DVD Cataloguing Software

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
DeprongMori

Re: DVD Cataloguing Software

#176 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:22 pm
When I check the app store, I see several different My Movies apps -- who made the one you are talking about?
The developer is Binnerup Consulting in DK. I see two apps listed — this free (upgradable) version limits the database to fifty titles and gives you a chance to try the interface and functionality, and the Pro version for $9.99 which removes the limits.
Oh -- and do you need a bar code reader if you use the app on your PC?
No barcode reader needed on the PC interface. You can just enter the numbers under the barcode to retrieve the record for that release. Using a barcode scanner just makes it a lot quicker, especially if you are cataloging a large collection. You certainly don’t need one for testing out the functionality as you can do manual entry.

(I believe there is a similarly stubbed version of the PC software available for trial as well at https://mymovies.dk).

bamwc2

#177 Post by bamwc2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks, senseabove. I went ahead and downloaded the app. Unfortunately, I only have a handful of discs to scan here. 99% of my collection is at my parent's house, and with the quarantine going on, I don't know when I'll be back there to scan them.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#178 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:53 pm

I have a webcam -- but they don't apparently support webcam barcode reading anymore. I started entering Japanese DVDs and blurays -- and have found that they have almost none of them in their database. :-(

jazzo

#179 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:57 pm

Thought I'd offer up another option for cataloging discs.

Looking for software for book cataloging, I came across developer, Kimico's, Book Buddy, which was a fairly inexpensive full version purchase. It pretty much captured all of my needs to properly log my collection, almost always catching the title from an ISBN scan off my phone, and modular enough to adjust any data you need to for your own preferences. All of that data, by the way, can easily be cross-referenced, sorted in a variety of ways (anything from Title to director to year of release, studio, writer, series, etc), backed-up to cloud storage, exported (and printed), imported and shared amongst multiple devices. You can enter things manually. You can search online, find it, and save it to your catalogue. You can replace any image you want.

I actually thought I was fine with the free Blu-Ray.Com app, but it after a while I found its aesthetic a bit too messy, and off-putting how reliant it was on an internet connection and data usage. And Book Buddy so perfectly matched my needs, I went ahead and purchased their Movie Buddy and Music Buddy apps in a $12.00 bundle (CAD) , and have found both to be just as amazing.

Multiple movies or television shows can found as bundles or individually. I've chosen to log individual releases, amending the info, as needed, and then bundling the films or shows as a "series", which will link them all. Finding television series through their online search instead of scanning also brings up a list of each individual episode and their air dates!

So, just in case I've piqued anyone's interested, all three apps can be found here: https://www.kimicoapps.com/

The bundle came from Apple.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#180 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just use the free Goodreads app for books?

jazzo

#181 Post by jazzo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:05 pm

I'm a little out of it at the best of times, Domino. I didn't know about it, to be perfectly honest.

knives

#182 Post by knives » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:58 pm
Is there a reason why you wouldn't just use the free Goodreads app for books?
They don’t have pages for many of my books, I’m not even going by editions for most of these, so I’ve had to make my own system for my books. I’ve been trying to make suggestions to their database to compensate, but they’re pretty unresponsive on the best of days.

wattsup32

#183 Post by wattsup32 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Does anyone know of a good cataloguing software or app that crosses IOS/Android platforms. So far as I can tell I am in a bad spot with a Google phone and an Apple computer.

Morbii

#184 Post by Morbii » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 am

Once FilmAf bit the dust, I just exported my collection to a TSV and imported it into Excel. Excel is now my cataloguing software, and I leave the collection file on OneDrive. So, I can access it from my phone, iPads, computer, etc. (and I can't imagine MS doesn't keep redundancy, but I back it up regardless).

senseabove

#185 Post by senseabove » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:27 pm

Apparently FilmAF has uploaded everything—DB, collections, software, all of it—to GitHub, if anyone wants to replicate it: https://github.com/FilmAf/Collections

FrauBlucher

#186 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:27 pm

Anyone have any good recommendations for a cataloging app for iPhones?

criterionsnob

#187 Post by criterionsnob » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 pm

My Delicious Library software started freezing, so I recently switched to DVDpedia on my laptop. It syncs with Pocketpedia for iPhone. It works reasonably well with a few quirks. I’d recommend it.

jazzo

DVD Cataloguing Software

#188 Post by jazzo » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:22 am

I use MovieBuddy for my discs, and BookBuddy for my comics, and both have worked very smoothly, with great curation control and capacity to tailor the details of my collections to my needs.

Peacock

#189 Post by Peacock » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:56 am

I use the Blu-Ray.com app as well as Letterboxd lists.

Didn’t realise DVDpedia was still around! I wonder if I’m still registered! My first cataloguing app maybe 15 years ago.

nicolas

#190 Post by nicolas » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:11 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Anyone have any good recommendations for a cataloging app for iPhones?
The single best app I’ve ever used is hands down My Movies. I’ve been using their apps since 2013 and it’s wonderful. Extensive filter options and a very easy process to request additions to the database when a release isn’t listed are what make this app the best one for what I need.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#191 Post by cdnchris » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:37 pm

That's the one I use as well. Very intuitive, and they had been always quick at adding titles (though I haven't requested an addition in a very long time, so not sure if that still holds true).

DeprongMori

#192 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:07 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:27 pm
Anyone have any good recommendations for a cataloging app for iPhones?
Also a huge fan of My Movies. I’ve been using it for maybe a decade now. An excellent product that provides tremendous flexibility, and syncs to my phone. I can also get a full display on Apple TV. I can’t speak about the Android client, but the iOS client is excellent. Similarly, I do my fine-scale database maintenance on a Windows device, and have not used the Mac version.

nicolas

#193 Post by nicolas » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:12 pm

cdnchris wrote:That's the one I use as well. Very intuitive, and they had been always quick at adding titles (though I haven't requested an addition in a very long time, so not sure if that still holds true).
They’re still very quick in getting titles added. I requested 14 Lars von Trier BDs (from the Potemkine set) last week and they had them in the database the next day.

nicolas

#194 Post by nicolas » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:05 pm

And just as we’re speaking, My Movies 5 has been released as a separate upgrade: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/my-movies ... 6473427404

I appreciate that MM haven’t changed to a subscription style payment that make these apps so ridiculously costly over time.