English Dubbing/Version Inclusion on the DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
aox

English Dubbing/Version Inclusion on the DVD

#1 Post by aox » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 am

How does Criterion decide whether or not to include the English dub?

Using Fellini for example, Night of Cabiria included the English dub track, but 8 1/2 did not. I would never sit and watch a film with the dub, but it would be nice to have these included as an option. I often throw a film on when I am doing work. Usually just for background ambiance.

MichaelB

Re: English Dubbing Inclusion on the DVD

#2 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 am

I actually think that the absence of an English track on And The Ship Sails On is a significant drawback, and was very disappointed with Criterion's DVD for that reason.

I first saw the film in English, and honestly think it works better that way, not least because much of the film is narrated onscreen by the great (and utterly inimitable) Freddie Jones, who really doesn't take well to being dubbed into Italian. The Italian dub is no more authentic than the English track, since both were clearly post-synched - and there are other English speakers in the cast besides Jones, notably Janet Suzman.

For similar reasons I'm none too keen on Pasolini's The Canterbury Tales in Italian - English fits the setting, the original author, much of the cast and, crucially, Tom Baker, another actor who should never be dubbed by anyone else! Fortunately, I believe the upcoming BFI reissue of the Pasolini trilogy will include English tracks, as was the case with Salò.

And while I'm on the subject, if Borowczyk's Docteur Jekyll et les femmes ever gets untangled from its horrendous rights labyrinth, I urge DVD producers to include both the French and English tracks - Patrick Magee is firmly in the Jones/Baker camp, and the English version is also rendered in this bizarre but oddly effective cod-Victorian dialect that I thought worked surprisingly well (horrendous lipsync aside).

Duck_You_Sucker

#3 Post by Duck_You_Sucker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:49 pm

It would be brilliant if there was allways an option for an English dub.Oh yes watching them in the original laungage is fun and how the director intended you to watch but sometimes the odd flickering of subtitles and the subtitles on Fellinis 8 1/2 were allmost transparent.I think them films would market are lot of more if more of a deal was made about an english dub on the film.For example The Leopard in its original italian with burned in englsih subs.Or The Leopard in a choice of Italian,Englsih,French,Spanish.MGM offers this alot on there dvds. ](*,)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:35 pm

Please provide an English dub of your post.

Duck_You_Sucker

#5 Post by Duck_You_Sucker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 am

There is nothing wrong with my post thank you very much.If your reply doesnt fit in wth the topic then please refain yourself from posting.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 am

He was pointing to the fact that your post is incomprehensible.

willoneill

#7 Post by willoneill » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 am

I comprehensed it.

Zazou dans le Metro

#8 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:23 am

Duck_You_Sucker wrote:There is nothing wrong with my post thank you very much.If your reply doesnt fit in wth the topic then please refain yourself from posting.
I feel a kevyip coming on.

aox

#9 Post by aox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 am

it was a perfectly cromulant post.

psufootball07

#10 Post by psufootball07 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 pm

I watched 3 films recently with English dub for a second before quickly changing, Mishimia, The Conformist and Waltz with Bashir. Very uncomfortable to listen to in English on all three, it definitely vastly changed the viewing experience, and while some complain that reading subtitles takes away from the film experience, they dont seem to bother me too much, I guess I have grown accustomed watching so many foreign films through CC, and I can speak French, which is a major sect of the collection.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#11 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Some people positively resent being "forced" to hear a language other than English being spoken -- so much so that they dislike traveling abroad to anyvplace where English is not the primary language. And this can be true of people who are otherwise extremely intelligent.

Sad, but true.

HarryLong

#12 Post by HarryLong » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:41 pm

cromulant -- Not simply used to refer to a frequently used word as per the use in "a perfectly cromulent word" but may be better defined as germane, or apt, synonomous with appropriate, or fitting.

cromulant -- Abundantly used, proliferate, widespread, accepted.

cromulant -- Over use of spray paint. Particularly many different colours seen together.
Actually a bit more spray paint might have helped.

