Donnie Darko

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

jesus the mexican boi

Donnie Darko

#1 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu May 11, 2006 1:48 pm

I WANT YOU TO WATCH THE MOVIE SCREEN. THERE S SOMETHING I WANT TO SHOW YOU.

Fifteen years before Stranger Things combined science-fiction, Spielberg-ian touches and 80s nostalgia to much acclaim, Richard Kelly set the template and the high-water mark with his debut feature, Donnie Darko. Initially beset with distribution problems, it would slowly find its audience and emerge as arguably the first cult classic of the new millennium.

Donnie is a troubled high school student: in therapy, prone to sleepwalking and in possession of an imaginary friend, a six-foot rabbit named Frank, who tells him the world is going to end in 28 days 06 hours 42 minutes and 12 seconds. During that time he will navigate teenage life, narrowly avoid death in the form of a falling jet engine, follow Frank s maladjusted instructions and try to maintain the space-time continuum.

Described by its director as The Catcher in the Rye as told by Philip K. Dick , Donnie Darko combines an eye-catching, eclectic cast pre-stardom Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, heartthrob Patrick Swayze, former child star Drew Barrymore, Oscar nominees Mary McDonnell and Katherine Ross, and television favourite Noah Wyle and an evocative soundtrack of 80s classics by Echo and the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears and Duran Duran. This brand-new 4K restoration, carried out exclusively for this release by Arrow Films, allows a modern classic to finally receive the home video treatment it deserves.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts
Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director s Cut
Brand-new interviews with Richard Kelly and others
The Goodbye Place, Kelly s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster
Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
Storyboard comparisons
B-roll footage
Cunning Visions infomercials
Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules
Galleries
Trailers
TV spots
Exclusive collector s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

The Invunche

#2 Post by The Invunche » Thu May 11, 2006 2:10 pm

This is kinda weird...

‘Darko' Director Investigated Over 'Terrorism Links'
WENN

Donnie Darko director Richard Kelly could be forced to miss the Cannes Film Festival because his passport is being reviewed by the U.S. Government.

Homeland Security is investigating 31-year-old Kelly, reportedly because there is a James Kelly on the terrorist watch list.

Fearing he will be unable to attend the premiere of his new movie Southland Tales at Cannes later this month, Kelly has contacted a senator and has recruited his mother to hunt out documents to help him prove his American citizenship.

The Virginia-born writer/director fears the issue could be connected to the plot of his new movie, which is in part about security measures taken by the U.S. Government following 9/11.

He says, ""The paranoid conspiracy freak inside me is starting to think this has something to do with the film.""
It's not weird, it's scary. The guys supposed to protect Americans can't distinguish between "Richard Kelly" and "James Kelly". You have to wonder about the competence of these people.

jesus the mexican boi

#3 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu May 11, 2006 4:08 pm

The Invunche wrote:It's not weird, it's scary. The guys supposed to protect Americans can't distinguish between "Richard Kelly" and "James Kelly". You have to wonder about the competence of these people.
Yeah, I shoulda put "kinda weird" in quotes. Because it IS scary. It's downright banging-yr-head-against-the-wall-This-Isn't-My-America "kinda weird."

The Invunche

#4 Post by The Invunche » Thu May 11, 2006 4:34 pm

What would happen if a "Smith" got on the list?

pemmican

#5 Post by pemmican » Thu May 11, 2006 5:15 pm

Heh. Here's a story: I had a student in my ESL class (in Vancouver, BC) from Saudi Arabia. A relative of his, with the same last name, was on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC. (He explained, "We have a very large family..."). His intention, after finishing my class, was to go to the US to study. I often wonder how that's working for him... I bet his family has more money than Richard Kelly's.

Didn't really care for the director's cut. It spells things out too clearly, makes it too easy on the audience. Some of the added scenes are brilliant but overall I ended up liking the first version better, much to my surprise...

