Ukrainian Films on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
TMDaines

Re: Ukrainian Films on DVD

#26 Post by TMDaines » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

The funny thing was that nobody showed much interest in the months after I posted my haul. There was only yourself and one or two others. I then got about six messages in a week at the start of the year.

vertovfan

#27 Post by vertovfan » Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 am

I got stuck in the same place as you a few months ago, swo - they were perfectly willing to send the package, but needed a DHL account number which I was unable to provide. I phoned DHL and found out they won't create an account for an individual, it has to be a business. It sounded like a very involved process involving a credit check and very small chance of success for an individual. I looked into FedEx and UPS as well, to no avail. I'd be most interested to hear if you manage to find a solution, short of a personal vacation to Ukraine!

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 30, 2013 7:14 pm

That would be a real shame if that red tape got in the way of you guys obtaining these sets. I can't imagine a group of people who would make better use of them. Could you not get them to send them to you personally after doing a bank transfer or something to pay for the postage? Is it only me (who got them to sent to a Ukrainian address), L.A. (who picked them in Kiev) and MichaelB (for the illustrious S&S), who have got stuff? Has anyone got them to send stuff outside of Ukraine?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#29 Post by swo17 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm still waiting to hear back from them about other options. I'll post here if I get anywhere with that.

vertovfan

#30 Post by vertovfan » Thu May 30, 2013 10:48 pm

In case it gives you any ideas, here are a couple of the things I tried. At one point the Centre agreed to send the package to a friend of mine at their work, using the company's DHL account, but that fell through when the company didn't want to give away their account number and DHL wouldn't send collect. At another point, they had the package ready for pickup by UPS, but UPS required a bunch of export paperwork (available from a government ministry) which I would have been totally unable to fill out. I asked about sending a money order or bank transfer to the Centre, but they didn't seem very willing. Eventually I simply ran out of ideas and options.

neilist

#31 Post by neilist » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 am

Two Yuri Ilyenko films are showing for free at Cambridge Arts Picturehouse this weekend.

White Bird With A Black Mark (1970) - Friday 8 November 18:30
Well For The Thirsty (1965) - Saturday 9 November 14:30

Free tickets are available from here and major thanks to Cambridge Ukrainian Studies for screening the films.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Both of those films are fantastic--don't miss them!

L.A.

#33 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:43 am

A new DVD release from the Oleksandr Dovzhenko National Centre, Хліб / Bread (1930).

kaleidoscopeworld

#34 Post by kaleidoscopeworld » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 pm

After reading this thread I thought I'd sign up to add my two cents and ask a question ...
I've been in contact with the Dovzhenko Film Centre about getting a copy of the Ukrainian Re-vision DVD set. They are willing to send it to me and will not charge for the DVD set, as long as I pay postage costs. They have quoted me USD40 to cover that, though - ouch! I live in New Zealand so postage from overseas is always expensive, but that's pretty astronomical even so.
It appears that I'm not able to pay by credit card, Paypal, or even a regular bank transfer - the staff member I emailed asked that I pay via Moneygram. The institution doesn't have their own account, so the staff member indicated that I would send her a personal Moneygram transfer. I don't really doubt her honesty, but, hmmm. They really don't make it easy!

What do other forum members think? Did anyone here manage to get a copy of the DVD set direct from DFC and if so, how did you arrange payment?

Secondly - I've also just seen that the DVD-set is apparently on sale here at online shop From Ukraine with Love. Price is UAH300 + UAH99 for worldwide postage (about USD48 according to an online currency converter that I used). I might end up simply buying it here instead, for convenience!
Last edited by kaleidoscopeworld on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vertovfan

#35 Post by vertovfan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

I'd never heard of that online shop. I just placed an order for the Re-Vision set - I'll let you know if everything arrives safely.

Numero Trois

#36 Post by Numero Trois » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Does anyone know if Ukrainian DVDs are available in Russia? Perhaps some Ebay Russia sellers would be able to get some of those titles.

zedz

#37 Post by zedz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:07 pm

kaleidoscopeworld wrote:Secondly - I've also just seen that the DVD-set is apparently on sale here at online shop From Ukraine with Love. Price is UAH300 + UAH99 for worldwide postage (about USD48 according to an online currency converter that I used). I might end up simply buying it here instead, for convenience!
Thanks for the tip. I've placed an order with them, and it took me to a "Verified by Visa" screen with my local bank, so it seems to be legit. In my experience, delivery times from over there can be extremely long, but I'll report back when (if) it arrives.

