Columbia Classics

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ribs

Re: Columbia Classics

#526 Post by Ribs » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:14 am

Sony will also be bringing out a 30th anniversary 4K collectors set for Sony Pictures Classics. No details available yet beyond listings, so all we know is it is 11 discs, has films in English, French, and Spanish, and costs $300 MSRP. Beyond presumably including one Almodovar and (just because it seems like the most obvious title) Call Me By Your Name, this is a pretty exciting prospect, especially if it turns out to actually be ~10 movies as the price suggests (nearly double what the Columbia Classics sets cost).

Ribs

#527 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 pm

The set will include:

Orlando
The City of Lost Children
The Celluloid Closet
Run Lola Run
SLC Punk
The Devil's Backbone
Volver
Synecdoche New York
Still Alice
Call My By Your Name
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

therewillbeblus

#528 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:31 pm

What an eclectic bunch to bundle together - looks as though the staff just individually contributed a random favorite to the pile without conversation

Ribs

#529 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 pm

Don’t entirely agree - I think, considering the history of this studio, this is a reasonable list of eleven titles that reflect the past thirty years. I would have probably prefered A Seperation or Amour instead of SLC Punk but I think basically every title here other than that one which I have to admit I am not familiar with has a credible case as an important film from the studio’s history.

senseabove

#530 Post by senseabove » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:41 pm

Definitely a better batting average than the Columbia Classics box sets... Still less than half things that make me say "ooh, gimme," but at least there aren't any I simply do not want. Unless I missed something about its reputation/reception, Still Alice seems like the only real "huh?"

Seems wild they chose to include a doc. Is The Celluloid Closet the first catalog/non-nature documentary on UHD?

Ribs

#531 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:55 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:41 pm
Definitely a better batting average than the Columbia Classics box sets... Still less than half things that make me say "ooh, gimme," but at least there aren't any I simply do not want. Unless I missed something about its reputation/reception, Still Alice seems like the only real "huh?"

Seems wild they chose to include a doc. Is The Celluloid Closet the first catalog/non-nature documentary on UHD?
From a studio itself? It might be - I can't think of anything offhand. From Criterion we have had For All Mankind and The Last Waltz. But I just paged through Blu-rays filters and it looks like this could be the first from the studios themselves.

Calvin

#532 Post by Calvin » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:08 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:41 pm
It won Julianne Moore a Best Actress Oscar but I don't think anybody was clamoring for it on UHD.

It's interesting to note that it seems like Woody Allen is such a toxic figure nowadays that Sony Pictures Classics - who distributed eight of his films after the allegation became very public knowledge - won't put Midnight in Paris or Blue Jasmine in a box set.

I'll get this though I'd much rather buy the ones I want individually and hate Sony's UHD strategy of grouping together films that have no relation to each other.

Ribs

#533 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:21 pm

I’d say there’s a credible argument that, for example, they could have picked arguably better remembered Oscar winning performances in Capote or The Father. But I personally love the film and am happy to see it included. Frankly, its strange to do a set like this and have the most recent film be from 5 years ago - I was expecting The Father or something random like The Truffle Hunters just to fit in something from them recently.

senseabove

#534 Post by senseabove » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:31 pm

Completely forgot Moore won for that one. I always forget how much stock studios put in thinking people care about Oscars after the night of... Reminds me of when I went on a WB studio tour a few years ago and every fifth sentence the guide mentioned "2013 winner of the Best Picture Oscar, Argo," the least likely reason for anyone to be interested in a WB studio tour.

And I guess I was unconsciously excluding Criterion, since them doing something like putting For All Mankind out on UHD is less surprising. Just seems bizarre for the first non-boutique full-release doc on UHD to be a talking heads clip show.

therewillbeblus

#535 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:32 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 pm
Don’t entirely agree - I think, considering the history of this studio, this is a reasonable list of eleven titles that reflect the past thirty years. I would have probably prefered A Seperation or Amour instead of SLC Punk but I think basically every title here other than that one which I have to admit I am not familiar with has a credible case as an important film from the studio’s history.
You seem to have misunderstood me, or took a leap to interpret my comment as a dis. This looks like one of the best studio box sets I can think of offhand, and I commend Sony for approaching their anniversary with a diverse palette of films, but this is far from the relatively homogenous studio sets we typically get (crowdpleasers, Oscar pics, melodrama-heavy epics, etc.) When I said it looks like everyone had the freedom to pick a personal favorite and blindly throw it in the box, that still means that this slate is comprised of individual works that people are incredibly passionate about. They are wildly different films, but there isn't a title in the bunch (outside of.. maybe Orlando?) that doesn't have a fervent group of supporters behind it. I was half-joking, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was more-or-less the strategy: Prompt a focus group of executives to 'think of your top three films from our studio over the last three decades', compare the lists as a collective, and formulate an eclectic group to represent the studio based on that separate brainstorming. Whatever the method was, this is how more box sets should be done

