The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Re: The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

#176 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 pm

It would be nice if the new stuff volume was #2, so we could have a set labeled “the Fassbinder Collection” and a different set after it still labeled “Fassbinder Collection 2” albeit w a different Arrow logo and totally different design.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#177 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:06 am

Ribs wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:53 pm
It would be nice if the new stuff volume was #2, so we could have a set labeled “the Fassbinder Collection” and a different set after it still labeled “Fassbinder Collection 2” albeit w a different Arrow logo and totally different design.
Nope, it's just the rest of the original set:

Glowingwabbit

#178 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 am

I guess I'm happy they didn't mix and match so Vol 3 will just be new titles. But I also hate to have a Vol 3 set on my shelf with no 1 & 2, but that's a me problem.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#179 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 am

I may try to sell my original set and get these new ones because I really like the new cover design

Glowingwabbit

#180 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:41 am

swo17 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 am
I may try to sell my original set and get these new ones because I really like the new cover design
I was thinking that too because I love the new design as well. I was hesitant after just the first box, but now that I know for sure all the titles are available again.

I could always make photocopies of the book for stuff that didn't transfer.

R0lf

#181 Post by R0lf » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:37 pm

I like the artwork better for these sets but I wouldn’t trade out the original if it’s just going to be a paper slip like all the rest of the recent Arrow repacks.

TMDaines

#182 Post by TMDaines » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:22 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 am
I guess I'm happy they didn't mix and match so Vol 3 will just be new titles. But I also hate to have a Vol 3 set on my shelf with no 1 & 2, but that's a me problem.
It won't even say Vol 3 on the spine, I don't think. You can just take the belly band off.

neilist

#183 Post by neilist » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Arrow's just shared an image on social media including vol 3...

'Gods Of The Plague'
'The American Soldier'
'The Niklashausen Journey'
'Rio Das Mortes'
'Mother Kusters Goes To Heaven'
'Fear Of Fear'
'Satan's Brew'
Last edited by neilist on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#184 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Cool, I think that covers everything that was in the initial DVD sets

Calvin

#185 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:24 pm

I had hoped that Arrow would do Nora Helmer or another one of the hard-to-find TV movies, but this series will at least round up all of the Fassbinder Foundation-owned titles with the exception of Whity and Pioneers in Ingolstadt (and Wildweschel, but I suspect that's going to be collecting dust for decades to come).

senseabove

#186 Post by senseabove » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Dang, was really hoping Whity would be in there.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#187 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm

Any info on the release date for Vol. 3?

Glowingwabbit

#188 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Rayon Vert wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm
Any info on the release date for Vol. 3?
It's not listed yet. Probably early 2022

TMDaines

The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

#189 Post by TMDaines » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:27 pm

These are all new to Blu-ray from Arrow, right? Starting to lose track. I’ll definitely be buying this, but wondering whether a 4th volume will be coming? There’s a lot of other titles that have has Blu-ray releases abroad but not in the UK.

Glowingwabbit

#190 Post by Glowingwabbit » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:46 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:27 pm
These are all new to Blu-ray from Arrow, right? Starting to lose track. I’ll definitely be buying this, but wondering whether a 4th volume will be coming? There’s a lot of other titles that have has Blu-ray releases abroad but not in the UK.
Yes. But these were all released on DVD from Arrow so I'm not sure if a Volume 4 is coming as this finishes off those two DVD boxsets.

senseabove

#191 Post by senseabove » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:02 pm

I can't find the tweet, but I believe the designer of these box sets said there would be three, and Fran Simeoni saying "The new restos will be released in a latter collection" implies there will only be one additional box.

R0lf

#192 Post by R0lf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:22 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:27 pm
Studio Canal announced they were doing a box at the same time they released LOLA on blu ray but then never followed through. They’ve also been sitting on the second half of those Almodovar restorations for years.

zedz

#193 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:02 pm

Calvin wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:24 pm
I had hoped that Arrow would do Nora Helmer or another one of the hard-to-find TV movies, but this series will at least round up all of the Fassbinder Foundation-owned titles with the exception of Whity and Pioneers in Ingolstadt (and Wildweschel, but I suspect that's going to be collecting dust for decades to come).
Those two seem to have long been isolated from the other Fassbinders in some odd way, going back to the original US DVD releases, split between Wellspring and Fantoma. The two other old Fantoma titles, Martha and In a Year of 13 Moons, also seem to be in the same basket.

Perhaps if those four films are all tied up in the same way they could eventually become a Volume Four.

The video-shot films (The Coffee House, Bremen Freedom and Nora Helmer) will never look great, but they'd make wonderful "as is, where is" supplements.

ryannichols7

#194 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:40 am

one day Lili Marleen will see the light of day on bluray. somewhere on this earth

joshua

#195 Post by joshua » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:20 am

zedz wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:02 pm
Calvin wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:24 pm
Those two seem to have long been isolated from the other Fassbinders in some odd way, going back to the original US DVD releases, split between Wellspring and Fantoma. The two other old Fantoma titles, Martha and In a Year of 13 Moons, also seem to be in the same basket.

Perhaps if those four films are all tied up in the same way they could eventually become a Volume Four.
Are Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? and The Third Generation in the same situation or are there a different set of issues with those?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#196 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:24 am

Whity and Pioneers are with the Fassbinder Foundation according to their website, but Herr R., Martha, In a Year of 13 Moons, and The Third Generation are with Kinowelt, which is now under Studiocanal. The site also states that The Coffeehouse is with the Foundation, but no distributors or rightsholders are listed at all for Nora Helmer and Bremen Freedom, which makes me wonder if there's a dispute around those or if nobody actually knows who has the rights.

What A Disgrace

#197 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:30 pm

It seems volume 3 will either be announced as a February title, or will be a late addition to the January slate.

R0lf

#198 Post by R0lf » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:26 pm

So if Canal simply upgrade all their UK DVD titles the blu ray set they announced but then never released would include:

Lola
Martha
Why Does Herr R Run Amok
I Don’t Just Want You To Love Me
Veronika Voss
In A Year of Thirteen Moons
The Third Generation
Germany In Autumn

Calvin

#199 Post by Calvin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:39 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:24 am
Whity and Pioneers are with the Fassbinder Foundation according to their website, but Herr R., Martha, In a Year of 13 Moons, and The Third Generation are with Kinowelt, which is now under Studiocanal. The site also states that The Coffeehouse is with the Foundation, but no distributors or rightsholders are listed at all for Nora Helmer and Bremen Freedom, which makes me wonder if there's a dispute around those or if nobody actually knows who has the rights.
Telefilm Saar, which produced them, was liquidated after a director embezzled millions of euros; I would have a assumed that Saarländischer Rundfunk would have retained rights to the films but maybe they've ended up with a bank or suchlike. Though they don't list a rightsholder for Like a Bird on a Wire either and I don't know what complications could be there...with any luck, maybe it has a shot of showing up as an extra in Vol. 3

Calvin

#200 Post by Calvin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:22 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:24 am
Whity and Pioneers are with the Fassbinder Foundation according to their website
I asked Fran Simeoni about this and he's under the impression that Arrow have everything they can licence out, but the last he spoke with them "was a while ago so things could have changed."