TMDaines

#38 Post by TMDaines » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Numero Trois wrote:Does anyone know if Ukrainian DVDs are available in Russia? Perhaps some Ebay Russia sellers would be able to get some of those titles.
None of these Dovzhenko studio releases are sold in retail stores. In Ukraine, anyway, there's barely any Ukrainian films sold in media stores. It's all modern Hollywood and Russian shite. Sales assistants have been unable to compute my asking for the Ukrainian cinema section. You occasionally find the odd barebones title and a nice Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors release, but there's no market for these films.

Other than Russia being massive and home to vast amounts of piracy, I'm not sure why you expect to find any significant amount of these in Russia? It's a separate country and, as a whole, couldn't give one iota of a fuck about Ukrainian culture. That's like expecting China to be the bastion of Tibetan culture.

vertovfan

#39 Post by vertovfan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 pm

The Ukrainian Re-Vision set is now showing "out of stock" at the From Ukraine with Love site. Keeping my fingers crossed that I actually receive one.

L.A.

#40 Post by L.A. » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Can anyone fluent in Ukrainian tell us what this is?

perkizitore

#41 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Google Translate says this release is 3 documentaries about the surgeon Nicholas Amosov (1913-2002), to honour the 100th anniversary of his birth.

L.A.

#42 Post by L.A. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Just heard from a friend of mine; he ordered the Ukrainian Re-vision set from From Ukraine with Love webstore and he got it today.

zedz

#43 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:23 pm

I received my set from From Ukraine With Love with the kind of love that normally attracts a restraining order. Box completely smashed, and water damaged, with the book water damaged as well. The book is a big thick bilingual affair and took the brunt of whatever apocalyptic impact the package received, so the discs and their slender cardboard covers were all intact. Since the set is now out of stock at the store and likely to never be available in any other, I'm just glad it arrived at all!

perkizitore

#44 Post by perkizitore » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:33 pm

My set was literally hand-delivered by a Ukrainian and it still arrived with damaged corners, so you shouldn't complain!
Last edited by perkizitore on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twicebilled

#45 Post by twicebilled » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:10 pm

zedz wrote:I received my set from From Ukraine With Love with the kind of love that normally attracts a restraining order. Box completely smashed, and water damaged, with the book water damaged as well. The book is a big thick bilingual affair and took the brunt of whatever apocalyptic impact the package received, so the discs and their slender cardboard covers were all intact. Since the set is now out of stock at the store and likely to never be available in any other, I'm just glad it arrived at all!
The Dovzhenko Centre sent me the set for only the cost of shipping, so you could get yourself another copy that way.

kaleidoscopeworld

#46 Post by kaleidoscopeworld » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:32 am

I ended up buying the boxset from online shop From Ukraine with Love, as it worked out cheaper and easier than getting it directly from Dovzhenko Centre (given the postage cost they quoted me + the money transfer fee, it would have cost me the equivalent of USD57). I also bought from them a copy of ЕНТУЗIЯЗМ | Enthusiasm (Vertov 1930).

It arrived more quickly than I expected - just 8 or 9 days from when the staff member informed me that she had mailed it. Mail from Europe generally takes 2-3 weeks, so I considered that very prompt! Unlike zedz, mine was in good shape. Mildly dented on one corner, but completely fine considering the distance travelled and the fact that it was just wrapped in paper (no box/padding).

It looks great! I'm really happy to get my hands on a copy. Sadly for others, I got the last copy from FUWL. (The woman from Dovzhenko Centre that I was in contact with informed me that FUWL don't have the right to sell the DVD-set, so I doubt the shop will get more stock).

Lastly, I see that Dovzhenko Centre's website now lists a DVD release of ЗЕМЛЯ | Zemlya | Earth (Dovzhenko 1930).

L.A.

#47 Post by L.A. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Шевченко 200

Have no idea what this is but looks interesting.

TMDaines

#48 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:53 am

I'm sure you've google translated it but it's a boxset of six films on the iconic Ukrainian author Taras Shevcheko. One of these was available in the Mykolaychuk boxset.

I'll be trying to get a copy.

L.A.

#49 Post by L.A. » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:46 am

L.A. wrote:Шевченко 200

Have no idea what this is but looks interesting.
Someone from the Dovzhenko Centre emailed regarding the Shevchenko set, no English subtitles this time. :(

L.A.

#50 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:49 am

Щаблі демократії

Too tired to mess with the Google-translator (help from someone who is fluent in Ukrainian is much appreciated) but apparently the set has English subtitles.