Maltic

#536 Post by Maltic » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:13 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:31 pm
What an eclectic bunch to bundle together - looks as though the staff just individually contributed a random favorite to the pile without conversation
Well, they could've combined The Raid and The Long Day Closes

dwk

#537 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:22 am

Sony is releasing Adaptation on UHD on December 6th.

captveg

#538 Post by captveg » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:44 pm

As well as My Best Friend's Wedding on UHD the following week on 12/13/22.

senseabove

#539 Post by senseabove » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:40 pm

captveg

#540 Post by captveg » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:08 pm

More 12/13/22 BD releases:

Dream with the Fishes (1997)
Spider (2002)

Rupert Pupkin

#541 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:21 am

Do you think that the upgrade for the blu-ray (from the 4K restoration Columbia box set) of The Last Picture Show is significant in comparison to the Criterion Blu-Ray release ? :-k
I have seen the UHD captures at DVDBeaver but no https://caps-a-holic.com comparison between the Criterion Blu-Ray and Columbia Blu-Ray (from the 4K restoration).
Both are the director's cut.
UHD caps looks gorgeous; so are the review about this set.

I plan to buy an UHD gear in a next not so distant future but the price of the single title via Ebay is way too expensive to import from the US to France (euro is going down + customs taxes even from good old UK). Thus, even from UK to France it's really expensive (far more expensive than the price of a Criterion US imported combo UHD+Blu-Ray).

This is one of my favorite movie of the Criterion collection. There is no way they will get the right back and release their own UHD+Blu-Ray combo release ?
If you have some info about that Criterion lost The Last Picture Show, then I will consider to buy it even through Ebay because it's one of my favorite movie.

M-A

#542 Post by M-A » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:55 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:21 am
Do you think that the upgrade for the blu-ray (from the 4K restoration Columbia box set) of The Last Picture Show is significant in comparison to the Criterion Blu-Ray release ? :-k
I have seen the UHD captures at DVDBeaver but no https://caps-a-holic.com comparison between the Criterion Blu-Ray and Columbia Blu-Ray (from the 4K restoration).
Both are the director's cut.
UHD caps looks gorgeous; so are the review about this set.

I plan to buy an UHD gear in a next not so distant future but the price of the single title via Ebay is way too expensive to import from the US to France (euro is going down + customs taxes even from good old UK). Thus, even from UK to France it's really expensive (far more expensive than the price of a Criterion US imported combo UHD+Blu-Ray).

This is one of my favorite movie of the Criterion collection. There is no way they will get the right back and release their own UHD+Blu-Ray combo release ?
If you have some info about that Criterion lost The Last Picture Show, then I will consider to buy it even through Ebay because it's one of my favorite movie.
Assuming that your monitor is 1080p and not 4K, if you view the DVDBeaver caps without zooming in, then you are essentially just viewing a 1080p version of it, which should tell you what the blu-ray will look like (barring any differences due to HDR). Doing this, you can see that the blu-ray in the columbia set is a very large upgrade :D

senseabove

#543 Post by senseabove » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:06 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
There are Amazon France listings for individual releases of these titles there, though they’ve yet to actually materialize, so you might wait a bit and see if they actually tuen up there.

Rupert Pupkin

#544 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:47 pm

senseabove wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:06 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
There are Amazon France listings for individual releases of these titles there, though they’ve yet to actually materialize, so you might wait a bit and see if they actually tuen up there.
oh? Can you please post the url which directs me to the single release for The Last Picture Show page at amazon.fr ? :oops: . Because all I can find at amazon.fr is the Columbia box set vol.3. The other Last Picture Show editions are imports (from the Criterion master- like the German US BR) or the French Carlotta release which use the same master than Criterion but has been supervised by David Mackenzie for the encoding.

M-A

#545 Post by M-A » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:07 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:47 pm
oh? Can you please post the url which directs me to the single release for The Last Picture Show page at amazon.fr ? :oops: . Because all I can find at amazon.fr is the Columbia box set vol.3. The other Last Picture Show editions are imports (from the Criterion master- like the German US BR) or the French Carlotta release which use the same master than Criterion but has been supervised by David Mackenzie for the encoding.
https://www.amazon.fr/The-Last-Picture- ... 1&psc=1&m=

This is the url, but I think the individual releases have been cancelled so I wouldn't expect it to come out any time soon.

yoloswegmaster

#546 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:45 pm

Volume 4 is coming soon with the following titles: His Girl Friday, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Kramer Vs. Kramer, Sleepless in Seattle, Starman, and Punch Drunk Love

