UHD and HDR in General

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: UHD and HDR in General

#51 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 pm

Gravity wasn’t already out on UHD?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#52 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 pm

I'd never want to watch it in anything other than 3D though

willoneill

#53 Post by willoneill » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 am

Batman v Superman is definitely already out in UHD.

hearthesilence

#54 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:11 am

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 pm
I think the resolution for the VFX shots (i.e. EVERY shot) was 2K on Gravity. Anyway, if 3D was an option with 4K, that would be cool, at least for specific films...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#55 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:18 am

Most of the film isn't even authentic 3D either. And yet...

hearthesilence

#56 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:33 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:18 am
Most of the film isn't even authentic 3D either. And yet...
In terms of the photography? That's far less of an issue when most of the elements are already parts of a composite, isn't it? That is, they're already isolated in their own virtual space rather than pried apart from a captured, flat image.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#57 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:37 am

I'm just cribbing this, which includes some pretty interesting information about 3D films in general

andyli

#58 Post by andyli » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 am

I thought A Clockwork Orange was definitely gonna come out from Criterion...

hearthesilence

#59 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:40 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:37 am
I'm just cribbing this, which includes some pretty interesting information about 3D films in general
Got it. Yeah, he says the same more or less: "My gripe is that the main characters, the people, were shot in 2D. However, this is a unique movie. Most of it takes place in space, where the suits were rendered in real 3D, with the faces super-imposed within the actual suit. So it's not inaccurate to say that 90% of it is real."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#60 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:14 am

willoneill wrote:Batman v Superman is definitely already out in UHD.
It is but the presentation is entirely 2.39. I guess the re-release will have a variable ratio à la Nolan.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#61 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 am

Is that what that is? I legit assumed it would be a compilation of random superhero fight scenes, with "select footage" meaning the stuff shot on IMAX for each film

EddieLarkin

#62 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:07 am

Snyder has made a big deal out of being able to present his cut of Justice League in the taller Imax ratios, so presumably he has pushed WB to re-release BvS with the taller ratio options as well.
hearthesilence wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:11 am
swo17 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 pm
I think the resolution for the VFX shots (i.e. EVERY shot) was 2K on Gravity. Anyway, if 3D was an option with 4K, that would be cool, at least for specific films...
The vast majority of modern films released on UHD were either shot in 2K or finished in 2K.

Ribs

#63 Post by Ribs » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:08 am

Firstly, think this makes more sense in the Warner Home Video thread then in this thread

Secondly, this is a fanmade image, not real. It's based on credible rumors, but that's all it is. It's weird this one image is getting a bunch of traction like it actually means anything.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#64 Post by tenia » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:24 am

EddieLarkin wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:07 am
Snyder has made a big deal out of being able to present his cut of Justice League in the taller Imax ratios, so presumably he has pushed WB to re-release BvS with the taller ratio options as well.
Star Trek Into Darkness, totally non Snyder-related, also was re-released on BD in 2014 (by Paramount) to include a new home video presentation of the movie that was including IMAX-format scenes (well, 1.78 scenes, which isn't IMAX nor even IMAX-digital, but still), after an first BD release in 2013 that only was 2.39.
The UHD, released more recently, only includes the 2.39/1.78 hybrid presentation.

I don't think it has so much to do with Snyder and the JLA's new cut, but rather simply a technical-marketing stunt that'll take advantage of the Snyder Cut release to re-release BvS, but with an added value to push sales.
EddieLarkin wrote:
The vast majority of modern films released on UHD were either shot in 2K or finished in 2K.
Finished in 2K, yes, shot in 2K, not so much.

However, the utmost majority of movies with 4K DIs have had their VFX done in 2K so are partially upscales anyway. Rogue One for instance was shot on Arri Alexa 65 in 6.5K and finished in 4K, but only 10% of it was mastered in 4K, the rest was downscaled to 2K for the VFX and then up-resed again to 4K, meaning only 10% of the DI is native 4K and not a downscale-upscale work. Same goes for The Last Jedi, which was shot in a mixture of 35mm and 65mm film and a mixture of Arri Alexa 65, Alexa Mini and Alexa XT (hence a mixture of 6.5K, 3.4K and 2.8K), finished in 4K, but all the vfx were done in 2048x1716 anamorphic (so I guess then also up-resed again at 4k afterwards).

