Wisteria/Unrecorded Night (David Lynch, 2022?)

Discuss TV shows old and new.
senseabove

Re: Wisteria/Unrecorded Night (David Lynch, 2022?)

#26 Post by senseabove » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:43 pm

It seems a bunch of TP-related folks like Kimmy Robertson, Amanda Seyfried, and Mary Reber (the owner of the Palmer house) have been vague-posting about Wisteria recently, if anyone wants spin wild theories.

yoloswegmaster

#27 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Finch

#28 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:24 pm

It's getting to the point now that it'd be nice if they just announced what this project is. Then again, if it wasn't Twin Peaks-related, Sabrina Sutherland wouldn't be monitoring Peaks forums as actively as she has lately and liking and following new Peaks sites and accounts.

Some speculation was that Wisteria and Unrecorded Night might be episode titles rather than the overall title for the new project. Also, Lynch has been talking a lot about the year 1956 in his weather forecasts lately: mainly in relation to songs released that year but who knows, perhaps it goes deeper than that.

therewillbeblus

#29 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Honestly the thing about Twin Peaks: The Return that bothered me the most, regarding 'unanswered stuff', is what the hell was going on with Jane Levy, who I was really looking forward to seeing in it, and that group of kids. She barely has a speaking line and her role is reduced to a concerned look, and I'd be interested in a series that explored another underbelly to Peaks/
Spoiler for Twin Peaks: The ReturnShow
a narrative within the alternate timeline, now that it's been altered, perhaps including Jane Levy and those characters who Lynch clearly had reason to flesh out the dynamics of briefly, only to have them elusively peter out and make zero sense to us. I mean, where's Billy?!

Finch

#30 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:44 pm

I get the impression that Mark Frost touched upon the parallel timeline ideas in The Final Dossier (which I have not read) so if that's what Lynch ends up pursuing in the new project, it would seem curious that Frost does not appear to be involved. Again though, if this is Peaks and Frost is not involved, I wouldn't end up losing sleep over this because Lynch has done Twin Peaks without him previously in Fire Walk With Me, and the film still is my favourite entry in the Peaks canon (though the Pilot and Part 18 run it close).

I agree with you that Jane Levy was underused in The Return and I was anticipating a larger role for her, too.

therewillbeblus

#31 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 pm

I read The Final Dossier, but not since it came out nearly four years ago, though I don't recall it getting into 'those' specifics. I just can't imagine that, at some stage, there wasn't more involving Levy and those characters. I mean I get that if David Lynch wants you in something of his, you do it, but I also imagine that an actress like Jane Levy -who was used to starring in horror vehicles with top billing around that time- isn't gonna ship off to shoot ten seconds of acting on a whim.

therewillbeblus

#32 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:15 am

New theory: "Unrecorded Night" refers to the footage not shot on the night Jane Levy was at the Bang Bang Club/the Roadhouse, and will star Jane Levy in a major role

Big Ben

#33 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 am

In regards to The Final Dossier/The Secret History of Twin Peaks and Season 3.
SpoilerShow
Both of these books imply not only the existence of an alternate timeline but that other dimensions exist as well. It also heavily implies that certain entities, particularly malevolent ones move about between them. Judy/Jowday for instance is somewhat hinted at being the entity that so spooked Richard Nixon (!) that he ostensibly had a mental breakdown coinciding with his resignation. If these plotlines continue and this project is indeed more Twin Peaks or something adjacent there is absolutely precedent lore wise for all manner of stories.

Worth nothing as well that Agent Preston discovers the Secret History of Twin Peaks AFTER the Final Dossier is written. Preston is acutely aware that shenanigans have happened too, as implied by the ending of The Final Dossier. Which means that rewriting history doesn't prevent people from remember things before time was scrambled.

J M Powell

#34 Post by J M Powell » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:27 pm

A few points that may be of interest:

1) Frost strongly insisted on Twitter some time ago that he is "Not involved. Period" with Lynch's new project. But that doesn't necessarily mean the project is not Twin Peaks–related. Indeed, there are some reasons to suspect that Frost may have chosen to walk away from the next Twin Peaks project (as he did earlier with FWWM), including a business filing from some months ago revealing a restructuring of Twin Peaks Productions, showing Frost stepping down from an executive role in the company that he had held for decades (and Lynch remaining in that role).

