Hollywood (Kevin Brownlow)

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
SheriffAmbrose

#51 Post by SheriffAmbrose » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:29 am

Jonathan S wrote:I'd love to see Brownlow's two-part documentary on DeMille, made in 2004 and the only one of his more recent docs that is unavailable. With all the DeMille movies on DVD, somebody should have licensed it as an extra.
I saw that when it originally aired and I wish that I could see it again. It was filled with interesting stories (if I recall correctly a man was interviewed whose job it was on the set to follow DeMille around with a chair in case he wanted to sit down) and great film clips. TCM are often guilty of over playing some of their documentaries but I don't recall this one being on too often at all.

MichaelB

#52 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:30 am

SheriffAmbrose wrote:Cinema Europe is well worth checking out. Thankfully I got that while it was still in print as it is being sold for nothing less than $200 on amazon right now.
Really? That's tempting! I must dig out my copy!

Cinema Europe is mostly stunning, though the British episode is a major disappointment: Brownlow seems unfairly prejudiced against British silent cinema, which was a lot more intriguing than he's making out.

Watch it by all means, but Matthew Sweet's Silent Britain should be viewed immediately afterwards as a much-needed corrective.

Sloper

#53 Post by Sloper » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 am

The more recent Brownlow documentaries I've seen - Universal Horror and the one on Lon Chaney are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head - just don't seem anywhere near the standard of his earlier work with David Gill.

I guess one obvious reason for that might be that nearly all the people associated with the Silent era are now dead; the fragments from the 1970s interviews that occasionally turn up in the newer documentaries are usually the most informative bits.

It feels like that blaze of enthusiasm has died down somewhat, and Universal Horror especially seemed to be going through the motions - maybe he's tired, or busy with more important things... Anyway, I shouldn't grumble. Brownlow is God, after all.

filmyfan

Re: Hollywood (Kevin Brownlow, 1980)

#54 Post by filmyfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:11 am

Asch wrote:I They're all there: 13 episodes in what appears to be good quality! Almost 9GB in total! It takes a while (depending on your connection) but is worthwhile the time! You have to go to the following webpage (bittorrent), install the client, seach for the series and register on the appropriate webpages. The download is free, but the series has been uploaded through a private site that requires registration (but no fee!)
Has anyone tried getting "Hollywood" from this site ?

Just wondered how to do it ?

I had a look on the site and had a search but couldnt find any episodes from it...or does one need to download the "Vuze" progams to view it possibly ?

Thanks

bollibasher

#55 Post by bollibasher » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:35 pm

filmyfan wrote:Has anyone tried getting "Hollywood" from this site ?
Just wondered how to do it ?
I had a look on the site and had a search but couldnt find any episodes from it...or does one need to download the "Vuze" progams to view it possibly ?
I haven't tried as have a watchable version already but Vuze (formerly Azureus) is just a torrent programme and network, though you can search main torrent sites with it as well. The link you need is probably this. Register free then use any torrent programme to download.

Chris

Ann Harding

#56 Post by Ann Harding » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37 am

If you want to know everything about the making and shooting of Hollywood, here is the link to the interview I conducted with Kevin Brownlow.

Click here for an English translation of the page.

There are lots of sound bites about Raoul Walsh, Karl Brown, John Wayne and Louise Brooks. Listen to them, they are so funny! :D

ellipsis7

#57 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 am

Brownlow & Gill's HOLLYWOOD was a Thames Television production - a reminder of the golden enlightened age of ITV...

bearcuborg

#58 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 am

Ann Harding

#59 Post by Ann Harding » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Kevin Brownlow is receiving an Honorary Academy Award on November 13th. As a fitting tribute, I have put online the original transcript of the interview I conducted in 2008 with Kevin Brownlow. (an interview originally published in French). You can read part 1: Beginnings and Directing Pictures.

Ann Harding

#60 Post by Ann Harding » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Part 2 about French silent cinema is now online. This era is overlooked due to the paucity of films available on DVD. A great opportunity to learn about some great figures of that era!

Ann Harding

#61 Post by Ann Harding » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am

Part 3 about Napoléon and Abel Gance is now online.

Zazou dans le Metro

#62 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:21 am

Many thanks for these great resources.

Ann Harding

#63 Post by Ann Harding » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:30 am

Glad you enjoyed it! Here is Part 4 about The Parade's Gone By... and Hollywood .

Ann Harding

#64 Post by Ann Harding » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Here is Kevin Brownlow's acceptance speech at the Academy. Great speech!

Ann Harding

Re: Kevin Brownlow

#65 Post by Ann Harding » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 am

Here is the final instalment: part 5 is about Griffith and DeMille .

ellipsis7

Re: Kevin Brownlow

#66 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 am

Great AMPAS speech... Wonder if fellow Academy honorees Brownlow and Coppola took the opportunity to reach some sort of rapprochement over NAPOLEON and the various versions... Probably wishful thinking, I'm afraid...

McCrutchy

Re: Hollywood (Kevin Brownlow)

#67 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:42 am

I would really like to see this documentary. It's a shame the Network release got cancelled.

There is a LD version bid to US $349.95 on eBay right now.

atcolomb

#68 Post by atcolomb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 pm

I do have a laserdisc player and every time i see it on Ebay it easly goes for over $200. Did rent the vhs version from my local library and copy them to my dvd recorder so i guess i should be lucky but i hope one day they will release it on dvd as they did with "Buster Keaton A Hard Act To Follow", "Unknown Chaplin", and "D.W. Griffith Father Of Film".

Dick Laurent

#69 Post by Dick Laurent » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:48 am

If you really want to see it, the first 11 episodes are on youtube.
There are rapidshare links in the comment aswell, I normally don't condone illegal downloads, but in cases like this I think it's acceptable.

SeanAx

#70 Post by SeanAx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 pm

When I met Kevin Brownlow and his producing partner, Patrick Stanbury, as the San Francisco Silent Film Festival in 2010, I asked about releasing "Hollywood" on DVD and they both said that it simply isn't going to happen due to the cost of relicensing all the film clips. While you would think that it would behoove the studios to simply gift the rights to the program as a way of promoting their own libraries, but logic and Hollywood studio thinking just don't go hand in hand.

JAP

#71 Post by JAP » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm

SeanAx wrote:I asked about releasing "Hollywood" on DVD and they both said that it simply isn't going to happen due to the cost of relicensing all the film clips.
Makes you wonder if some intellectual property shouldn't be protected from their rights-owners... ](*,)

atcolomb

#72 Post by atcolomb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Makes you wonder how much the costs of relicensing all the film clips when all the clips are from silent films? I kinda thought the studios and rights owners would be happy to make some money on silent films instead of not releasing their movies to dvd at all. How many of the major studios will release more silent movies to dvd since the dvd market is slowing down?

Ann Harding

#73 Post by Ann Harding » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am

The Parade's Gone By... is getting its first ever French edition. La parade est passée is coming out at the end of October from Acte Sud - Institut Lumière. I am especially proud of this publication as I am the translator. It took a mere 43 years for the book to reach the French speaking public...

atcolomb

#74 Post by atcolomb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

It's nice too see that the early history of Hollywood will be read by other countries and also it's a great book to read. Did see on Ebay that somebody has the VHS tape set of the series "Hollywood" starting at $169..hoping it will end up on dvd one of theses day.... [-o<

atcolomb

#75 Post by atcolomb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:34 pm

I have just noticed that alot of people are now selling the series on Ebay...is there news of a dvd release?