Fritz Lang on DVD/Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
perkizitore

Re: Fritz Lang on DVD

#401 Post by perkizitore » Sun May 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Any reviews of the Odeon DVD of Hangmen Must Die? The transfer is supposedly from a restored print but have no idea how it compares to the German DVD.

FrauBlucher

#402 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun May 18, 2014 8:57 pm

I suspect that Cohen will release a Blu here in the states. I saw their restoration version not long ago. It looked terrific.
Here is a trailer from Cohen

TMDaines

#403 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Anyone know how the UK DVD of American Guerrilla In The Philippines shapes up in comparison to the alternatives? It was released by a label called Pegasus that I know nothing about.

perkizitore

#404 Post by perkizitore » Fri May 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Pegasus usually releases PD nightmares, so you should give this a pass.

Tuco

#405 Post by Tuco » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Matrixschmatrix:

Thanks for the update. My collection has John Ford's work represented pretty well (thanks to the recent $50 Ford at Fox deal), but then Herr Lang comes in second. Very much looking forward to HANGMEN ALSO DIE and MAN HUNT.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#406 Post by Drucker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:17 am

Matrix-Secret Beyond the Door also has a blu-ray from Carlotta.

HitchcockLang

#407 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:58 am

You and Me forthcoming from TCM? Since when?

matrixschmatrix

#408 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:32 am

Since Dark Crimes Vol. 2 was announced.

HitchcockLang

#409 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 am

So awesome. Pre-ordered! That was the last Lang not available on region 1.

Also, the Fox Archive of American Guerilla is already out and has been for months. You may want to take forthcoming out of your list. They also released Confirm or Deny which is another film Lang abandoned and Archie Mayo picked up. I believe Lang did even less work on it than Moontide. Maybe none but it is still of historical interest to Lang completists.
Last edited by HitchcockLang on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockysds

Re: Fritz Lang on DVD/Blu-ray

#410 Post by rockysds » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:10 am

Koch released Western Union in Germany. Though I haven't seen it myself yet.

matrixschmatrix

#411 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Just so everyone knows, the dvd/blu guide is now in the OP

rockysds

#412 Post by rockysds » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:47 am

Koch Media releasing The Return of Frank James on blu-ray in March.

Tommaso

#413 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:05 am

The new resto of "Der Müde Tod" gets a German dvd release by Murnau-Stiftung on March 11. No sign of a blu (yet).

HitchcockLang

#414 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 am

Kino is releasing BDs of both Spione and Woman in the Moon.

senseabove

#415 Post by senseabove » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:19 pm

In case anyone was hoping for it, KinoInsider said this morning:
We had acquired Liliom from an independent source and they don't have the film elements needed to create a respectable HD master.

black&huge

#416 Post by black&huge » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:50 pm

I have a question regarding Spione and Frau Im Mond's blu releases from MoC and Kino.

I know Kino fixed an AR issue for both in their Lang box but was that issue that the films were in 1.33:1 like the currently available MoC blus and they fixed em to 1.28:1 or was their AR issue different than MoC's?

That being said I looked at beaver's comparison's for both and it looks as if both labels have the same framing (no info lost or gained on any sides of the picture) but MoC is just stretched to which I barely noticed in the caps anyways.

I'd rather get the MoC's but do any of you see a huge issue with the differing AR's or if it's more noticeable/distracting in motion? Which versions should I go for?

denti alligator

#417 Post by denti alligator » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:31 pm

black&huge wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:50 pm
I have a question regarding Spione and Frau Im Mond's blu releases from MoC and Kino.

I know Kino fixed an AR issue for both in their Lang box but was that issue that the films were in 1.33:1 like the currently available MoC blus and they fixed em to 1.28:1 or was their AR issue different than MoC's?

That being said I looked at beaver's comparison's for both and it looks as if both labels have the same framing (no info lost or gained on any sides of the picture) but MoC is just stretched to which I barely noticed in the caps anyways.

I'd rather get the MoC's but do any of you see a huge issue with the differing AR's or if it's more noticeable/distracting in motion? Which versions should I go for?
I’m also curious about this. Anyone?

EddieLarkin

#418 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 pm

You've got it the wrong way round. The MoC discs are properly 1.33:1 but the Kino discs were originally squashed to 1.28:1. There's nothing wrong with the MoCs now nor was there before, so definitely go for those if they're your preference anyway.

Kino are rarely to be trusted with silent films, sadly.

ryannichols7

#419 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:06 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:53 pm
they are the kings of slapping English intertitles on there with no alternative. they've botched all licenses from FWMS - so please go for MOC on Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl and such as well too. Kino have defended all of these decisions on the other forum, nonetheless!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#420 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:29 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
You've got it the wrong way round. The MoC discs are properly 1.33:1 but the Kino discs were originally squashed to 1.28:1. There's nothing wrong with the MoCs now nor was there before, so definitely go for those if they're your preference anyway.

But didn't Kino fix that in their big Lang box? In which case that box might be an acceptable, more affordable option for someone that hasn't gotten either yet

Roscoe

#421 Post by Roscoe » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:50 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:29 pm
EddieLarkin wrote:

But didn't Kino fix that in their big Lang box? In which case that box might be an acceptable, more affordable option for someone that hasn't gotten either yet
Yes, Kino did fix the issues in their big Lang box, the announcement for which contained the first acknowledgement of the error having occurred (all the way at the very very very bottom of the announcement) -- they denied there was an issue, and stuck to their story, and never issued replacement copies.

I've got several Kino silent releases, and have been more than happy with most of them. Their releases of the other Lang silents were pretty well splendid, and that LAST LAUGH they put out is admirable too. But I always wait now to read reviews of their releases before purchasing.

hearthesilence

#422 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:21 am

I posted this in Kino's threads, but generally with silent films, it was a good rule of thumb to skip Kino and wait for an MoC reissue every single time. Three great exceptions to that rule: Der Golem where Kino did a better job of encoding (or MoC possibly did something incorrect, forgot which), Tartuffe because for some reason MoC used an old master while Kino used a new 4K restoration from the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation, and the recent Hitchcock set of the BFI's newly restored British silents simply because MoC hasn't licensed them (in fact, IIRC for some strange reason no British label has reissued these restorations on Blu-ray, not even the BFI).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#423 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:56 am

Considering you can get the Lang box for $75 or less if you wait long enough, it’s clearly the better deal by far and there are no red flags with any titles in the box

EddieLarkin

#424 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:37 am

As far as I know, some of the earlier titles in the Kino box are from their period of swapping out the German intertitles for their own English ones (Metropolis for sure it looks like). And you get the Kalat commentaries on the MoC discs, still some of the best commentaries committed to disc. But yes, the Kino box is the much cheaper option.

JakeStewart

#425 Post by JakeStewart » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:09 am

Clash By Night aired on TCM yesterday in what really looked like new scan. I’ve seen it numerous times over the years, and it’s never looked this good.