2) The Secret History and Final Dossier offer pretty definite answers about certain questions that The Return leaves unresolved—particularly
SpoilerShow
what effect The Return's final two episodes have on the timeline, with the Dossier revealing that Laura Palmer is now a missing person case rather than a murder case; she went missing and no body was ever found.
But, in interviews over the past few years, both Lynch and Sabrina Sutherland have gone out of their way to say that they don't consider those books to be definitive. If Wisteria is indeed Twin Peaks–related, I have no expectation whatsoever that the two Frost books will be used, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are flatly contradicted.

3) I really doubt that any material with Levy's character was cut from the script; in a way, I think the opposite is true. It seems clear to me (though I have no behind-the-scenes confirmation of this) that many scenes, including almost all the Roadhouse material, were added to the script after Lynch and Showtime resolved their budgetary dispute by doubling the total number of episodes. The series we all watched is stuffed with scenes that come out of nowhere and are never followed up, but for the most part it's easy to discern among them the scenes that must have been in the pre-budget-dispute script and were meant to add up to just nine episodes. That reconstructed script actually seems fairly tight to me, in stark contrast to the final product. It's clear that, faced with the challenge of doubling the runtime, Lynch rose to that challenge by preserving what they already had and then simply adding new, essentially unrelated material to it. Frost has said that Lynch wrote a lot of additional material after production began that made it into the final cut, though apparently Lynch would send Frost the pages for review and occasional revision. Whether all this is ultimately to the benefit or detriment of the series is up to you; for me, it's a mixed bag, though most of the Roadhouse scenes are among the gems. But at any rate, I really don't think there's any more to these scenes. What you see is all there is.
Last edited by J M Powell on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randall Maysin

#35 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm

I've been wondering if Lynch himself has any definite idea of how he will end this whole thing. There are so many tickling little loose ends that sort of indicate a master plan, but maybe I'm just a sucker.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#36 Post by soundchaser » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Randall Maysin wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm
I've been wondering if Lynch himself has any definite idea of how he will end this whole thing. There are so many tickling little loose ends that sort of indicate a master plan, but maybe I'm just a sucker.
I was under the impression that for Lynch it IS ended. (And I think I mostly agree.) I would be very surprised if this project turned out to be Twin Peaks related, if only for the practical reason that Showtime and Lynch have seemingly no reason to part ways on the show.

therewillbeblus

#37 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:29 pm

I also think Lynch's idea of a 'master plan' would be exactly the way he ended The Return- I don't expect any more tying of loose ends there regarding the core principals. However, I could see some of the smaller threads postured at (i.e. Levy and those youth, the Billy-drama crew) being brought into greater focus. Lynch seemed very interested in these new characters (that look Levy gives carries volumes of feeling from a narrative we are excluded from) and while I agree with J M Powell that the final product felt immaculately conceived in its own esoteric structure (I certainly would be shocked if Lynch had planned/shot/hinted unseen footage expanding on these arcs and none of the bit actors leaked this as a personal disappointment), I'm struggling to imagine him having no investment in those lingering arcs, even if they did whoosh in and out like fragments of a dream. Maybe the motivation is gone now for him, but rarely have I seen such palpable passion for characters who felt so fully-realised yet resigned to the elisions of the universe.

feihong

#38 Post by feihong » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:29 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 pm
Randall Maysin wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm
I would be very surprised if this project turned out to be Twin Peaks related, if only for the practical reason that Showtime and Lynch have seemingly no reason to part ways on the show.
Eric Szyszka on the We Hate Movies podcast frequently references his time working with people at Showtime––which I believe coincided with the debut of Twin Peaks: The Return. He says that the the word around the water cooler at Showtime was that most of the people working there hated the show, and that no one understood why they were making and releasing the series. Hearing that, I always assumed that any later Twin Peaks or Twin Peaks–related spin–off would have to come from another company. And let's not forget that before filming on The Return commenced Showtime had wanted to get a director that would offer a lower bid on the budget for the show than Lynch had.