A.

blindside8zao

#6 Post by blindside8zao » Fri May 12, 2006 2:03 am

the additions don't seem to fit into it. It may have been because I was emotionally attached to the first one (please don't make fun). Even if it had improved, it might still just seem weird because of the way you've come to know something.

richast2

#7 Post by richast2 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:47 am

I enjoyed the ambiguity of everything in the original version. I felt that the "director's cut" was seriously dumbed down.

Fletch F. Fletch

#8 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri May 12, 2006 12:58 pm

I too prefer the theatrical version over the Director's Cut. He really didn't need to spice up the special effects or put in the deleted scenes... which I don't feel spell things out anymore but rather flesh out some of the characters and the relationships between them a little more. I don't think it hurts the film overall just unnecessary.

Ribs

Re: Donnie Darko

#9 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:15 am

This is a weirdly very, very high profile title I'm very surprised Arrow is putting out in December.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:33 am

Comparing this to Stranger Things is less than convincing, though it is further indication of the extreme instantaneous popularity of the Netflix series. Though this too was quite popular with my age group for a couple years after it came out, but its cult status didn't seem to last very long

rapta

#11 Post by rapta » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:14 pm

This film was particularly huge in my household. I have the Metrodome release but admittedly never actually watched it (was one of my first buys, I think in the Play.com closedown sale). Will be selling it ASAP and getting this one since it's a 4K remaster crammed with extras - I wanted to watch it again soon anyway!

Obviously this is a surprise though. Being arguably Metrodome's biggest and most profitable title, I'm surprised to see Arrow release it so soon. Very impressed by their swiftness - I can see this being a strong seller for them, much like Battle Royale, to give one example.

I wonder if they have any other Metrodome titles? Fingers crossed for Slacker (Linklater) and Chopper (Dominik).

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:14 am

I remember having a weird experience with Donnie Darko in the way that it came to the UK quite late on, so late that I had imported the DVD from the US months before its official UK theatrical release in late 2002. It was very strange to then be on the other side of the discovery process and see the film build up a big cult/mainstream crossover success over the next few years, to such an extent that when it got released as a single in 2003 Mad World became the UK's Christmas number 1 single! Its remained a surprisingly big title in the UK at least.

I really like the film, particularly for the family dynamics. I love the early argument scene between Donnie and his mother, with a grumbled "Bitch" at the mother loud enough for her to hear as she leaves, with her shutting the door wordlessly and a cut back to Donnie looking a little ashamed, and then the conversation between the parents ("You're bitchin' but not a bitch"). Those are moments that didn't need to be in the film, but one of many that adds a lot of life to the characters. The whole plot of mysterious time twisting apocalyptic events is really a big McGuffin for the sensitive portrait of a family and their wider community (perhaps as much an influence on the recent Life Is Strange videogame as Twin Peaks), and thats where this film is at its most powerful, to the extent that I think the director's cut with all of its pages of time travel philosophy interpersed throughout it is a bit unnecessary and damages the pure trip back to 80s nostalgia (when that was relatively new and not an overused idea).

Yet I am glad for this edition gathering together the director's and theatrical cut and all the various extras together into one place for the first time (plus the infomercials!). Also, while I much prefer the theatrical cut, the director's cut is valuable for showing the 'conspiracy theory' wild embellishment of a simple story area that Richard Kelly was moving into more insistently with Southland Tales and The Box.

Also I love the casting of this film: I've never really seen Noah Wyle outside of this and his role in E.R. but he makes a very strong impression in his scenes, it has a very early role for Seth Rogan as one of the school bullies, and I've never really seen Drew Barrymore in a better part (one which is a bit anticipatory of Cameron Diaz's teacher role in The Box - sensitive but powerless to help her students. I seem to remember Richard Kelly saying that the Diaz role in The Box in particular was a bit inspired by his mother). Its also good to see James Duval (a key early Gregg Araki actor, particularly in the other adolescent end of days film The Doom Generation) in the bunny suit! But the first time I saw it I remember most responding to seeing Katharine Ross in a big film again, playing Donnie's psychiatrist!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emilio

#13 Post by Emilio » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 am

Certainly an intriguing film. One I've enjoyed several times, 35mm, DVD, BR.

