Blade Runner: Director's Cut and Final Cut SEs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

#176 Post by dx23 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Well, I gave in to the HD with briefcase since it was the only deluxe set my local Borders brought in and I could use the 40% off coupon. Because of this, now I will go to my nearby Costco and purchase myself a Toshiba HD player which is on sale for $199.99.

Mr Sausage

#177 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:33 pm

denti alligator wrote:
Mr_sausage wrote:
denti alligator wrote:The briefcase HD is $60 more expensive and yet it has the same five discs. What does one get for those $60?
A bunch of superfluous crap inside plus another disc with the workprint cut of the film. They go over what's in each version in the digital bits link posted earlier on this page.
Both versions have the workprint. Both versions have 5 discs. $60 for "a bunch of superfluous crap" seems heavy.
For some reason I skipped over the fact you were talking about the HD discs. Just go here and scoll down to the pictures near the bottom (if they don't come up already) and you can see everything that comes in the briefcase.

patrick

#178 Post by patrick » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:06 am

atcolomb wrote:I bought the standard dvd briefcase from Borders at $47 plus tax and it's ok. I think it should have been more inside it like a book or the CD soundtrack. I wonder how many they will make or is it a limited edition?
All the briefcases are numbered, there should be a sticker on the bottom.

Andre Jurieu

#179 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:56 am

patrick wrote:
atcolomb wrote:I bought the standard dvd briefcase from Borders at $47 plus tax and it's ok. I think it should have been more inside it like a book or the CD soundtrack. I wonder how many they will make or is it a limited edition?
All the briefcases are numbered, there should be a sticker on the bottom.
Based on the sticker on the briefcase, they're apparently making 10,000 limited edition packages for the standard DVDs. Of course, they could always make more later.

Antoine Doinel

#180 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:06 pm

For what it's worth, Richard Roeper went out of his way to diss the briefcase packaging on "Ebert" & Roeper. Given the shelf space they take up and the limited market, I doubt this is something Warner's is going to re-press.

atcolomb

#181 Post by atcolomb » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:For what it's worth, Richard Roeper went out of his way to diss the briefcase packaging on "Ebert" & Roeper. Given the shelf space they take up and the limited market, I doubt this is something Warner's is going to repress.
It make take up some space like my Forbidden Planet or Star Wars tin boxsets but i think it will be a big seller for Warner Bros. and i give them credit for doing something different in selling DVDs

flyonthewall2983

#182 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:54 am

I bought the 4-disc today, and so far have made my way through the documentary and the Final Cut. I was very pleased with the Final Cut version of the film, in that it basically kept everything I liked about the '92 cut and corrected various mistakes that bled over from the original release.

The documentary is quite good, quite exhaustive of course. But I like that. A bit of a disappointment for me was that Vangelis was not interviewed, and that the music wasn't given more focus.

exte

#183 Post by exte » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:17 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:A bit of a disappointment for me was that Vangelis was not interviewed, and that the music wasn't given more focus.
Bastards. You would think, right? At least they got Harrison...

patrick

#184 Post by patrick » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:06 am

What was Roeper's problem with it? For what it's worth (and I mentioned this on the "impressive packaging" thread) I think it's pretty well thought out, especially since there's a digipak to hold the discs and you can just put the briefcase in the closet.

atcolomb

#185 Post by atcolomb » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 am

patrick wrote:What was Roeper's problem with it? For what it's worth (and I mentioned this on the "impressive packaging" thread) I think it's pretty well thought out, especially since there's a digipak to hold the discs and you can just put the briefcase in the closet.
I miss Gene Siskel..... :(

Antoine Doinel

#186 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 am

patrick wrote:What was Roeper's problem with it?
I wasn't paying close attention but I think he just disliked the geek factor of it and the general unwieldy nature of it. I recall his co-host for the week seemed to agree.

Doug Cummings

#187 Post by Doug Cummings » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:58 pm

exte wrote:Bastards. You would think, right? At least they got Harrison...
Reportedly, Vangelis turned them down rather than the reverse. Which isn't surprising, the man's nothing if not a recluse and generally refuses to discuss his work with anyone.

