Screen Captures (5-6 per post + links to additional images)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
JanPB

#51 Post by JanPB » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:58 am

Satantango from Clavis Film.

--
Jan

Kinsayder

#52 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:32 am

How frustrating! But it looks like you'll beat me to it. My copy's still passing through the bowels of the French postal system.

Gordon

#53 Post by Gordon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:58 am

marty wrote:The weekend after next there is an Antonioni retrospective in Melbourne, Australia and all films are apparent NEW prints. This is my schedule:

The Red Desert (Sat Oct 28, 4.15pm)
Blow Up (Sat Oct 28, 6.45pm)
Zabriskie Point (Sat Oct 28, 9.15pm)

L'Avventura (Sun Oct 29, 3.15pm)
La Notte (Sun Oct 29, 6.00pm)
L'Eclisse (Sun Oct 29, 8.30pm)
Very savvy, Marty. Lucky bastard! :D
Kinsayder wrote:How frustrating! But it looks like you'll beat me to it. My copy's still passing through the bowels of the French postal system.
La Poste is pretty good, says I. Posta Romana are really terrible. Now that they are in the EU they ought to buck up their ideas.
davidhare wrote:My copy of Gueule d'Amour arrived today but FedEx left a fucking message card so I can't post caps until tomorrow nite.
Fucking annoying when that happens. Just bung the DVD through the letterbox and fuck off in your van, drongo.

denti alligator

#54 Post by denti alligator » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:59 am

Dunno, those Satantango caps are jaggied all over the place. See especially the fourth cap. I hope that's a result of the capturing.

Gordon

#55 Post by Gordon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:24 am

Yes, it looks like interlacing, doesn't it?

JanPB

#56 Post by JanPB » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:28 pm

denti alligator wrote:Dunno, those Satantango caps are jaggied all over the place. See especially the fourth cap. I hope that's a result of the capturing.
Yes, it's an interlaced transfer. Anyone knows a deinterlacing program for the Mac that reads VOB files directly? I could deinterlace by going throgh DV but that recodes the frames AFAIK. (OTOH so does the JPEG :? )

So the jaggies go away in the normal playback. BUT there remains another problem: the DVD compression is constant-rate and now and then ugly shimmering and sort of "periodic flickering" familiar from cheaply compressed home videos can be seen. Let's hope AE do their own compression of the original whatever-format-it-is-in. The source element, BTW, has reel change marks. Couldn't Bela Tarr insist on a better source? I guess it's a money problem.

--
Jan

Kinsayder

#57 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:39 pm

JanPB wrote:Anyone knows a deinterlacing program for the Mac that reads VOB files directly?
You can choose Deinterlace from the Video menu in VLC. I generally use VLC for screencaps, though it's annoying that there's no way to single-step with VLC.

JanPB

#58 Post by JanPB » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm

Kinsayder wrote:
JanPB wrote:Anyone knows a deinterlacing program for the Mac that reads VOB files directly?
You can choose Deinterlace from the Video menu in VLC. I generally use VLC for screencaps, though it's annoying that there's no way to single-step with VLC.
Yes, it's annoying. I'll try to deinterlace those frames tonight, it's only fair to Clavis. OTOH their (is it theirs?) compression is firmly in the Kino and Facets league [-(

--
Jan

JanPB

#59 Post by JanPB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:08 am

JanPB wrote: Yes, it's annoying. I'll try to deinterlace those frames tonight, it's only fair to Clavis. OTOH their (is it theirs?) compression is firmly in the Kino and Facets league [-(
Something is funny about either VLC or the disc. No matter which deinterlacing algorithm VLC uses, it produces ugly, blurry, double-image freeze frames. This doesn't make sense since Satantango is a film-derived DVD (obviously) so each interlaced pair correspond to THE SAME film frame. Hence, there can be no ghosting and blurring, by definition. So there is a bug somewhere. Any clues?

A quick note added: it must be the discs because the bad interlacing is seen on freeze frames from Disc III but not on those from Disc II (e.g. Estike with the cat). And on Disc I it changes off and on.