I do wonder about this 4K remaster. This was a lowbudget production shot on lowcontrast stock (if I'm not mistaken). The DVD/BR's I've seen replicate the look of the 35mm fairly well. I'm not sure how much we can expect from this new transfer. Love to be wrong though.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#14 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Considering it seems this is an in-house restoration by Arrow, I think the odds are better than average that this will be the definitive technical home video presentation of the film.

Professor Wagstaff

#15 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Saw Donnie Darko at a screening last night where Richard Kelly was in attendance. Sadly it was not the 4K restoration, though he did remark at the Q&A afterward that he had trouble watching the soft picture now that he's seen how much better the image looks thanks to the new scan. I should hope so because the digital version they showed looked rough.

He did not mention who might distribute a new scan in the US, though he mentioned it might receive a theatrical re-release closer to Christmas.

Orlac

#16 Post by Orlac » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm

What is exclusive to the Limited Edition?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#17 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Elaborate packaging
Thicker book with additional content (writings by Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials)
BD content replicated on a DVD

Orlac

#18 Post by Orlac » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Ah, no rush then. thanks!

rapta

#19 Post by rapta » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:19 am

swo17 wrote:Elaborate packaging
Thicker book with additional content (writings by Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials)
BD content replicated on a DVD
Somebody has asked Arrow a couple of times on Facebook and they've also mentioned a poster and art cards too, for what it's worth.

Emilio

#20 Post by Emilio » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 am

Ok, Arrow, I am impressed, will have to buy this title for the third time:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9554&d ... =2&l=0&a=1

Luke M

#21 Post by Luke M » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:32 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I remember having a weird experience with Donnie Darko in the way that it came to the UK quite late on, so late that I had imported the DVD from the US months before its official UK theatrical release in late 2002. It was very strange to then be on the other side of the discovery process and see the film build up a big cult/mainstream crossover success over the next few years, to such an extent that when it got released as a single in 2003 Mad World became the UK's Christmas number 1 single! Its remained a surprisingly big title in the UK at least.

I really like the film, particularly for the family dynamics. I love the early argument scene between Donnie and his mother, with a grumbled "Bitch" at the mother loud enough for her to hear as she leaves, with her shutting the door wordlessly and a cut back to Donnie looking a little ashamed, and then the conversation between the parents ("You're bitchin' but not a bitch"). Those are moments that didn't need to be in the film, but one of many that adds a lot of life to the characters. The whole plot of mysterious time twisting apocalyptic events is really a big McGuffin for the sensitive portrait of a family and their wider community (perhaps as much an influence on the recent Life Is Strange videogame as Twin Peaks), and thats where this film is at its most powerful, to the extent that I think the director's cut with all of its pages of time travel philosophy interpersed throughout it is a bit unnecessary and damages the pure trip back to 80s nostalgia (when that was relatively new and not an overused idea).

Yet I am glad for this edition gathering together the director's and theatrical cut and all the various extras together into one place for the first time (plus the infomercials!). Also, while I much prefer the theatrical cut, the director's cut is valuable for showing the 'conspiracy theory' wild embellishment of a simple story area that Richard Kelly was moving into more insistently with Southland Tales and The Box.

Also I love the casting of this film: I've never really seen Noah Wyle outside of this and his role in E.R. but he makes a very strong impression in his scenes, it has a very early role for Seth Rogan as one of the school bullies, and I've never really seen Drew Barrymore in a better part (one which is a bit anticipatory of Cameron Diaz's teacher role in The Box - sensitive but powerless to help her students. I seem to remember Richard Kelly saying that the Diaz role in The Box in particular was a bit inspired by his mother). Its also good to see James Duval (a key early Greg Araki actor, particularly in the other adolescent end of days film The Doom Generation) in the bunny suit! But the first time I saw it I remember most responding to seeing Katharine Ross in a big film again, playing Donnie's psychiatrist!
It's interesting you connected with the family dynamics rather than the time travel aspect. I think that kind of success with the family story was almost a mistake or an afterthought considering what Kelly did with the director's cut and his films that came out after. It's not often I've been drawn to films for reasons the director did not intend.