Taketori Washizu

#188 Post by Taketori Washizu » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:29 pm

The brief case release is a money making scam from Warner Bros. I picked up the four disc set instead. The reason why is that they release a stand alone five disc set for Blu-Ray and HD if you don't want the brief case. Yet for people like me who only have a standard player, if I want the fifth disc with the work print I have to pay extra for the Briefcase version because Warner won't release a stand alone five disc for SD. Talk about lame, corporate greed.

patrick

#189 Post by patrick » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:55 pm

I think calling it a "scam" is a bit much - it's either worth it to you or it's not, and it's not like Warner Brothers is forcing anyone to buy the Collector's Edition briefcase just to get the movie. The workprint pretty much only appeals to hardcore fans, just like the briefcase.

dx23

#190 Post by dx23 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:20 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
patrick wrote:What was Roeper's problem with it?
I wasn't paying close attention but I think he just disliked the geek factor of it and the general unwieldy nature of it. I recall his co-host for the week seemed to agree.
I think its ironic that the poster boy for "geek" image is criticizing the briefcase.

dx23

#191 Post by dx23 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:51 pm

According to this, the Ultimate 5-disc sets are now out of print.

Steven H

#192 Post by Steven H » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Great release! I've been watching all the extras and you really get familiar with the production. The documentary is filled to the brim with alternate shots and strange things going on in the background. You can also still smell some of the lingering controversy between the director, actors, and producers. I love it.

Can anyone comment on the Workprint version further? I only have the four disc (only?) so I'd like a better idea of what I'm missing (and how far out of my way I should go to see it.)

One thing is for sure, the Final Cut looks beautiful and just "feels" better than any other version. I almost didn't mind the "I want more life, father" thing.

flyonthewall2983

#193 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:46 am

It is stunning, isn't it? The changes are apparent, but it doesn't distract too much, a la Lucas.

One thing that really surprised me is that the commentary from the visual effects team and others didn't bore me to tears. What surprised me most was that most everyone on it, like Larry Paull and David Dryer, comment on the story and the performances rather than giving us just two hours of tech talk.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven H

#194 Post by Steven H » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:20 am

I listened to some of the commentary last night, and it *was* excellent. Hampton Fancher and David Peoples were hilarious, bickering and going back and forth about who wrote what, etc. Some really good insight into the film (it reminded me of the great Charade commentary with Stanley Donen and Peter Stone.) Ridley Scott's is also excellent, of course.

exte

#195 Post by exte » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:03 am

dx23 wrote:According to this, the Ultimate 5-disc sets are now out of print.
Kicked my ass in gear. Thanks. (wonder if it's a conspiracy!)

criterionsnob

#196 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:56 am

exte wrote:
Are all 5 disc sets out of print, or just the briefcase editions? This was one of the few titles I was going to wait to buy until I go HD.

dx23

#197 Post by dx23 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:01 am

criterionsnob wrote:
exte wrote:
Are all 5 disc sets out of print, or just the briefcase editions? This was one of the few titles I was going to wait to buy until I go HD.
Only the briefcase editions are OOP.

patrick

#198 Post by patrick » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Wouldn't it technically be out of print instantly since it's a limited edition? For what it's worth all the major e-tailers still seem to have them in stock.

I've just cracked the surface on mine and while it's an incredible set the packaging loses its charm rapidly - it really wouldn't have killed Warner Bros. to put a book in this thing.
Last edited by patrick on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

arsonfilms

#199 Post by arsonfilms » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Yeah, I mean... sure they won't be reprinting, but the "limited run" was 103,000, so it isn't as though its THAT rare.

I jumped on the briefcase, a little hesitant about the whole thing, but I have no regrets. It looks pretty badass sitting on my shelf.

patrick

#200 Post by patrick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:59 pm

I just finished watching Dangerous Days, it's definitely one of the best supplements of the last year - to the point where you could argue that it barely qualifies as a "supplement." However, I still have somewhat mixed feelings on it, just because I think the "talking heads" format makes it seem a bit too breezy and uncritical at times. Still, I appreciated that it was broken up into easily digestible chunks, and the segment on the visual effects was just brilliant.

I was kind of shocked to find out that Guillermo Del Toro loves the original cut with the voiceover - it was also nice to see him acknowledge the Criterion laserdisc.