Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:11 am

Zombies! Werewolves! Atomic Mutation! Intergalactic Avians! Let this quartet of classic terrors take you back to the golden age of B-Movie Monsters!

A mob boss hires an ex-Nazi scientist to reanimate his dead thugs in Creature with the Atom Brain. An auto-accident survivor is used as an experimental subject to create a vaccine for nuclear fall-out with hair-raising side-effects in The Werewolf. Treasure hunters get more than they bargained for in the search for a cargo of diamonds that went down with a sunken ship when they discover the zombified crew members are guarding the loot in Zombies of Mora Tau. Meanwhile, an enormous bird from outer-space descends to chow down on the people of planet Earth in The Giant Claw!

Four fantastic feature presentations from prolific producer Sam Katzman with a bounty of brand new extras and a raft of new writing by a range of respected raconteurs. These Cold War Creatures are coming for you!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all 4 films
  • Original uncompressed mono audio for all films
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Fully illustrated 60-page collector’s book featuring extensive new writing by Laura Drazin Boyes, Neil Mitchell, Barry Forshaw, Jon Towlson and Jackson Cooper
  • 80-page collector’s art book featuring reproduction stills and artwork from each film and new writing by historian and critic Stephen R. Bissette
  • 2 double-sided posters featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork for each film by Matt Griffin
DISC 1 - CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN
  • Brand-new introduction by historian and critic Kim Newman
  • Brand-new audio commentary by critic Russell Dyball
  • Sam Katzman: Before and Beyond the Cold War Creatures, a brand-new feature-length illustrated presentation on the life, career and films of Sam Katzman by historian and critic Stephen R. Bissette
  • Condensed Super 8mm version of Creature with the Atom Brain, produced for home cinema viewing
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Image Gallery
DISC 2 - THE WEREWOLF
  • Brand-new introduction by critic Kim Newman
  • Brand-new audio commentary by critic Lee Gambin
  • Beyond Window Dressing, a brand-new visual essay exploring the oft-overlooked role of women in the films of Sam Katzman by historian and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
  • Condensed Super 8mm version of The Werewolf, produced for home cinema viewing
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Image Gallery
DISC 3 - THE ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU
  • Brand-new audio commentary by critic Kat Ellinger
  • Atomic Terror: Genre in Transformation, a brand-new visual essay exploring the intersection of mythical horror creatures and the rational world of science in the films of Sam Katzman by critic Josh Hurtado
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Image Gallery
DISC 4 - THE GIANT CLAW
  • Brand-new audio commentary by critics Emma Westwood and Cerise Howard
  • Family Endangered!, a brand-new visual essay examining the theme of Cold War paranoia in Sam Katzman monster movies, by critic Mike White
  • Condensed Super 8mm version of The Giant Claw, produced for home cinema viewing
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Image Gallery

Ribs

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#2 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:39 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:11 am
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:14 am
  • Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman (Limited Edition)
The Giant Claw on Blu-ray, at last!

Sony tend to always get these things right now but in case not, Creature with the Atom Brain should be 1.85:1, unlike how it was presented on the Sony DVD. If Sony are shopping a 1.37:1 master around, Arrow should consider matting it (and I'm confident Bob Furmanek could provide the relevant documentation if needed).
Arrow are listing 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 for the set.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#3 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:49 am

Interesting--two of these are Edward L. Cahn films!

L.A.

Re: Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman

#4 Post by L.A. » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:04 am

FrauBlucher

#5 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:17 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Apparently the U.S. version of this set is already mostly sold out. Amazon still has some in stock but they're full price

Glowingwabbit

#7 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:20 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm
Apparently the U.S. version of this set is already mostly sold out. Amazon still has some in stock but they're full price
Check Hamilton Books for copies. I grabbed this and the Daimajin set from them earlier in the week.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:20 pm

They're now out of the Katzman set

reaky

#9 Post by reaky » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:15 pm

One for UK folk: Zavvi are currently offering this for £35.

bugsy_pal

#10 Post by bugsy_pal » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:43 pm

I bought this recently from Zavvi, thinking it was one of the last of the original version with book and other stuff. I had no idea there were two versions - my bad.

I've had the US Sam Katzman DVD set for years, and watched The Giant Claw about a year ago. I was amazed at the picture quality on that DVD - it looked pristine. I'm looking forward to watching the blurays - I'm sure they'll look sparkling with their encoding. Zombies of Mora Tau is a movie I saw as a small kid and have never forgotten. I'm sure I'll find it cringeworthingly bad.