I never connected with this film and for a while I criticized it harshly to anyone who expressed positive comments on it. Now I could honestly careless. Donnie Darko is not the hill I'm going to die on. But I am interested in revisiting the film moreso on the merits of its family drama framework.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#22 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:57 pm

I always remembered the movie more the family and friends interaction rather than the time-travel plot, and thought for a long time (I watched recently the movie again through the Arrow release but the last time I watched it was something like 10 years ago) that I was mistaken somehow, and that it should be the other way around.

However, re-watching it, I pretty felt the same than colinr : the interactions between the family and the friends at school felt much more interesting and deep than the overall time-travel plot, which felt indeed just like a gimmicky frame than anything else.

I also didn't remember at all that Seth Rogen was in there.

colinr0380

#23 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Spoilers:

I think Kelly's seeming preoccupation with the time travel paranoia stuff is actually one of those things that makes me like the film a bit more than if 'family and small town dynamics' were placed entirely front and centre. That really lets the story blindside us with the return back to another timeline without Donnie. The world is 'saved' by Donnie's sacrifice, but its not an 'everything is put to rights' kind of ending as there is still an unavoidable tragedy occurring. There is just perhaps a sense of a different future ahead for everyone from the girl who just moved in that Donnie will never meet (or eventually endanger), to Patrick Swayze's character back under cover with all of his dark secrets still securely hidden away. I still very much like that montage under Mad World of everyone waking, troubled by some sense of tragedy very moving, almost as if Donnie's death let everyone else wake up from a strange dream, but with fading waking memories of what they all shared.

I could imagine another version of this story where its all about massive moments of reconciliation between the family that then gets tragically lost with the closing down of the alternate reality. Here its not quite that, more that the world goes on, and perhaps has more of a future without one of its main characters (maybe that's a sense of comfort for Donnie himself at the end, that everyone will get past this and move on without him). But that makes those tiny moments which are lost with the closing of this alternate timeline even more valuable as belonging to Donnie (almost created only because of him. It could be seen as quite solipsistic and adolescent in the sense that the universe truly does revolve around him in this story. Though I also think its in the tradition of It's A Wonderful Life in some ways too, just with religion and Christmas angels replaced with 80s pop culture nostalgia and Easter bunnies!), and in a larger sense to the film itself. The film itself is its own little complete jewel of a universe. (Something which Southland Tales took a little further by both expanding its scope much, much wider whilst also creating an alternate universe that doesn't even have those pre- and post- the accident bookends showing the 'normality' that Donnie Darko has. Instead in Southland Tales when the universe dies, the film immediately goes with it too).
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djproject

#24 Post by djproject » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:12 pm

colinr0380 wrote:I could imagine another version of this story where its all about massive moments of reconciliation between the family that then gets tragically lost with the closing down of the alternate reality. Here its not quite that, more that the world goes on, and perhaps has more of a future without one of its main characters (maybe that's a sense of comfort for Donnie himself at the end, that everyone will get past this and move on without him). But that makes those tiny moments which are lost with the closing of this alternate timeline even more valuable as belonging to Donnie (almost created only because of him. It could be seen as quite solipsistic and adolescent in the sense that the universe truly does revolve around him in this story. Though I also think its in the tradition of It's A Wonderful Life in some ways too, just with religion and Christmas angels replaced with 80s pop culture nostalgia and Easter bunnies!), and in a larger sense to the film itself. The film itself is its own little complete jewel of a universe. (Something which Southland Tales took a little further by both expanding its scope much, much wider whilst also creating an alternate universe that doesn't even have those pre- and post- the accident bookends showing the 'normality' that Donnie Darko has).
There's a reason why The Last Temptation of Christ was on the marquee.

colinr0380

#25 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm

There's certainly a good essay just waiting to be written on "The Interdependent Importance of Conspiracy Theories and Religion in Richard Kelly Films"! :wink: