Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
triodelover

Re: Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

#551 Post by triodelover » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 pm

warren oates wrote:I wonder if they won't be holding back certain more popular titles for a bit, though. I don't see listings for Vertigo, Rear Window or The Birds yet, for instance.
Vertigo and Rear Window are listed. I've got them on my wish list and signed up for email notification. Don't know about The Birds.

hearthesilence

#552 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Finally went through some of the problem titles and I almost felt like chucking these discs out the window.

Watching this on a 55" screen that is very close to the couch (I live in a narrow apartment), Frenzy is unwatchable to me. The DNR is horrendous, and there are times when it's a ridiculous joke. Check out that early scene when Rusk enters Brenda's office to confront her. On Brenda's shots, the grain reduction really kicks in on the right side of the screen, where the plain-looking walls in the background fall out of focus. But with anything close to the foreground (i.e. more in focus) or anything with more texture to it, the grain returns. You can see this happen with solitary objects vs. the wall surrounding them. It's like the algorithm or whatever the fuck goes on with these machines actually 'cut' out these parts of the frame (as if these parts were stenciled) and then wiped the grain clean off the rest of the frame.

And Marnie really is horrendous, how the hell did they plaster that digital noise over everything? After sampling most of the set beforehand, it's obviously noise introduced into the transfer, there's nothing 'film like' or 'film-grain like' about it at all. The grid pattern that was mentioned was painfully and immediately obvious in that first shot. Atrocious.

Re: The Man Who Knew Too Much, I can see why Harris didn't like it, the color does look like a disappointment. It may simply be an indifferent transfer of a problematic film element, that is nothing was done to improve or fuck up the image. Not unwatchable, but it just looks drab, not what I expect from any film shot in this format.

Rope's color is also a disappointment, but this is also how it looked on the last DVD, so I wonder if this film has just been neglected over the years and in need of a real film restoration? There's also a few spots where you can see details pulsating in and out of focus, but this only happens (if it happens, that is) with a still object that's in focus within a still shot, and things generally keep moving in every frame.

The Birds bothers me. With the first shot (probably because of the VFX), you immediately notice what was described as the grain moving more 'slowly' than it should. It doesn't move like film grain that's set in different patterns in frame after frame, the movement has been dragged enough that it actually looks like animation of some kind. You can see this in every shot, especially in the first shot of Tippi Hedren crossing the street, but it is worse with the VFX shots, maybe because they were much grainier from optical printing and this was the result of trying harder to 'manage' grain in those spots?

Anthony Thorne

#553 Post by Anthony Thorne » Mon May 06, 2013 10:03 pm

The Birds and Rear Window were just released this week in Australia. The discs are region free and quite cheap.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/birds- ... dp/6139720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/rear-w ... dp/6139721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

repeat

#554 Post by repeat » Tue May 07, 2013 12:52 am

The separate Blu-rays of The Birds, Rear Window, Saboteur and Family Plot are out tomorrow in Scandinavia, and they're cheaper than the UK ones even with worldwide shipping. No mention of region coding on the back covers.

dustybooks

#555 Post by dustybooks » Tue May 07, 2013 1:58 am

hearthesilence wrote:Re: The Man Who Knew Too Much, I can see why Harris didn't like it, the color does look like a disappointment. It may simply be an indifferent transfer of a problematic film element, that is nothing was done to improve or fuck up the image. Not unwatchable, but it just looks drab, not what I expect from any film shot in this format.
Out of sheer curiosity, does TMWKTM still open with the Universal fanfare instead of the original Paramount logo? This was the most dubious of the original DVD transfers in this line, as I recall, and the use of an '80s restoration print kind of underlined that.

hearthesilence

#556 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am

HA, I'd have to check to make sure because I started skipping through these after a few titles, but I'm pretty sure every single one of these Blu-Ray discs have the Universal fanfare.

In fact, not only do they have the fanfare, they have it twice - first the shiny, new CG 100th Anniversary version, then again with the same CG graphic sans "100th Anniversary" type at the bottom. It's a little irritating when you just want to start the movie and you have to set through all those warnings, and then this animated graphic comes up that doesn't even look correct, and then they do it again.

ianungstad

#557 Post by ianungstad » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 am

Does anyone know why Universal decided to release the individual blu rays of Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo and Rear Window in every other country in the world besides US/Canada? Seems strange.

Professor Wagstaff

#558 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 am

"Psycho" used to be available as a standalone R1 blu-ray. But I agree, it's a problem, even if I'd be likely to buy the set with all those titles.

Jack Phillips

#559 Post by Jack Phillips » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:12 am

ianungstad wrote:Does anyone know why Universal decided to release the individual blu rays of Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo and Rear Window in every other country in the world besides US/Canada? Seems strange.
They're coming. If you check the release dates of Topaz (Nov.) and Frenzy (Dec.), it's apparent that they're doing a gradual roll-out of the titles, saving what we might call the Big Three for last (which appears to be some time in 2014). What's odd is that on this scheme The Birds is going to miss its 50th Anniversary year. I guess maybe they figure they'll sell some more of the sets for Christmas this way. Anyway, if you're in hurry, everything is available from the UK and they're all supposed to be Region Free.

