Pedro Costa on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
hellboytr

Pedro Costa on DVD

#1 Post by hellboytr » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:21 pm

I want to talk about the best DVD i have bought this year, of whose existence, i suspect, very few people are aware. Pedro Costa's Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie? has been issued on DVD in Portugal by Assirio & Alvim with English subtitles and a bunch of excellent extras. More info here, here and here. I bought it from CDGO, but it can also be bought from FNAC.

Screenshots from the main title.

John Cope

#2 Post by John Cope » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:00 am

I had to post my gratitude as well. Anything Straub related is very exciting. Still, this post reminded me of just how much I long to see Sicilia!

iangj

#3 Post by iangj » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:10 pm

There are French DVDs of two of Costa's films - CASA DA LAVA and OSSOS. Anyone seen them? Comments? I assume they're in Portuguese with French subtitles.

For that matter, has anyone seen anything by Costa, in whatever format? Any thoughts/reactions?

BrightEyes23

Pedro Costa on DVD

#4 Post by BrightEyes23 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Anyone have the R2 disc? Is it true that it has English subs? I'd like to be assured before buying it! Thanks.

John Cope

#5 Post by John Cope » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:11 pm

Well, I can't assure you as I don't own it but the English subs are clearly indicated as available on the page for this item on blueplanetdvd.com which is a resource I can highly recommend as trustworthy. Why not buy the two pack with Casa de Lava? It's a great deal.

Edit: I noticed that DVDBeaver also lists the Gemini edition as containing English subs. It contains extras which may not be on the other version, though they may (blueplanet tends not to list such things).

Rupert Cadell

#6 Post by Rupert Cadell » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:31 am

If you're talking about the Gemini/Madragoa Filmes edition it does contain english subtitles, both on film and the extras.(i own the disc)

BrightEyes23

#7 Post by BrightEyes23 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:12 am

thanks guys! i hope Vanda's Place (or home?) comes out somewhere, sometime.

Rupert Cadell

#8 Post by Rupert Cadell » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:17 am

There's a Japanese edition of "In Vanda's Room" ("No Quarto de Vanda"), probably the only one available. Here's the link: (no English subtitles i think)

Telstar

#9 Post by Telstar » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:01 pm

Anyone have any idea of the cheapest way to snag that reportedly very nice but obscenely expensive book/DVD edition of Pedro Costa's Où gît votre sourire enfoui?/Onde Jaz O Teu Sorriso? (Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie?). The best options I've found so far (and with those crazy shipping fees to the US, they're far from good) are at fnac.pt or at cdgo here

fred

#10 Post by fred » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:24 am

When I bought my copy cdgo was the cheapest option I could find. It's worth every penny.

But bear in mind this bit of news from Jonathan Rosenbaum in the current issue (#29) of CinemaScope
I finally received my cherished copy of the Portuguese book-and-DVD package devoted to Pedro Costa's Onde Jaz O Teu Sorriso? (2001), his brilliant documentary about Jean-Marie Straub and the late Danièle Huillet, which has become all the more precious since Huillet's tragic recent death. It's an ideal edition of a major film; everything is provided with English subtitles, including some outtakes from Straub-Huillet's 1999 Sicilia! (the film they're shown editing in the documentary) and some even more precious outtakes from Costa's film. (One of these is an outdoor laundry-hanging sequence that I find especially moving.)
My source for this package is a German web site, www.tfmonline.de/tfm/htm/Multimedia.htm, but the whole process was both costly and lengthy (it took months). I've since learned that a more direct (if still costly) source is the Portuguese FNAC (www.fnac.pt), and Costa has informed me that the two other editions will become available soon, perhaps even by the time this column appears: the 70-minute version of the film will appear in a French MK2 box set devoted to ten programs in the Cinéma de notre temps series, and the Barcelona-based www.intermedio.net will release a two-disc set with all the bonuses in the Portuguese edition plus an interview with Costa.
The Intermedio set may well not be English-subbed (I'd be a little surprised), but it might be worth waiting to find out.

planetjake

#11 Post by planetjake » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:25 pm

Saw Colossal Youth recently. Entranced.

