Fox Cinema Classics Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

Fox Cinema Classics Collection

#1 Post by Lino » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:18 pm

These were the first ones and here are the rest so far.

Lots more coming, according to this page.

tryavna

#2 Post by tryavna » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:34 pm

I must say that I've been very pleased with the way Fox re-packaged both Patton and The Longest Day. (Haven't picked up Tora! Tora! Tora!, but plan to soon.) The 1:30:00 docu on the second disc of Patton is really impressive -- understated and matter-of-fact, but far more intelligent and insightful that the typical "talking heads" featurette that seems to hold sway over at Warners.

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 am

Three more Cinema Classics have been announced for March, 6th. They are:Cinderella Liberty, John and Mary, Other Side of Midnight. Artwork here.

Gordon

#4 Post by Gordon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:11 pm

John & Mary looks beautifully photographed: review.

The Other Side of Midnight sounds laughable bad: review.

Being a firm admirer of DP Vilmos Zsigmond, I bought Cinderella Liberty and I loved it - great performances by James Caan, Marsha Mason and Eli Wallach. Looks like Vilmos flashed the negative as many of the bar interiors look like the interiors of McCabe and many of the exteriors utilise natural and available electric lighting with minimal fill lighting and it looks great! I believe that this is the first time that the film has been available on video in 2.35:1 (has it been shown on TV that way?) and I also wouldn't be surprised if the salty ("cock-teasing") and racist ("spook") dialogue and nudity were cut in the past in what is basically a family-friendly film. I love the The Last Detail (also based on Darryl Ponicsan's novel) and this works as a great companion piece. Rydell's commentary is pretty good (I'd love to see a SE of The Cowboys, btw) and it's great to see Zsigmond in the vintage on-set featurette!

HerrSchreck

#5 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 am

Interesting in light of the coming Raymond Bernard box with LES MIZ...:

CAPS

mogwai

#6 Post by mogwai » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:06 pm

According to Foxclassics, these are upcoming releases:

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Special Edition
An Affair to Remember - 50th Anniversary Edition
The Robe - Special Edition

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 pm

mogwai wrote:According to Foxclassics, these are upcoming releases:

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Special Edition
An Affair to Remember - 50th Anniversary Edition
The Robe - Special Edition
Great, more stuff they've already released in perfectly acceptable editions.

mogwai

#8 Post by mogwai » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:11 pm

My thoughts exactly. The previous releases seemed fine enough to me.

justeleblanc

#9 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:37 pm

mogwai wrote:My thoughts exactly. The previous releases seemed fine enough to me.
Well, not exactly. My current copy of the Wise has a scene where you can see the special effects wires, which wasn't in the VHS edition, and surely it wasn't in the theatrical.

tryavna

#10 Post by tryavna » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:13 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
mogwai wrote:My thoughts exactly. The previous releases seemed fine enough to me.
Well, not exactly. My current copy of the Wise has a scene where you can see the special effects wires, which wasn't in the VHS edition, and surely it wasn't in the theatrical.
You mean the wires helping Gort hold up Patricia Neal? Those have always been visible as far as I can remember (my dad having pointed them out to me when I first watched it with him on TV). The higher resolution of DVD probably makes the wires more noticeable than on VHS. I think Wise even mentions them in his commentary.

Matt

#11 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Yeah, it's not like they could have digitally erased them in 1951.

Gigi M.

#12 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:54 pm

This is also coming:

justeleblanc

#13 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:43 am

Gigi M. wrote:This is also coming
Having never seen this movie, this really looks like a fake DVD. Every aspect of the picture is slightly satirical.

Ah, and you're probably right about the wires. I assumed this may have been the wrong take that was used to make the DVD, but I stand corrected.

Antoine Doinel

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:35 am

Demetrius is overseeing one hell of an orgy.

barnyard078

#15 Post by barnyard078 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Could it be possible that this special edition of The Day the Earth Stood Still could simply be a repackaging, similar to the what they did with the Marilyn Monroe box, as well as apparently Demetrius and the Gladiators?

colinr0380

#16 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:16 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:Demetrius is overseeing one hell of an orgy.
Lions and tigers and bears. Oh my!

Gregory

#17 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 pm

The greaser in the ringer T-shirt and the woman in the green dress look like they showed up on the wrong stage -- not to mention that they're twice as large as the people fighting directed to the left. That's some of the best (as in amusing) cover art I've seen in a long time.

jesus the mexican boi

#18 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:33 pm

Gregory wrote:The greaser in the ringer T-shirt and the woman in the green dress look like they showed up on the wrong stage
if you look closely, you can make out the word "definitely" on the greaser's t-shirt...

Petty Bourgeoisie

#19 Post by Petty Bourgeoisie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:08 am

They make no mention of any remastering or restoration, plus extras might as well be nothing. Thus, I assume it will be the same transfer as the previous addition?

That cover is grotesque. Bad 80's animation!

starmanof51

#20 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm

It was nice of fox to launch their foxclassics site last summer, even nicer that there was a coming soon page that looked far in advanceFoxclassics.

At least, it was far in advance in July. As far as I can tell they haven't updated the page since they first posted it. Most of the stuff on it is now out, missing the point of the "Coming Soon" thing. If you're not going to maintain the site, or at least the coming soon page, just take it down Fox, because it's taken me eight months of checking back to accept that you're just not going to share anymore.

Jeff

#21 Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 pm

I wonder what a A Box of Ritz Crackers will contain...

Jeff

#23 Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 pm

Lino wrote:I wonder what a A Box of Ritz Crackers will contain...
The Ritz Brothers did at least half a dozen films for Fox, though their most famous ones (On the Avenue and The Three Musketeers) have already been released.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Dragonwyck is fantastic, I'm glad it's finally getting a R1 release, but why haven't they made a Gene Tierney set yet, at least half of her films haven't been released. Bundle China Girl, Never Let Me Go, and Son of Fury together for a "Gene Tierney Playing Another Race" set

Mr Sausage

#25 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:Dragonwyck is fantastic, I'm glad it's finally getting a R1 release, but why haven't they made a Gene Tierney set yet, at least half of her films haven't been released. Bundle China Girl, Never Let Me Go, and Son of Fury together for a "Gene Tierney Playing Another Race" set
Son of Fury is in the recent Fox Tyrone Power collection, and had a decent enough transfer from what I can remember.