Finch

#560 Post by Finch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 am

Shadow of a Doubt is available in the US individually though not in the UK and elsewhere (as far as I'm aware). My copy of the US BD shipped last week.

Matt

#561 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:37 am

ianungstad wrote:Does anyone know why Universal decided to release the individual blu rays of Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo and Rear Window in every other country in the world besides US/Canada? Seems strange.
The Essentials box set that includes all of those plus North by Northwest is still only $38 at Amazon, much cheaper per title (even if you already own one or two) than you're going to get them individually.

HJackson

#562 Post by HJackson » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Finch wrote:Shadow of a Doubt is available in the US individually though not in the UK and elsewhere (as far as I'm aware). My copy of the US BD shipped last week.
It's available on Amazon UK so I think it has been released. Universal released Rear Window, Saboteur, and Family Plot a few months ago, and all the rest came out at the end of September.

jsteffe

#563 Post by jsteffe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Forgive me for what is probably a pointless question, but did anyone ever pick up the stand-alone Blu-ray of Marnie? And if so, does it have the same digital noise problem for most of the film as did its initial release in the big box set?

Movie-Brat

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#564 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:17 am

Hi, first of all I'm new here and I'm just starting a Blu-Ray collection of my own. My birthday is approaching and one of my potential choices is The Alfred Hitchcock: The Essential Collection. My question is, is that set worth getting? I just want be sure especially since I heard the transfers on some of the films are not really good unfortunately but like I said, I need to be sure.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#565 Post by Drucker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:11 am

I'm fairly certain that set is mostly okay. The Psycho and Rear Window transfers were probably among the best reviewed of the larger Universal box set, the Psycho disc is generally good as well. The Birds, on the other hand, was met with a good deal of criticism, however, and there are many on this forum who feel that North by Northwest, like Warner's presentation of The Searchers, is lacking with colors that don't pop as they should, and an overall "ugly" look.

I hope I've summarized that well.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#566 Post by jindianajonz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 am

I have the old velvet box DVD set, and from what I read about the inconsistent quality of the blu-rays, I've never felt much need to upgrade. If don't already own most of the films, though, this is still Alfred Hitchcock- you are buying the movies for the films themselves, not the image quality, so it may be worth it.

captveg

#567 Post by captveg » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 pm

It helps that one can find it fairly inexpensively and for about the same cost as 5-6 of the individual releases. That's what got me to jump even though I only really wanted to own about half the films.

Movie-Brat

#568 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Drucker wrote:I'm fairly certain that set is mostly okay. The Psycho and Rear Window transfers were probably among the best reviewed of the larger Universal box set, the Psycho disc is generally good as well. The Birds, on the other hand, was met with a good deal of criticism, however, and there are many on this forum who feel that North by Northwest, like Warner's presentation of The Searchers, is lacking with colors that don't pop as they should, and an overall "ugly" look.
Sounds like I'm better off with the DVDs with some of the films like The Birds, North By Northwest and maybe Vertigo. Alright, I think I'll be fine buying Blu-Rays for Psycho and Rear Window. Thank you sir.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#569 Post by Drucker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:12 am

My understanding is that the Vertigo disc is a big improvement over the DVD (and has the original Mono soundtrack as well?), for what it's worth.

Movie-Brat

#570 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:52 am

Drucker wrote:My understanding is that the Vertigo disc is a big improvement over the DVD (and has the original Mono soundtrack as well?), for what it's worth.
I thought the Blu-Ray didn't have the original mono. Though that aside, I guess Vertigo will do as well so thank you as well.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#571 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:10 am

Wasn't the title sequence of Vertigo completely redone from scratch, and they misspelled some names in the credits?

matrixschmatrix

#572 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:25 am

No, I believe that was Frenzy- the Vertigo disc is lovely.

MichaelB

Hitchcock on Universal DVD and Blu-ray

#573 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:53 am

That was indeed Frenzy - they initially "restored" the opening credits, but didn't think to hire a proofreader. But they corrected it for the release version (although sadly that disc has other problems, notably heavy DNR).

Movie-Brat

#574 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:36 pm

See, the whole Frenzy thing is why I'm now suddenly hesitant on buying the Essential Collection. It just seems like to me, I'm better buying off Psycho, Rear Window, and Vertigo separate. From what I've been hearing about, I'm curious as to how does Universal even screw up the very films they own?

ianungstad

#575 Post by ianungstad » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Universal doesn't own the Hitchcock films. They are licensed from the Hitchcock estate and have been distributed by multiple studios over the years.