Anyone want to point me to a website that'll sell me both Ossos & Casa de Lava? Amazon.fr is not currently stocking Ossos. I want these real bad.

Thank you for your time.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#12 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:00 pm

planetjake wrote:Anyone want to point me to a website that'll sell me both Ossos & Casa de Lava? Amazon.fr is not currently stocking Ossos. I want these real bad.
FNAC also no longer lists it and Alapage list it as "épuise".

Sorry I have no better news to report. Maybe used copies will show up on eBay France?

planetjake

#13 Post by planetjake » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 am

Thanks anyway. Doesn't look like anythings showing up on eBay, but I'll keep searching...

spencerw

#14 Post by spencerw » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:01 am

According to the second posting on this page, Gemini films, the label that released the two Costa DVDs, has gone bust. It could be, therefore, that these discs can no longer be had new.

Paupau

#15 Post by Paupau » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:26 am

With English subtitles, according to the page. No stock at the moment, but you could contact them.

O seu nome ( Your name ) / your e-mail / Telefone para contacto ( your telephone ) / Assunto ( Subject ) / Choose Encomendas Online ( Orders on line ) / Write the Message ( Mensagem ) / Click Enviar to Send.

ptmd

#16 Post by ptmd » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Does anyone know if this has English subtitles?

Actually, that question applies to all of Intermedio's DVD releases, which include a bunch of rare Sokurov films and will soon include Pedro Costa's Colossal Youth.

Nuno

#17 Post by Nuno » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:18 am

You can also buy "Onde jaz o teu sorriso?" directly from the editor: Assirio e Alvim. Just write a email to: vendas@assirio.com (António Carvalho).

Oedipax

#18 Post by Oedipax » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 am

ptmd wrote:Does anyone know if this has English subtitles?

Actually, that question applies to all of Intermedio's DVD releases, which include a bunch of rare Sokurov films and will soon include Pedro Costa's Colossal Youth.
Holy cow - they're also doing In Vanda's Room and a box set of Godard's Dziga Vertov Group films!!! Not to mention Duras - India Song and Baxter, Vera Baxter - plus a bunch of Jean Rouch. If only Criterion's release slate was that appealing to me... English subs on these would be a dream come true, so if anyone knows what their general policy is please do share.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 am

I believe someone here emailed them about subs on the Godard Vertov set and were told that they were contractually forbidden from including English subs.

Adam

#20 Post by Adam » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:03 pm

iangj wrote:There are French DVDs of two of Costa's films - CASA DA LAVA and OSSOS. Anyone seen them? Comments? I assume they're in Portuguese with French subtitles.

For that matter, has anyone seen anything by Costa, in whatever format? Any thoughts/reactions?
I saw a few of his films during the week they screened at REDCAT last year - pretty essential film going. Using video beautifully, he creates a unique and ravishing aesthetic. They are quiet observational tales of rough lives.

criterionsnob

#21 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:12 am

From Cinemascope:
Subscriptions with FREE DVDs

Beginning with the Summer 2008 issue, Cinema Scope subscribers will receive FREE DVDs courtesy of Filmswelike. The first DVD in this special Cinema Scope Presents series, featuring extra features developed in partnership with Cinema Scope, will be Pedro Costa’s COLOSSAL YOUTH .

Oedipax

#22 Post by Oedipax » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Damn, that's a pretty amazing deal. Colossal Youth on DVD for $20 and a year's subscription to Cinemascope to go with it.

a.khan

#23 Post by a.khan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Thanks for that; I just signed up.

Telstar

#24 Post by Telstar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:40 pm

It gets better. I just got an email from Andrew Tracy, managing editor of Cinema Scope, who confirms that they're planning to include a new "Cinema Scope Presents/Filmswelike" DVD with each and every issue beginning with the summer issue.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:47 pm

So it'd just be stupid not to sign up for this, right