--
Jan
Last edited by JanPB on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerrSchreck

#60 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:41 am

No eng subs right Dave?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Those fucking caps are stunning...

Kinsayder

#61 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:20 am

Quel beau travail! Barely a scratch or a fleck of dust. For a 70-year-old film that looks amazing.

zedz

#62 Post by zedz » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm swooning already! Surely someone can bring this beautiful transfer of a beautiful film over to an English-speaking territory without screwing it up!

Kinsayder

#63 Post by Kinsayder » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:08 pm

Watched Gueule last night. Fantastic, clean image, but it's had some cropping top, left and right.

For comparison, here is David's last capture from the DVD:

and here is the same frame from a French TV showing:

HerrSchreck

#64 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:50 am

Slight cropping but nothing to cry about-- somebody take dave up on his offer to run a trans if someone will time the file to run alongside the dvd on a rip--some savvy ob-com, PLEASE.

ricksaboot

#65 Post by ricksaboot » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:33 am

i thought i could help out with images from the mexican dvd of subida al cielo. this is by a company called alter films

i've got all the other bunuel mexican dvds if anyone cares for more

Hashi

#66 Post by Hashi » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:27 am

Ok, here's caps from Yume Pictures UK DVD. Jeez £14.99 for this?!? Interlaced, NTSC->PAL transfer. Still watchable and at least you get white subs.

Latter three captures are obviously with force weave (#4 with the true horror of shattered image) if someone likes to watch interlaced combing, and the first three are without.

Great Madcap later today.

Kinsayder

#67 Post by Kinsayder » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:29 pm

La Salamandre
French R2 (Editions Montparnasse)
Non-anamorphic. Optional German subs only.

(The grain in the last image is deliberate.)

Kinsayder

#68 Post by Kinsayder » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Porte des Lilas (René Clair)
French R2
Another sparkling transfer from René Chateau.

Dany Carrel was a great little actress when viewed from the right angle :D

Kinsayder

#69 Post by Kinsayder » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Le Deuxième souffle (Second Breath)
French R2 (René Chateau), no subs

Steven H

#70 Post by Steven H » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Screen captures from Criterion's Fires on the Plain:

see Matt's post beneath for captures in the correct aspect ratio, as presented on the Criterion disc

Most of it is absolutely stunning, but the print does show a lot of age and damage in parts (I'm not the kind that gives a damn about a little dirt and scratches, just mentioning it.) Here's to hoping that Enjo and/or The Harp of Burma are released along with it.
Last edited by Steven H on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

#71 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Steven H wrote:Screen captures from Criterion's Fires on the Plain
The proportions in those caps seem all out of whack. Their aspect ratio is 1.94:1, this is a 'scope film. Did you alter them at all?

Steven H

#72 Post by Steven H » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Matt wrote:Maybe it's just the scope lenses, but the proportions in those caps seem all out of whack.
It might be me? It seems that I always have issues capturing with PowerDVD, or maybe I'm just really sensitive to a static capture versus film motion.

edit: RE: aspect ratio - let me mess with the program and get back to you.

Matt

#73 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:24 pm

Matt wrote:
Steven H wrote:Screen captures from Criterion's Fires on the Plain
The proportions in those caps seem all out of whack. Their aspect ratio is 1.94:1, this is a 'scope film. Did you alter them at all?
Pardon my PhotoChopping, but they ought to look more like this, no?

Steven H

#74 Post by Steven H » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Matt, yours look more like what's coming up on PowerDVD. I was using a program to change them to JPG which was squeezing them, apparently. Apologies.

Matt

#75 Post by Matt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:48 am

Steven H wrote:Matt, yours look more like what's coming up on PowerDVD. I was using a program to change them to JPG which was squeezing them, apparently. Apologies.
No need to apologize for uncooperative technology. I think the caps look really good (certainly better than the Pandora's Box caps that have been popping up), but people should keep in mind that they've been adjusted in Photoshop, so there's some pixel interpolation going on there that obviously wouldn't appear in the actual DVD.