Suggestions and General Discussion

A film viewing and discussion club for Criterion Collection releases.
Mr Sausage

Re: A 60s vote, which means you're obligated to do it high.

#1501 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:29 am

Four more votes, another tie! You guys had one job!

In all seriousness, I did have to break the tie. I removed my vote from Pale Flower, leaving us with the winner, Dragon Inn.

Mr Sausage

Never Cursed presents: a vote

#1502 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 am

As our current member of the year, Never Cursed has curated a round of votes.

With his choice of Euphoria (Season 1), I figure we can do the same as we did with The Young Pope: a longer discussion round, with a spoilers-free period where members who haven't seen it yet can post about individual episodes as they watch them followed by a period of open discussion.

Mr Sausage

Re: Never Cursed presents: a vote

#1503 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:46 am

If it might sway anyone's vote, I'm going for Euphoria and will absolutely commit to an episode-by-episode reaction if anyone wants to join me on that. I had a lot of fun doing it the last time around for The Young Pope.

therewillbeblus

#1504 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:47 am

All incredible choices (as if there was any doubt), but count me in for the Euphoria party. I coincidentally just restarted the series for round three last night, and it only gets better and better: easily the most exciting show on TV, with some of the strongest acting and directorial strategies committed to film or television, and the best depiction of addiction, mental health struggles, and raw social influence I've seen in ages- maybe ever. Also, selfishly, I think that acclimating to Levinson's wavelength through this series drastically helps one appreciate what he's doing so boldly in my favorite, Assassination Nation, a masterpiece seemingly destined to be overlooked in all corners of the internet

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1505 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:52 pm

I can’t commit to a whole TV series right now, but I’ll use this as a prompt to finally see Hellzapoppin soon regardless of whether it wins

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1506 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:02 pm

If you're interested in a shorter-form but still worthwhile work of Levinson's, the first special episode of Euphoria, Trouble Don't Last Always, is only an hour and can be watched essentially independently of the main series (despite taking place following the end of Season 1)

therewillbeblus

#1507 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:41 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:02 pm
If you're interested in a shorter-form but still worthwhile work of Levinson's, the first special episode of Euphoria, Trouble Don't Last Always, is only an hour and can be watched essentially independently of the main series (despite taking place following the end of Season 1)
It also resembles a fiery twofer theatre adaptation despite being an original work, which may be of interest to you. It's also the very best, and most realistic depiction of a sponsor-sponsee (or just peer-based) conversation in 12-step fellowships I've ever seen, somehow balancing attention to the experiences of long-term recovery and the hesitant hopeless active addict at once in their respective layers of truth with equitable compassion and validation (Rue is not, for example, given the slightest condescension for her refutal of 12-step ideas, as these are near-universal barriers to engage with for those who call themselves members of these fellowships). I usually keep a steady hand and am not easily triggered or stimulated by films on addiction but this one destroyed me in ways I cannot fully express in a composed state. Levinson is the real deal, and he knows this stuff because he's lived it on both sides of that diner table- and.. same

Mr Sausage

#1508 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 am

That raises a good point: if Euphoria wins, are we including the two one-hour specials, or just the eight-episode first season?

therewillbeblus

#1509 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 am

The two specials are so singular that I don’t think it would matter. Most likely, if you enjoy the first season, you’ll want to transition right into them and consume as much of what’s available as you can bite into, but it wouldn’t be as spoiler-y or affect continuity of other discussions to do so. As much as I love S1, for me the specials are where Levinson elevates himself to a new level, which has thankfully transitioned into S2- only two episodes in, it feels drastically more mature and ambitious- and that’s saying a lot considering how excellent S1 is!

So that’s all to say: if you feel mixed on S1, I would still encourage viewing of the specials, which may revitalize motivation to keep going

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1510 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:26 pm

What are all the ways Euphoria is available to watch? People should probably know this before voting for it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1511 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:27 pm

HBO Max only, as far as I know

therewillbeblus

#1512 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:39 pm

That’s correct, and there is currently a 7-day free trial combo with Hulu, as well as a reduced price for an HBO Max subscription until Jan 25 (Tues)

Never Cursed

#1513 Post by Never Cursed » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:47 pm

Also for what it's worth, you have access to HBO Max if you have an HBO cable subscription in the US or Canada (I believe)

therewillbeblus

#1514 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:55 pm

Additionally, if you desperately want to watch the show *and will contribute to the discussion*, do not have HBO Max, the means to get it, or feel comfortable pursuing alternative avenues that walk the razor’s edge of legality, PM me. I would be honored to help any voice willing to be a contributing asset to a fruitful discussion on this series

Never Cursed

#1515 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Update on Euphoria availability: In the UK and Ireland, all episodes of the show can be seen and streamed on Sky Atlantic

Mr Sausage

Another day, another vote.

#1516 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 am

Here are five random films from the collection.

Mr Sausage

V is for Vote!

#1517 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:44 pm

Five random Criterions.

therewillbeblus

Re: V is for Vote!

#1518 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:09 pm

I still haven’t watched my Godzilla set, which I blind-bought when it first came out, what, years ago? My life is pretty full over the next week or two, with some timed film viewings already scheduled out, but if there’s a way I can watch this Godzilla film out of context (well, I’ve seen the original) and still give it a fair shake, I’d use this as an opportunity to crack open that set and force myself to analyze it in a vacuum. I’ll leave it to the Godzilla experts to inform my decision. If the experiment will be fruitless, I’ll just watch it in order some time down the line

knives

Re: V is for Vote!

#1519 Post by knives » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:07 am

It’s a direct sequel to King ghidirah, but stands on its own as a sort of proto-Star Trek thing. I’d say it’s worth it and you can look at my post in that thread for fuller thoughts.

Mr Sausage

Cast your Votes

#1520 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:27 am

Five random Criterions today.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Cast your Votes

#1521 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:29 am

I voted for Le trou because I’m trying to fit it in before the deadline on the 1960 mini-list anyway

Mr Sausage

#1522 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:30 am

That's where my own vote went. Probably time I watched it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1523 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:34 am

Le trou is fantastic and you both should call in sick to your jobs and go watch it right now

therewillbeblus

#1524 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:38 am

Le Trou is both a 1960 film for the current mini list project, and the one from the list I remember the least but that is pretty-much universally loved here. I remember being impressed but not bowled over like the rest of the forum, so that gets my vote in the hopes of seeing (more of) the light

Mr Sausage

Vote.

#1525 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:19 am

Vote.