My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Fletch F. Fletch

My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:47 am

Finally!

Artwork
ShockTillYouDrop.com has received early word that Lionsgate is prepping a special edition DVD of George Mihalka's 1981 slasher film My Bloody Valentine. Artwork is in, but details on the bonus material at this time is slim. We're told deleted scenes may possibly be included - that's a far cry from the bare bones release from Paramount a few years back.

The arrival of this special edition, of course, is to coincide with the January 16th bow of My Bloody Valentine 3D, so look for the DVD in stores on January 13th.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:54 pm

This is the only slasher movie from the 80s I enjoy, it's quite atmospheric and a bit more mature than its brethren. But I see no reason to replace the cheapie Paramount disc for this

Fletch F. Fletch

#3 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:This is the only slasher movie from the 80s I enjoy, it's quite atmospheric and a bit more mature than its brethren. But I see no reason to replace the cheapie Paramount disc for this
Well, I will reserve judgment until a definite list of extras is announced. I would really like to see those deleted scenes and I don't have the Paramount disc, so....

Jean-Luc Garbo

#4 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Oops, I forgot that this isn't a music forum.

AfterTheRain

#5 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:54 am

Fletch F. Fletch wrote:
domino harvey wrote:This is the only slasher movie from the 80s I enjoy, it's quite atmospheric and a bit more mature than its brethren. But I see no reason to replace the cheapie Paramount disc for this
Well, I will reserve judgment until a definite list of extras is announced. I would really like to see those deleted scenes and I don't have the Paramount disc, so....
I checked out the specs from the link Fletch posted above (I might be wrong, so forgive me if I am) and the DVD WILL include the deleted scenes we've been pining for as well as a featurette examining the making of the movie.

Along with domino harvey, I truly enjoyed MBV and personally, I'm stoked about this upcoming DVD release.

Narshty

#6 Post by Narshty » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:45 am

Hopefully they'll include the uncut version. That shouldn't be too hard to track down, given that it was (allegedly) the version released theatrically in the UK.

Cold Bishop

#7 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:56 am

The Uncut version has been easily accessible, as John Dunning has an uncut negative. It's only a case of Paramount making an effort to restore it which they up till now have had no interest in doing. The Deleted Scenes will be nice, as they will allow for a fan edit to be constructed, but the footage really deserves to be restored in the film.

manicsounds

Re: My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition

#8 Post by manicsounds » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:50 am

Lionsgate claims that the unrated footage will be separate, and the DVD will include only the theatrical cut

Daliah Lavi

#9 Post by Daliah Lavi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Not sure where this misinformation is originating from but for the record. The UK theatrical print included one extra gore shot, that of an arm ripping insert during the climax. There was the only addition to the already heavily cut R rated print.
I saw this extra footage during it's original UK cinema release. And also have confirmation from a good friend who worked at Paramount UK and had the enviable job of inserting said footage into the UK master, from a reel containing all the MPAA gore shots.
This reel I'm told was sent out to every distributor to beef up the film dependant on local censorship requirements.

The film's producer John Dunning stated he discovered the negatives to the 9+mins (only) cut prior to release, of which that includes both the MPAA censored gore and dialogue Paramount removed prior to it's North American release.
Nowhere did he state he had in his possession the full uncut version in negative form.

Anyone not happy about Lionsgate merely placing this cut footage into a supplement and not going the extra with a uncut restoration of this atmospheric slasher, please see my post below for my campaign page!
Last edited by Daliah Lavi on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daliah Lavi

#10 Post by Daliah Lavi » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Well I've decided to set up my own "Restore My Bloody Valentine Campaign" page http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/forum.php?forumid=162564

We've put together a letter template to speed things up, and the thread will be kept up to date with the latest 'My Bloody Valentine' Jan '09 dvd news.

AfterTheRain

#11 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:23 am

The specs were officially listed on http://www.thedigitalbits.com today and it appears you can view the film with the deleted scenes reinserted through seamless branching as well as the theatrical cut. The only thing I can say is HUZZAH! =D>

Noiretirc

#12 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Hmmm.

I saw this 2-disc steelbook thingy at Wallyworld today. The unrated disc has 3 minutes of extra footage, not the 9 minutes that were cut.

So, as I bump this thread a dozen years later, we still don't have the fully restored version, right?

Big Ben

#13 Post by Big Ben » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:44 pm

Noiretirc wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:46 pm
Hmmm.

I saw this 2-disc steelbook thingy at Wallyworld today. The unrated disc has 3 minutes of extra footage, not the 9 minutes that were cut.

So, as I bump this thread a dozen years later, we still don't have the fully restored version, right?
How old was the steelbook? Shout restored the original uncut negative in 2019 and put out a pretty pristine version on Blu Ray featuring all the nasty violence the MPAA was all too ready to cut out. The only scene that's missing was deleted and lost back when the film was being assembled. It involved two people being impaled together.

Here's an example of the gory restored footage courtesy of Shout themselves. NSFW obviously.

Noiretirc

#14 Post by Noiretirc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:03 pm

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/my ... ct_id=7536

It was indeed this edition. They list the durations of theatrical/uncut versions to 90min/93min.

(Edit: I should also add that Wallyworld had it for less than half the price listed in the above link.)