HarryLong

#13 Post by HarryLong » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Some people positively resent being "forced" to hear a language other than English being spoken -- so much so that they dislike traveling abroad to anyvplace where English is not the primary language. And this can be true of people who are otherwise extremely intelligent.
I have a friend - a film critic, btw - who can't bear to watch Kurosawa because of the gutteral sound of the men's voices.
The closest I've come to preferring a dub was on HYENAS; it seems the people in that South African locale communicate by shouting at each other. The unvaried level of the diaslogue delivery was a bit trying.

knives

#14 Post by knives » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:40 pm

HarryLong wrote:
I have a friend - a film critic, btw - who can't bear to watch Kurosawa because of the gutteral sound of the men's voices.
The closest I've come to preferring a dub was on HYENAS; it seems the people in that South African locale communicate by shouting at each other. The unvaried level of the diaslogue delivery was a bit trying.
Leone? Technically those films are Italian.

willoneill

#15 Post by willoneill » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:00 pm

knives wrote:
HarryLong wrote:
Leone? Technically those films are Italian.
"Technically" those films aren't anything. No dialogue was recorded during shooting. So the Italian actors spekaing their lines in Italian, the Spaniards in Spanish, and Eastwood/Van Cleef/Wallach, etc. in English. Different dubs were then recorded for different markets.

Long story short, I don't think you can consider watching Leone's films in English the same as watching your typical foreign film dubbed into English.

knives

#16 Post by knives » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 pm

willoneill wrote:Long story short, I don't think you can consider watching Italy's films in English the same as watching your typical foreign film dubbed into English.
Fixed

Duck_You_Sucker

#17 Post by Duck_You_Sucker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:36 pm

Leone enjoyed Post Syncing as all sorts of great sound effects could be added and in "Once Upon a Time in the West" the score was played on set so no need to worry about who says what.Clint Eastwood said that when he was makeing Fistful of Dollars that he would say hes lines in English,Spaniards in Spanish and Italians in Italian.The other actor would speak after Eastwood did and where Leone recorded the sound after noise on the set.It wouldnt matter so whilst you were trying to do your lines there would be noise in the back from people shouting or people playing frisbe.Post Syncing i think is a better idea then atleast the film can go out in more languages ](*,) .It still annoys me the subtitles on Fellinis 8 1/2 where the white subtitles become transparent.

Gregory

Sorry if this sounds ungracious...

#18 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:06 am

So I guess no one's going to be forthright enough to note the amusing paradox of someone adamant about things being easy to read, yet who doesn't put spaces between sentences.

cysiam

#19 Post by cysiam » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:02 pm

The overuse of the head banging emoticon cancels that out.

Duck_You_Sucker

#20 Post by Duck_You_Sucker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Can you not post anywhere on the net without some smart alec who thinks they know it all.I come on here to chat about movies and DVDs i dont moan at peoples posts though i could but why choke up the site with that.

Gregory

#21 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

I realize most other forums may be different, but this forum has a history of actual standards regarding quirks of some members posting with no spaces, in all-caps (all lowercase is sometimes tolerated, though), etc. I've seen the strangest things on other forums, for example people using a string of commas between sentences instead of a simple space, or capitalizing the first letter of literally every word (why?!). One of the reasons I've stayed at this forum is because of these standards. As it is, I spend more time than I should looking at screens and so I'm probably too picky when it comes to things that tend to cause eye-strain over time.
May I ask if there's a problem with normal space bar use? Do we really need to be in such a hurry (though admittedly my own posts are sometimes more rushed than I'd like)?

zedz

#22 Post by zedz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Go Gregory! I'd like to add that the (presumably unintended) consequence for me of reading posts with no gaps between sentences is that they sound in my head like a run-on Aspergers' monotone, which makes me dismiss even reasonable comments and stop reading altogether after two sentences.

EDIT: And I assume that ALL CAPS posting in this forum would mean an instant ban, as well it should!

HerrSchreck

#23 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 pm

zedz wrote:Aspergers' monotone
Assburgers mentioned of course owing to the buttsecks dialog over on the Bruno thread, zedz you sneaky lad you...

Perkins Cobb

#24 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Plus, I at least waited until my post count hit the double digits before I started telling you guys how to run this place.

Norbie

English Audio Tracks

#25 Post by Norbie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:41 am

Has CC ever considered including English Audio Tracks to some of their Non English releases?
I'm watching Yojimbo on Bluray right now and i think it would be interesting to have
an english track included, if there is one available ofcourse, even as an extra.
I'm not saying to include a lossless or HD Audio quality, but like a 1.0mono or DD2.0 version.
With the large amount of space available on blurays i don't think 100-200mb will affect
the quality of the video and audio.

Well, thats what i think. 8-[ :roll: