Humphrey Bogart Collections

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

#26 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:44 am

All of the discs in this set are in slimcases -- including The Maltese Falcon (one slimcase with the film, and a second one with the other two discs). The Falcon discs are housed in their own slipcase.

Greathinker

#27 Post by Greathinker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:51 am

Gee, release day and still not one review for the maltese falcon?

Antoine Doinel

#28 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 pm

I know that the Canadian release date has been bumped to Oct. 17th.

Maybe Warner had to fix something at the last minute and couldn't get review copies out in time?

Gigi M.

#29 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:50 pm

Here's some related stuff about Malcon.

Jeff

#30 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 pm

I wrote:The Falcon discs are housed in their own slipcase.
Unfortunately, upon closer inspection of the boxed set today, the Falcon discs are not in a slipcase within the Bogart set. I guess you only get the slipcase if you buy The Maltese Falcon separately.

Gigi M.

#31 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:45 pm

There's seems to be some confusion regarding the packaging of The Maltese Falcon inside the Bogart set. Many have gotten the set with the complete slipcase and other like you Jeff, without it. I'll get mine on friday and let you know.

HarryLime

#32 Post by HarryLime » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:01 am

[quote]
By DAVE KEHR
Published: October 3, 2006

Remakes, according to a deeply ingrained critical convention, are inevitably inferior to the original films. Exhibit A in the case against that irrational assumption has long been John Huston's 1941 “Maltese Falcon,â€

Eclisse

#33 Post by Eclisse » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:40 am

Gigi M. wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I wrote:The Falcon discs are housed in their own slipcase.
Unfortunately, upon closer inspection of the boxed set today, the Falcon discs are not in a slipcase within the Bogart set. I guess you only get the slipcase if you buy The Maltese Falcon separately.
There's seems to be some confusion regarding the packaging of The Maltese Falcon inside the Bogart set. Many have gotten the set with the complete slipcase and other like you Jeff, without it. I'll get mine on friday and let you know.
Oh,no. It's the Val Lewton Collection all over again. :(

Multi-Region

#34 Post by Multi-Region » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:55 am

Gigi M. wrote:This collection will be release the same day as Vol. 2 (October 3):Casablanca: SE
Treasure of the Sierra Madre: SEHigh SierraThey Drive by Night
Amazon's Pre-order.
As far as I know, last week, DVDPacific.com shipped already the vol. 2 pre-orders.

Maybe off topic, but in this 2nd Vol. is the The Malrese Falcon 3-disc too.
Any review of/comments to this 3-dic exists already?

Multi-Region

#35 Post by Multi-Region » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:34 am

davidhare wrote:Yes Dave Kehr at NYT
Great! Thanks.

jcelwin

#36 Post by jcelwin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:05 am

what the hell?!?

I just got it and I got the two slim cases for maltese falcon. Really crap. Any idea why they do this? Really crap.

Also, one of the cases is torn... and two are black while the others are clear (which I don't care about, but is weird).

How big is the slip case for the maltese falcon discs? Is it the same size as two slim case, and will it fit into the same size box?

Gregory

#37 Post by Gregory » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:39 am

Thank you! I was on the fence about this set for a time and had pretty much decided not to buy it, but I didn't know "Jammin' the Blues" was tucked away in one of the Warner Night at the Movies features. That sold me on getting the set, and I've already watched the short three times. The music would have stood up perfectly well under a run-of-the-mill presentation (especially seeing and hearing Pres in his prime) but this is so well directed and photographed. Far better than Jazz on a Summer's Day, in my opinion and indeed worth the price of the whole set (getting it for half price helped). It's a shame that such a small amount of music in this tradition was professionally filmed during its heyday.

milk114

#38 Post by milk114 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Should there be a thread documenting the shorts that appear in Warner's Night at the Movies across titles?

I ask because I also wasn't sure if I'd buy the boxset or just Maltese Falcon but everyone's made the shorts sound fascinating, and dare I say, desirable. I'm curious what is on other discs that I would not have otherwise bought.

Anyone else think this would be a worthwhile endeaver?

Matt

#39 Post by Matt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:51 pm

milk114 wrote:Should there be a thread documenting the shorts that appear in Warner's Night at the Movies across titles?
That would be a great idea, if anyone's willing to take on the task. The Vitaphone Project newsletter is a good place to start for listings, but they don't have a nice, tidy list (though I've suggested it to them).

tryavna

#40 Post by tryavna » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:08 pm

davidhare wrote:but the comedy stuff is generally dated and appalling.
I think the Benchley shorts are the most notable exception to that generalization (though for the most part I agree with the generalization). I bought A Night at the Opera largely for the Benchley short. (Opera is a great film, but I can count on it being shown on TCM about four to five times a year.)

milk114

#41 Post by milk114 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:56 pm

So I bought the Collection today. I'll get to it this weekend and am willing to write something up on the Night at the Movies shorts.

If someone can setup a sticky maybe?

I also will do all three Film Noir series, the Gangster Collection and the Classic Comedy collection, unless someone will be faster and is willing to help. I know there's a lot of other collections out there that ya'll have so please help.

Matt

#42 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 pm

milk114 wrote:If someone can setup a sticky maybe?
Your wish is my command. Long live Jambi.

Antoine Doinel

#43 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:26 pm

Got this today. All in slimlines, but Maltese Falcon does not have its own slipcase.

Gigi M.

#44 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:44 pm

My first set came without the the Falcon slipcover. I emailed Amazon and they send me a replacement with the complete Falcon packaging. You should try the same.

jcelwin

#45 Post by jcelwin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:11 am

So, the proper maltese falcon case is just a slipcover over two slimpacks? Not a case holding the two?

Gigi M.

#46 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:55 am

That's correct.

Derek Estes

#47 Post by Derek Estes » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Are the discs in the new set in snappers or Keep-case?

souvenir

#48 Post by souvenir » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Derek Estes wrote:Are the discs in the new set in snappers or Keep-case?
Casablanca and Sierra Madre are in digipaks like the existing releases. High Sierra and They Live By Night are in thinpaks.

jcelwin

#49 Post by jcelwin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:39 am

Thanks, Gigi M.

kekid

#50 Post by kekid » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 pm

Gigi M. wrote:My first set came without the the Falcon slipcover. I emailed Amazon and they send me a replacement with the complete Falcon packaging. You should try the same.
The replacement I got from Amazon is exactly like the first set I got (both without the slip-case for Maltese Falcon). Is this a completely random phenomenon? Any suggestion on what I can do to get the correct version? Thanks in advance.