Pedro Costa on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Guido

Re: Pedro Costa on DVD

#76 Post by Guido » Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 am

Ne change Rien: Includes a synopsis of Ne change Rien, photos, and a short clip.

Sorry if this doesn't quite belong here, but the Cannes '09 thread didn't seem appropriate...Is there enough info on the board to warrant a Costa thread in the Filmmakers section?

accatone

#77 Post by accatone » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:20 am

Maybe old news? - http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B002UQ9 ... 111_snp_dp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tavernier

#78 Post by tavernier » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Coming to Anthology Film Archives in NYC:
Nov 3-16
Pedro Costa’s NE CHANGE RIEN
The NY theatrical premiere run of Portuguese master Pedro Costa’s most recent feature film, a gorgeous and fascinating portrait of French actress and singer Jeanne Balibar that stands as a companion film to his equally process-oriented portrait of Jean-Marie Straub and Daniele Huillet, WHERE DOES YOUR HIDDEN SMILE LIE. We will be presenting NE CHANGE RIEN alongside a number of films selected by Costa.

knives

#79 Post by knives » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:37 am

IMDB lists two films that go by the name Ne Change Rien, is that a mistake on their part, or did he really make two films with the same name?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#80 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 am

There are two versions. One is a short film that I believed premiered at Cannes (which you can actually see on YouTube) and the other one is a feature length expanded version that he did a few years later.

knives

#81 Post by knives » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 am

Thanks for that, especially the link, came off as odd.

Edit: damn that opening shot is just perfect, though the whole thing is hypnotic.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#82 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:48 am

I've only seen the short, but a close friend of mine and an acquaintance saw Pedro Costa present it himself sometime last year and that the entire feature length film is just as hypnotic as the feature. No one can make slow and long shots as hypnotic quite the way Pedro Costa does. So many of those simple and beautiful shots of people doing everyday things in In Vanda's Room and the record playing moment from Colossal Youth are just perfect examples of it. I'm very glad Criterion is planning on releasing Ne Change Rien because the short alone is amazing and even without the subtitles, I can almost feel what the music is about in the beautiful blacks of Pedro Costa's miniDV cam.

zedz

#83 Post by zedz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:32 pm

If you think the short is hypnotic, wait till you see the feature! The extra material is lots and lots of recording and rehearsal footage, with Jeanne at times going over the same small phrase dozens of times, so it's even more trance-inducing (if you like it) or tedious (if you don't).

knives

#84 Post by knives » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Let's hope Criterion announces it next week than. The more I find out about the man's films (this was only my second) the more he lives up to his reputation. When did they start announcing the ATP titles last time?

Oedipax

#85 Post by Oedipax » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:15 am

Can we take Criterion's release of Ne change rien as a sort of confirmation that the Fontainhas Trilogy sold well enough? I'm really pleasantly surprised if that's the case.

menthymenthy

#86 Post by menthymenthy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:49 am

According to this, Ne Change Rien was released on DVD (and CD-Rom) set on Friday. No news about subtitles or where exactly it can be found - not through my research at least.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#87 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 am

It's listed at fnac.pt as coming soon with subs in french and portuguese (so far)

Paupau

#88 Post by Paupau » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

It's actually DVD+OST.

Oedipax

#89 Post by Oedipax » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 pm

So uh, not a Criterion release after all?

Harmonov

#90 Post by Harmonov » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:39 am

Pedro Costa will be in residence for a week at the Indiana University Cinema this fall for a retrospective of his films. Should be pretty amazing.

Ovader

#91 Post by Ovader » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Harmonov wrote:Pedro Costa will be in residence for a week at the Indiana University Cinema this fall for a retrospective of his films. Should be pretty amazing.
A reminder it starts this Thursday but not lasting for a whole week.

Calvin

#92 Post by Calvin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Have any of Costa's pre-O Sangue short films been available on DVD? IMDB seems to suggest that there's one called É Tudo Invenção Nossa from 1984, and there's also mention elsewhere of Manel (1984) and Cartas a Júlia (1987).