As far as the story and structure of Twin Peaks, I think one of the special things about it is the way it seems to grow and change in response to the format it takes. Certainly the Laura Palmer/Cooper/Black Lodge material has been pretty fully explicated at this point, but the multiple dimension material from the beginning of The Return could I think lead to some more interesting visions and revisions of the Twin Peaks continuity which could be explored. The idea of Laura Palmer and Cooper lost wandering through different dimensions appeals to me. The Return was about putting a person back together (Cooper); a sequel could be about putting a broken world together; a world without a Twin Peaks, potentially. I dunno. Twin Peaks has turned out, I think, to be really artistically rewarding for Lynch, and also it seems the property he can most immediately reach with and receive funding. It has a base and a marketing reach that goes way beyond Lynch's other film projects. I would be surprised if what he was doing next was not Twin Peaks–related.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#39 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm

One wrinkle with the Twin Peaks speculation is that I'm pretty sure Lynch/Frost don't own the rights, CBS does. Not impossible that they worked out a deal with Netflix, but given that Paramount Plus is competing (not very successfully so far) in the same space, I'm not sure they'd be willing to hand over a marquee franchise to a major rival.

therewillbeblus

#40 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:42 pm

To what extent do the creative properties of Twin Peaks belong to CBS though? Couldn't Lynch feasibly be working on an adjacent project like some of us are speculating, that exists within his recently branched out universe but without, say, the town of Twin Peaks or the principal characters? Maybe not, but I'm curious how far these "rights" reach, and wouldn't be surprised if Lynch didn't even need to abide by them to make a loosely connected dream come to life, albeit with some overlap.

yoloswegmaster

#41 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:54 pm

The reddit user who had originally broke the news that David Lynch was working with Netflix on this has now revealed that Wisteria is no longer in development at Netflix.

Persona

#42 Post by Persona » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:16 pm

I don't know what to believe but we haven't heard a dang thing lately so yeah. I am not even sure Wisteria was real to begin with.

yoloswegmaster

#43 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm

Peter Deming on the future of Wisteria:
Peter Deming wrote:I wish I had some news; I don't. B/c of the worldwide pandemic—I think it was just starting pre-production. I had not started work on it yet. I'm assuming it'll come back to life at some point. I don't know when.
Last edited by yoloswegmaster on Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey Ballz

#44 Post by Monkey Ballz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:53 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm
Peter Deming says that he believes 'Wisteria' will be shooting soon:
Peter Deming wrote:I wish I had some news; I don't. B/c of the worldwide pandemic—I think it was just starting pre-production. I had not started work on it yet. I'm assuming it'll come back to life at some point. I don't know when.
Your link/headline suggests work will begin soon; your quoted text suggests the opposite.

Which is it?

yoloswegmaster

#45 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:13 am

Monkey Ballz wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:53 am
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:50 pm
Peter Deming says that he believes 'Wisteria' will be shooting soon:
Your link/headline suggests work will begin soon; your quoted text suggests the opposite.

Which is it?
Let me fix that for you.

J M Powell

#46 Post by J M Powell » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:32 pm

This is notable, if only as the first explicit, public admission by anyone involved in the project that the project actually exists.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#47 Post by Never Cursed » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Well that and the Production Weekly posting, which is basically an explicit acknowledgement that the project exists

J M Powell

#48 Post by J M Powell » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:06 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:36 pm
Well that and the Production Weekly posting, which is basically an explicit acknowledgement that the project exists
Sure—and that's a reliable source, and also scripts were copyrighted (albeit under a different title, so they may be unrelated), and tidbits had come from several other less reliable or anonymous rumor sources—but up until now, no one directly involved in the project had said "Yes, that's a thing." Because the unreliable rumors had already begun circulating about this project before the PW listing was posted, I considered it plausible, though unlikely, that PW might have gotten something wrong, or had been pranked with misinformation, especially after PW first removed Netflix's name from the listing and then deleted the listing entirely. This interview eliminates the shred of doubt that still remained in some people's minds, including my own, about the project's existence. Having watched the video it's clear Deming is not dissimulating. Indeed, he's probably being a lot more frank than he's supposed to be, given that at least a few other people who must know about the project have dodged similar questions for more than a year now.

Of course, it's still possible that it's now dead, anyway. Deming obviously hadn't been updated in quite some time about it.