Pre-2000s Television on Blu-ray

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Ribs

Re: Pre-2000s Television on Blu-ray

#251 Post by Ribs » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:56 am

Of course one imagines Cheers has to be in the queue - as well as the handful of other titles CBS announced as forthcoming way back in 2014 when they were still releasing these things at $130 a pop. Probably a Complete Lucy set, but also "Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Bonanza, The Wild Wild West, Petticoat Junction, Dynasty, The Beverly Hillbillies, Taxi, and Twin Peaks (with director David Lynch involved with the restoration)."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#252 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:05 am

Did they even release all of Petticoat Junction on DVD? I’d be stunned if that got a full series Blu set, but I’ve been stunned before by CBS’ slate!

Hifihedgehog

#253 Post by Hifihedgehog » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:47 pm

Time Tunnel, The (Complete series, Revelation Films, UK) - SD up-conversion,
Correction. I have the entire series on Blu-ray and it is absolutely not an upscale. Unlike my old DVD set, I can finally read the text on their name badges, see the individual threads on Tony's sweater, and even see the film grain. It is up there with my Gomer Pyle and Hogan's Heroes Blu-ray sets in terms of visual fidelity.

However...

I do have a recommendation for your shame list. I Dream of Jeannie is totally an upscale. In fact, it looks noticeably worse than my DVD set because the frame rate is off as well. I assume they are using some temporal upscaler that is very hit-or-miss. You can see here just how bad it is. (It is a stark contrast to Time Tunnel above which is true HD.) Just look at the line aliasing on Dr. Bellows' clipboard. Besides that, you cannot make out any text or fabric texture. Atrocious.

Last edited by Hifihedgehog on Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blip Martindale

#254 Post by Blip Martindale » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:12 am

Hifihedgehog wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:47 pm
LOL to your user name, very clever! But you'll have to post more "random" nude screenshots to complete the reference.

Hifihedgehog

#255 Post by Hifihedgehog » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Missed one! One other correction to the master list here:
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (Complete - Discotek, US)
This is one of those infamous "SD on BD" releases of the classic Sonic media, the other being Sonic X (post 2000). So it belongs on the shame list: