Johansen.

The Runner Girl (1981) is about seven-year-old Kamilla, who runs errands for the family's shoemaker's workshop and laundry in post-war Bergen, and who does everything she can to save her parents' marriage. Among other things, the film received the Critics 'Award during the Norwegian Film Festival in 1981 and was selected for the Critics' Week during the Cannes Film Festival.

Hud (1986) is a historical drama set in a merchant town in Western Norway in the 1880s. The film tells the story of Vilde, a young woman who has been sexually abused by her stepfather since childhood. Skin thematizes a human condition, and centers around the historical experience of being a woman. The film was selected for the Un certain regard program during the 1987 Cannes Film Festival.

Måker (1991) is a family drama about a bankrupt shipowner family. The film's plot is set in 1915 and shows how the children in the family are affected by the financial disaster, at the same time as it depicts young romance and the hope of love.

The film release contains a booklet with a text written by Johanne Kielland Servoll.
Bonus: Trailer for the movies Skin and Seagulls .
https://www.nb.no/nettbutikk/produkt/vi ... kkeberg-2/

PillowRock

#50 Post by PillowRock » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:11 pm

Does any good way still exist to order Norwegian DVDs to be shipped to the US (beyond getting the National Library releases directly from the library)? The links posted back in 2013 are not leading me to operating web sites any more.