The Woody Allen Collections

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Woody Allen Collections

#51 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 pm

swo17 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Ribs wrote:When he gets to 50 movies do we do a Woody Allen lists project?
That's actually a great idea for a mini-list!
There are probably quite a few directors that would be good candidates for such a thing though my preference would be to prioritize those that are no longer active filmmakers.
Hitchcock is the natural first one that came to mind in addition to Allen. Huge and widely distributed filmographies for both

rapta

#52 Post by rapta » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Was pleasantly surprised by this announcement earlier, and even more so when I heard the remaining films (i.e. everything other than Annie Hall and Manhattan) were getting standalone releases too.

Not sure I'll be able to afford any of the box sets - if I bought one, I'd want to get the other two as well - but the books do sound like they'll be well worth the purchase. However, I'll most likely be buying the standalone releases one-by-one, as some of them are more loved than others (for example, I will buy Bananas but Sleeper takes priority).

Thought it was only a matter of time before a UK label picked these up - and I thought a box set was most likely, since there will be no digital extras of any kind - and glad to see it was one of the best!

StevenJ0001

#53 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:03 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Ribs wrote:What's the situation with his later 90's stuff? I know there's a German release but are they with rights holders that would be willing to license it out for BD release in the UK or US?
I have all the Danish (I think, or is it Norway?) Blus of the Miramax and Dreamworks titles and I'm pretty sure they're region free. All are obvious improvements on the crummy DVDs. I got mine direct from DaaVeeDee
You don't by any chance have the Spanish Blu of Bullets over Broadway listed on DaaVeeDee do you?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Just checked and my edition is the Danish edition put out by Atlantic, which I guess DaaVeeDee doesn't sell anymore

StevenJ0001

#55 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:Just checked and my edition is the Danish edition put out by Atlantic, which I guess DaaVeeDee doesn't sell anymore
OK, thanks for checking. Looks like I have a choice of Danish, German, and Spanish releases on eBay--I guess I'll just draw my choice out of a hat! [-o<

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:57 am

Discussion of how best to take advantage of Britain in its darkest hour moved here

Meglos2000

#57 Post by Meglos2000 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:04 am

Does anyone know if this Woody Allen boxset will use the same masters as the Twilight ones? Or are they made especially for this project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:04 am

Same masters, Arrow encodes.

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 am

I'm sorry to get everyone's hopes up, but it has just transpired that while Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex will be authored and subtitled in accordance with Arrow's own specifications, it seems that the contract only allows for the inclusion of the existing MGM discs of Annie Hall and Manhattan in the box sets, not an Arrow re-encode.

I'm as gutted about this as you are, as is everyone at Arrow.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:04 am

That sucks but better they're included like this rather than not at all

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#61 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:39 am

I can't imagine Manhattan looking any better than it already does, but it's a shame they won't be able to fix the subs on Annie Hall.

Why can't we have nice things?

Ribs

#62 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:42 am

Good sign for the set being region-free though.

MichaelB

#63 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 am

Ribs wrote:Good sign for the set being region-free though.
All the Arrow-authored discs will be Region B, as a contractual obligation.

However MGM chooses to encode their own discs is up to them, as they own the materials outright, but there are only two MGM-authored discs in the package.

Roger Ryan

#64 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:01 pm

swo17 wrote:I can't imagine Manhattan looking any better than it already does, but it's a shame they won't be able to fix the subs on Annie Hall.

Why can't we have nice things?
There's also the audio sync issue on Annie Hall that affects the opening monologue and, less noticeably, a couple of other scenes (although this problem may be player-specific).

StevenJ0001

#65 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Well this is a real bummer. :x

I don't blame Arrow, of course, and I'll still (probably) buy the set, but my enthusiasm is considerably dampened.

Whoever is responsible for refusing to let this be corrected should be ashamed of themselves. This is (for what it's worth) an Oscar Best Picture winner and an acknowledged classic, and yet it's continually being presented with major flaws that undercut some of the best moments in the movie. [-X

It's a shame Woody doesn't keep an eye on what happens to his films on home media.

I'm close to giving up on ever getting a decent version of the film to watch at home. I presume the iTunes version is similarly botched? Subtitles always seem to behave weirdly on iTunes for me anyway.
Last edited by StevenJ0001 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#66 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Could Arrow notify MGM that there was a mistake on the previous master, one that can be corrected with a minimal change in the master (no re-scanning necessary, etc.) and if they could be allowed to correct it themselves? I was under the impression that they've been pretty good about that sort of thing in the past. (The Ingmar Bergman set, I think the original Red River DVD, etc.)

Aunt Peg

#67 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 pm

I'll purchase Everything About Sex & Interiors. Already have Sleepers, Love & Death, Annie Hall & Manhattan and those discs are fine. Never really cared for Bananas, maybe I might give it another go.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Woody Allen: Six Films 1971-1978

#68 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sweet, only half of these are out in the states on Blu already and those will be easily resellable (the TT will prob pay for half of the set alone!)
And just like that, I was already able to sell these three titles for about $37 after shipping and seller fees.

criterion10

Re: Woody Allen: Six Films 1971-1978

#69 Post by criterion10 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:44 pm

swo17 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Sweet, only half of these are out in the states on Blu already and those will be easily resellable (the TT will prob pay for half of the set alone!)
And just like that, I was already able to sell these three titles for about $37 after shipping and seller fees.
Just out of curiosity, where online did you sell these? (I have a few Allen's to get rid of myself)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#70 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:46 pm

All on Amazon Marketplace

criterion10

#71 Post by criterion10 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:56 pm

Damn, I tried setting up an account on there once, and I believe you have to pay a monthly fee, or something else complicated/inconvenient. I suppose I'll just take my chances on Ebay and hope for the best.

PfR73

#72 Post by PfR73 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Michael,
About the restrictions on extras: Twilight Time have been able to include isolated scores on their Allen releases, would Arrow be able to do the same?

Roger Ryan

#73 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 am

There's also the audio sync issue on Annie Hall that affects the opening monologue and, less noticeably, a couple of other scenes (although this problem may be player-specific).
For what it's worth, I tried playing the current MGM Blu of the film with the "1080/24p" option turned off on my Sony player (rendering the output as "1080/60p") and the audio was in-sync throughout. A compromise to be sure, but if anyone is experiencing a similar problem with the current disc (or the forthcoming Arrow release), then this might help.

Ribs

#74 Post by Ribs » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 am

ImageImage

Seems they're going for the original poster art.

criterion10

#75 Post by criterion10 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Has there been any word yet on whether or not these box sets will be limited?