Disc breakdown:
SpoilerShow
“His Girl Friday” Disc Breakdown

4K Ultra HD Includes:
Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, restored from the original camera negative
Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
Blu-ray Includes:
Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
Audio Commentary Featuring Film Critic and Author Todd McCarthy
(New) Screwball Style: The Iconic Costumes of Robert Kalloch Featurette
(New) Breaking the Speed Barrier: The Dialogue of His Girl Friday Featurette
Lighting Up with Hildy Johnson Featurette
Ben Hecht Featurette
On Assignment: His Girl Friday Featurette
Cary Grant: Making Headlines Featurette
Rosalind Russell: The Inside Scoop Featurette
Howard Hawks: Reporter’s Notebook Featurette
The Funny Pages Featurette
Vintage Advertising
Theatrical Trailers

“Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” Disc Breakdown

4K Ultra HD Includes:
Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, restored from the original camera negative
Dolby Atmos English audio
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
Audio Commentary Featuring Eddy Friedfeld, Lee Pfeiffer and Paul Scrabo
Theatrical Teaser
Feature Blu-ray Includes:
Feature presented in high definition
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
3.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
Introductions by Karen Kramer, Steven Spielberg, Tom Brokaw, Quincy Jones
A Love Story for Today Featurette
A Special Kind of Love Featurette
Stanley Kramer: A Man’s Search for Truth Featurette
Stanley Kramer Accepts the Irving Thalberg Award
2007 Producers Guild Stanley Kramer Award Presentation to An Inconvenient Truth
Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

“Kramer vs. Kramer” Disc Breakdown

4K Ultra HD Includes:
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
(New) Audio Commentary with Film Professor Jennine Lanouette
(New) 5 Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
4 Featurettes: Robert Benton on Directing, Justin Henry on Acting, Mothers and Daughters, Points of Pride
Theatrical Trailer
Blu-ray Includes:
Feature presented in high definition
5.1 Dolby TrueHD
Special Feature: Finding the Truth – The Making of Kramer vs. Kramer

“Starman” Disc Breakdown

4K Ultra HD Includes:
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
2-Channel Surround DTS-HD Master Audio
Blu-ray Includes:
Feature presented in high definition, from the 4K master
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
Audio Commentary with Director John Carpenter and Actor Jeff Bridges
(New) Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
They Came from Hollywood: Revisiting Starman Featurette
Making-Of Featurette
Music Video
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

“Sleepless in Seattle” Disc Breakdown

4K Ultra HD Includes:
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
(New) 30th Anniversary Critic Commentary with Karen Han & David Sims
(New) A Conversation on Sleepless in Seattle with Gary Foster and Meg Ryan
Audio Commentary Featuring Nora and Delia Ephron
4 Deleted Scenes
Love in the Movies Featurette
“When I Fall in Love” Music Video
Theatrical Trailer

“Punch-Drunk Love” Disc Breakdown

4K Ultra HD Includes:
Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, approved by director Paul Thomas Anderson
Dolby Atmos English audio, approved by director Paul Thomas Anderson
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
2 Deleted Scenes
Mattress Man Commercial
Blossoms and Blood
12 Scopitones
Jon Brion Featurette
Recording Session
Theatrical Trailers

Bonus Discs Include:

“Starman” – the complete 1986-1987 22-episode follow-up series, based on the feature film—exclusively presented in high definition. HD episodes included on 4K UHD discs for maximum space.

What A Disgrace

#547 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:18 pm

I can't believe we live in a world where Punch Drunk Love hits 4K before There Will Be Blood, Magnolia, and Boogie Nights, and that there was a Starman TV series.

beamish14

#548 Post by beamish14 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:45 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:18 pm
I can't believe we live in a world where Punch Drunk Love hits 4K before There Will Be Blood, Magnolia, and Boogie Nights, and that there was a Starman TV series.
The Starman series was essentially a very lame version of the 1980’s HBO show The Hitchhiker

I know that Michael Douglas keeps trying to get a remake off the ground

TBickle020776

#549 Post by TBickle020776 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:54 pm

Seems like an odd mix of films for this set.

I thought it was rumored that Punch-Drunk Love was possibly coming to Criterion (4K upgrade). Amazing like someone said not more of PTA’s films are being release in 4K and not a single new bonus feature for PDL has been created for this set.

I just picked up Kramer vs. Kramer on bluray a few weeks ago thinking it never be re-issued in 4K, but I guess I have some bad luck. Seems to have some nice new special features added and a commentary even though the making of is included on the bluray edition from Sony.

onedimension

#550 Post by onedimension » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:24 pm

Any chatter on whether/when these sets will be split into individual releases?