The Daimajin Trilogy

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

The Daimajin Trilogy

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun May 02, 2021 3:32 pm

THE ANCIENT GOD DAIMAJIN ARISES!

The Daimajin Trilogy saw Daiei’s Kyoto studios bringing its own iconic movie monster to life in a unique but short-lived series that transplants the Golem legend to Japan’s Warring States period of the late-16th century.

In Daimajin, directed by Kimiyoshi Yasuda (Yokai Monsters, Zatoichi on the Road), the young son and daughter of the benevolent feudal lord Hanabusa flee to the mountains when their parents are slain by the treacherous usurper Odate. Ten years later, when the elderly priestess who has harboured them is also murdered, the rage of the slumbering ancient god that lies beneath the crumbling giant stone idol hidden deep in the forests in the mountains is invoked.

In Return of Daimajin, Kenji Misumi (Tale of Zatoichi, Lone Wolf and Cub) brings his usual stylistic flourish, as the wrathful deity is roused from his new home on an island in the middle of a lake by the violent incursions of a vicious warlord.

In the final film, Wrath of Daimajin, by veteran jidaigeki director Kazuo Mori, four young boys make a perilous trip to elicit the help of the ancient mountain god in freeing their family members who have been enslaved by a tyrannical lord.

Remarkably overlooked in the West, these three thrilling tales of feudal oppression and divine retribution meted out by the iconic stone warrior of the title combine lavish period detail with jaw-dropping special effects.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentation of the three Daimajin films
  • Lossless original Japanese and dubbed English mono audio for all films
  • Optional English subtitles - Illustrated collector’s 100 page book featuring new essays by Jonathan Clements, Keith Aiken, Ed Godziszewski, Raffael Coronelli, Erik Homenick, Robin Gatto and Kevin Derendorf
  • Postcards featuring the original Japanese artwork for all three films
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Frank
DISC ONE – DAIMAJIN
  • Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film expert Stuart Galbraith IV
  • Newly filmed introduction by critic Kim Newman
  • Bringing the Avenging God to Life, a brand new exclusive video essay about the special effects of the Daimajin films by Japanese film historian Ed Godziszewski
  • Alternate opening credits for the US release as Majin
  • The Monster of Terror
  • Trailers for the original Japanese and US releases
  • Image gallery
DISC TWO – RETURN OF DAIMAJIN
  • Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film experts Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
  • My Summer Holidays with Daimajin, a newly filmed interview with Professor Yoneo Ota, director of the Toy Film Museum, Kyoto Film Art Culture Research Institute, about the production of the Daimajin films at Daiei Kyoto
  • From Storyboard to Screen: Bringing Return of Daimajin to Life, a comparison of several key scenes in Return of Daimajin with the original storyboards
  • Alternate opening credits for the US release as Return of the Giant Majin
  • Trailers for the original Japanese and US releases
  • Image gallery
DISC THREE – WRATH OF DAIMAJIN
  • Brand new audio commentary by Asian historian Jonathan Clements
  • Interview with cinematographer Fujio Morita discussing his career at Daiei and his work on the Daimajin Trilogy
  • Trailers for the original Japanese release
  • Image Gallery

Big Ben

Re: The Daimajin Trilogy

#2 Post by Big Ben » Sun May 02, 2021 3:42 pm

I would argue that these aren't as amusing as the Godzilla and other kaiju films that came from Toho but if you're down for a giant statue absolutely wrecking shit this will absolutely be your jam.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun May 02, 2021 3:46 pm

I saw one of these -- badly dubbed, on a small black and white portable TV in the 70s (during the period after I had sworn off Japanese movies due to Rashomon allergy). It was interesting enough to watch all the way through -- but seeing in Japanese, widescreen color it was unrecognizable (in the early 2000s).

Orlac

#4 Post by Orlac » Sun May 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:46 pm
I saw one of these -- badly dubbed, on a small black and white portable TV in the 70s (during the period after I had sworn off Japanese movies due to Rashomon allergy). It was interesting enough to watch all the way through -- but seeing in Japanese, widescreen color it was unrecognizable (in the early 2000s).
"Come on, Homer, Japan will be fun! You liked Rashomon."
"That's not how I remember it."

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#5 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun May 02, 2021 5:46 pm

My wife wanted to watch Rashomon -- and she has forgotten even seeing it way back then. I, however, was permanently scarred. This experience ensured that I wouldn't tackle anything in Japanese again for over 20 years. My attitude only began to crack when I discovered Sondheim (and Pacific Overtures). ;-)

J Wilson

#6 Post by J Wilson » Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 am

Big Ben wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:42 pm
I would argue that these aren't as amusing as the Godzilla and other kaiju films that came from Toho but if you're down for a giant statue absolutely wrecking shit this will absolutely be your jam.
They seem to be deliberately anti-amusement, as the stories leading up to Majin wrecking shit are pretty steeped in cruelty and misery, all to heighten people's taste for carnage.

TheRanchHand

#7 Post by TheRanchHand » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:18 pm

I love these films and have since I saw them as an eleven year old. Though the more "fun" kaiju films may be your bag, there are some very unique uses of FX in these that make some shots the most effective in kaiju history. There is a Japanese set coming out in September in 4K but no subs and is around $200.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:37 pm

These struck me as being as serious as the original Gojira film and Kaneko's neo-Gamera Trilogy (which seem to be about the most serious of the kaiju films).

TheRanchHand

#9 Post by TheRanchHand » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:03 pm

Yes, in fact can be argued even more so. All three follow a very similar narrative (maybe too similar) that is about 2/3rds samurai drama and 1/3rd final act of kaiju terror. But as a kid (and even as an adult) some visual design of the shots that make the stone god look massive and menacing were more effective and frightening than any other Japanese giant monster film you are likely to see. And some of that is the facial acting of the monster Hashimoto (who has already made an appearance in the Criterion Collection in Fist of Fury (1972)).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Apparently at least the U.S. version of this set is mostly sold out at this point. Hamilton Book still has some copies available for $70 though