Crash

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

JamesF

Re: Crash

#176 Post by JamesF » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Zavvi is incorrect - the UHD does not come with a Blu-Ray disc, and all the extras are on the same disc as the feature.

flyonthewall2983

#177 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Bought this on eBay, for 75 bucks. I could probably get it a tiny bit cheaper in either Canada or internationally (the guy I bought it from is from Chicago), but I'm not entirely trustful of worldwide shipping being so reliable now.

bluesforyou

#178 Post by bluesforyou » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:08 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:56 pm
Bought this on eBay, for 75 bucks. I could probably get it a tiny bit cheaper in either Canada or internationally (the guy I bought it from is from Chicago), but I'm not entirely trustful of worldwide shipping being so reliable now.
Haven't had a problem with international shipping recently, not even from Zavvi. Ordering from Arrow's website is the safest bet. Although price wise you will end up around the same.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#179 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:51 pm

I haven't had any problems with orders directly from the labels—I received my order from the recent Arrow sale with no issues, and two orders from Powerhouse/Indicator over the last few months—but an Amazon UK order from early November has been supposedly stuck in customs in New York for almost a month, and Amazon itself has it flagged as "possibly lost" and suggested I request a refund. Since one of the items in the order is no longer obtainable, I'm going to wait until after the holiday to check with USPS and hope it still turns up, but the experience has soured me on Amazon UK's international shipping. I ordered the Arrow Crash and King of New York UHDs through DiabolikDVD and received them last week shortly after they shipped, so I might stick to them for future Arrow UHDs since it comes out cheaper than the Arrow store.

flyonthewall2983

#180 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:45 am

My copy arrived a couple days ago. I hadn't seen it in a long time, and seeing it in such vivid detail brought a new resonance beyond the memory of first seeing it. At the risk of maybe revealing too much personally, I feel it is somewhat empowering to watch the characters overcome their traumas by embracing them. Someone on Letterboxd called it his zombie movie, which I'll admit I had a good chuckle at. But along the way here is genuine connection made, and I felt the sense that Spader and Unger's character's marriage became deeper as such too.

I'm about halfway through the extras. The interview with Howard Shore was really enlightening as to his approach. It's such an obtuse score, but fits so well with what could be seen as an obtuse narrative (at least compared with Hollywood). The casting director's interview was nice too, especially at the point where she'll admit being a bit squeamish at Cronenberg's work. Not sure I'll get into the short films and such yet, but perhaps will at some later point. I'm fairly new to Arrow's stuff, but I'll state the obvious here and say this definitely gives what Criterion put out a run for it's money.

therewillbeblus

#181 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:16 am

Don't bother with the two Cronenberg shorts, which are incredibly painful to sit through even at just under 4 and 10 minutes, respectively. The transfer is outstanding though, and the booklet is strong, with an especially great opening essay and informative interview. I'm looking forward to the Adrian Martin commentary and hopefully the other three shorts will fare better (they can't possibly be any worse, at least)

Robin Davies

#182 Post by Robin Davies » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:12 am

Harley Cokeliss' BBC film is excellent and it's great to have it on disc at last. Nightmare Angel is a film I never thought I would see. The review in Video Watchdog gave the impression that it was a real rarity and unlikely to get an official release. I was struck by how similar it was to Cronenberg's movie. I wonder if he saw it?
This whole release is a delight and I'd give it the edge over the Criterion release.

therewillbeblus

#183 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:03 pm

While I hated Always (crashing), I agree that Nightmare Angel was a very cool inclusion, I also enjoyed Harley Cokeliss' BBC film, whose voiceover lines are referenced a lot in the other parts of the booklet and integral to what Ballard's ideas were going into addressing this topic. I also really enjoyed the short essay in the booklet that mentioned the history of his inspiration, including the wild and quite alarming events around a car art exhibit!

It's no surprise that Adrian Martin's commentary is a terrific track -right from the first scene he's introducing novel observations still in step with, and expanding on, familiar analyses on the film. Highly recommended.