DVD Cataloguing Software

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: DVD Cataloguing Software

#151 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:11 pm

I don't have a clue as to how many movies I have. ;-)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#152 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:16 pm

I just use a Google Doc, it’s pretty easy

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#153 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm

I probably would want something more data-basey. ;-)

Luke M

#154 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:32 pm

I use that website we always make fun of.

Cash Flagg

#155 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Luke M wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:32 pm
I use that website we always make fun of.
I refuse to, which probably makes me more despondent over FilmAf’s sudden demise than most. The impending reality of only having a dull, imageless spreadsheet to reference for my collection, like I was some dreary accountant keeping dutiful track of his expenses for tax purposes, is an extremely depressing scenario.

knives

#156 Post by knives » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm

You could also be a fun loving accountant keeping a loving track of his expenses.

senseabove

#157 Post by senseabove » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:27 pm

When I bought my first accidental duplicate copy of something, I bought the My Movies mobile app (not the "by Blu-Ray.com" one, the other one) so I could just quickly scan all the barcodes and have a list. It's a pretty good database—the only bar-coded title I had to add in my entire collection was the Grasshopper DVD of Denis' Towards Mathilde—but the mobile app is unfortunately limited beyond very basic cataloging. Search seems pretty stupid (i.e. you can't search by director), so it's only good for looking up titles or sorting by some basic metadata, and you can't do things like edit box sets/groupings on the mobile app.

senseabove

#158 Post by senseabove » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:00 am

Correction: a fellow My Movies user let me know you can search by director in the mobile app, you just have to go to the Persons sidebar and scroll through the list. You can't search in the general search box for a name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The app has a whole host of bizarre design decisions like that... but it's still pretty handy.

therewillbeblus

#159 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:44 am

I had no idea these logging systems existed. I just keep buying shelves that are within view from my tv couch so I can spot everything before hitting purchase. Finally out of wall space though (unless I wanna sell the instruments in the corner, or that exercise bike) so a better system is probably a good idea as I start moving stuff into our-of-eyesight storage

black&huge

#160 Post by black&huge » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 am

I'm still able to add/delete titles to my collection on filmaf. Is it that they're not at the moment accepting submissions or is it sometime this week it goes down?

wernski

#161 Post by wernski » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 am

black&huge wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 am
I'm still able to add/delete titles to my collection on filmaf. Is it that they're not at the moment accepting submissions or is it sometime this week it goes down?
From the official Filmaf Facebook: "The server is shutting down July 30th and not coming back (we assume).
Again, we recommend exporting your collections now." :(

black&huge

#162 Post by black&huge » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:34 am

Oh! well... shit.

nitin

#163 Post by nitin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:17 am

the site looks to now be gone.

Grand Wazoo

#164 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Their last facebook post doesn't seem to discount it possibly coming back. I hope so as their "export collection" option only exported the first line of each listing and I only got halfway through copy/pasting details into the new spreadsheet. I had ample warning so it's my own fault, but still the OCD of an incomplete spreadsheet is the work of the devil.

bamwc2

#165 Post by bamwc2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:28 pm

Since most of the recommendations in this thread are over a decade old, I'm not sure which apps are still available and which one would be the best choice for me. I'd like to be able to scan with my cell phone to make sure that I don't accidentally buy the same disc twice (something I absent mindedly did with an Eclipse set back in the day). Any recommendations?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#166 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:55 pm

I bought something twice because it had a different cover and a title written only in Japanese (which I mis-read). ;-)

senseabove

#167 Post by senseabove » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:01 pm

bamwc2 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:28 pm
Since most of the recommendations in this thread are over a decade old, I'm not sure which apps are still available and which one would be the best choice for me. I'd like to be able to scan with my cell phone to make sure that I don't accidentally buy the same disc twice (something I absent mindedly did with an Eclipse set back in the day). Any recommendations?
senseabove wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:27 pm
When I bought my first accidental duplicate copy of something, I bought the My Movies mobile app (not the "by Blu-Ray.com" one, the other one) so I could just quickly scan all the barcodes and have a list. It's a pretty good database—the only bar-coded title I had to add in my entire collection was the Grasshopper DVD of Denis' Towards Mathilde...

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#168 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 pm

senseabove -- Does this have foreign release information? And how does it handle homemade DVDs of stuff not commercially released?

senseabove

#169 Post by senseabove » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:02 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 pm
senseabove -- Does this have foreign release information? And how does it handle homemade DVDs of stuff not commercially released?
Yep. My collection is probably 1/3 non-Region A, and still the only barcoded title I had to enter was the Denis DVD. You can also add titles to your own and only your own collection, so homemade discs should be fine.

DeprongMori

#170 Post by DeprongMori » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:18 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 pm
There is a pretty huge non-Region A data population in MyMovies, which I’ve been using for 3-4 years now. I probably have about 2500 discs cataloged, of which maybe about a quarter to a third are Region B at this point. The software development team is in Denmark, so a lot of the customer base is Region B.

There are tools for adding records if they are not already populated in the database, as well as tools for improving information that is there. All releases are keyed to barcode. I do my data management on the PC version and use the synced iPhone client when I’m out and about. It’s very easy to pull down records by barcode from the master database, and even easier if you have a barcode reader.

There is a ton of data maintained (and shared) about releases and movies that is not yet index-accessible in the client, but I suspect that additional functionality will be coming in future versions.

You can also maintain private data if you want to index DVDs you’ve burned or other media not commercially available. That be be synched to your clients as well.

While it is not entirely without frustration, it does 90% of what I want it to out of the box. I have no interest in moving to another product.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#171 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:22 pm

When I check the app store, I see several different My Movies apps -- who made the one you are talking about?

Oh -- and do you need a bar code reader if you use the app on your PC?

senseabove

#172 Post by senseabove » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:47 am

Here's the website which should link to the right one in for the various app stores/OSs.

I don't know about the desktop version, but the phone version scans barcodes with your phone camera. Note that the desktop and mobile version are two separate charges, and buying one doesn't grant access to the other.

BigMack3000

#173 Post by BigMack3000 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:39 am

I'm pretty satisfied with My Movies as well. It's what I moved to after Delicious Library lost their Amazon api. I have it for my phone and pc. It's also fairly easy to add a release that isn't yet in the database (or add individual films to a boxset).

bamwc2

#174 Post by bamwc2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 am

senseabove wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:47 am
Here's the website which should link to the right one in for the various app stores/OSs.

I don't know about the desktop version, but the phone version scans barcodes with your phone camera. Note that the desktop and mobile version are two separate charges, and buying one doesn't grant access to the other.
Thanks. This is very helpful, but I'm still a little confused. I see that there's a "pro" version for $9.99 and a free version, but I don't see an explanation of the difference between the two. Which one do you use? Do you know what you get with the pay version, that you don't get with the free one?

senseabove

#175 Post by senseabove » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Yeah, neither the website nor the app are the most... intuitive. They both have an unfortunate, kinda bizarre learning curve. Wait til you try to understand the point system they offer for contributing to the database.

The free versions of both mobile and desktop apps limit you to 50 titles. I think they’re otherwise fully functional.