While I read that Netflix Originals are true 4k workflows (ie even VFX, grading, etc are done in 4K), I think the movie productions that have followed a start-to-finish 4K workflows can probably be counted with one hand (Gone Girl being the most famous of them).

captveg

#65 Post by captveg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:41 pm

tenia wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:24 am
EddieLarkin wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness, totally non Snyder-related, also was re-released on BD in 2014 (by Paramount) to include a new home video presentation of the movie that was including IMAX-format scenes (well, 1.78 scenes, which isn't IMAX nor even IMAX-digital, but still), after an first BD release in 2013 that only was 2.39.
The UHD, released more recently, only includes the 2.39/1.78 hybrid presentation.

I don't think it has so much to do with Snyder and the JLA's new cut, but rather simply a technical-marketing stunt that'll take advantage of the Snyder Cut release to re-release BvS, but with an added value to push sales.
There's also a minor coloring mistake Snyder noticed when reviewing the film recently (he stated the source of the error was some "technical snafu"). The Ultimate Edition cut of BvS has never been released with its IMAX scenes AR intact, so the promotional tie-in likely made a ton of sense. It's sure to sell well on the format, even from those who already have the previous UHD release.

captveg

#66 Post by captveg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:53 pm

In regards for the titles, the only ones I likely won't get are Space Jam and Gravity, the latter only because I always watch it in 3D.

I haven't seen ZSJL yet obviously, but I think the chances of me not liking Snyder's version of that film are pretty low.

hearthesilence

#67 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:52 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Yeah, it's a bummer, but at least there have been some attempts to "future-proof" things, albeit a very uneven one. I remember six years ago, when Amazon finally made an effort to produce better quality shows (or at least shows with bigger production values) in order to compete with Netflix, I think it was their policy to create true HDR 4K masters in addition to the HD masters that were initially streamed on Amazon even though the market for viewing anything in that format didn't exist yet. So who knows, maybe we'll be surprised - a lot more studio films shot digitally were in 4K rather than 2K so the potential's there.

EddieLarkin

#68 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm

I didn't actually mean it as a negative per se. I don't think it matters. I've compared a few UHDs of modern films that were from fully native 4K digital sources (or near as can be) against their BD equivalents using the same sources and the difference in detail from even a fairly close viewing distance is pretty minimal (shot on film stuff is a bit of a different story). In fact, I wouldn't say the increase in detail offered is noticeably any different when comparing "just" 2K sourced stuff. It seems to me digital filmmaking kinda taps out at 2K, which is why pretty much everything destined for cinemas rather than streaming platforms is still finished at that resolution and likely always will be: the small difference doesn't come close to making up for the added expense.

HDR (and WCG) are of course what make the format and what will almost certainly result in the Gravity UHD crapping all over the (2D) BD, despite its 2K origins.

Also, a 2K source on UHD does in fact have 4x as much chroma resolution as the same source on BD owing to 4:2:0 sub sampling. So thinking of 2K on UHD and 2K on BD as the "same" resolution wouldn't be strictly correct. 2K on a BD has it's chroma rez cut down to 960x540, whereas full 1920x1080 chroma can be maintained on UHD.

RitrovataBlue

#69 Post by RitrovataBlue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:50 pm

andyli wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 am
I thought A Clockwork Orange was definitely gonna come out from Criterion...
Warner isn't letting any of the bigger Kubrick titles go. They've been releasing Kubrick 4Ks annually, and I don't expect them to stop here. I'm just hoping they get to Eyes Wide Shut, the Kubrick film I'd like to see most on 4K.

dwk

#70 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm

I could see Criterion releasing Lolita, which is one of the two Kubrick titles that WB could never be bothered to create special features for. (Barry Lyndon is, of course ,the other one and Criterion did rectify that.)

eerik

#71 Post by eerik » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:17 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:39 pm
I'm not sure where to post this but here are some of the titles that Warner Bros will be releasing in 4K UHD later this year:
That's a fake from reddit. Some of those titles are rumoured, though.

flyonthewall2983

#72 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:05 pm

How many 4K discs have all of the extras on the same disc as the feature, such as the case is with the Arrow releases of Crash and King of New York?

senseabove

#73 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:04 pm

Just found out that But I'm a Cheerleader got a digital-only 4k UHD release—with new extras, including a director's commentary, that are only available when purchased via AppleTV. I can't decide if it's weirder that this got a 4k UHD scan at all or that it didn't get any physical release, not even a blu-ray, but I hope digital-only releases with platform-specific extras isn't a trend that catches on...

therewillbeblus

#74 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:10 pm

That's a shame, I'd preorder that film on blu in a heartbeat, and I know several people who have been waiting for it to get a physical upgrade for ages.. for such a cult film, this has got to stir the pot a bit

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#75 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:04 pm
Just found out that But I'm a Cheerleader got a digital-only 4k UHD release—with new extras, including a director's commentary, that are only available when purchased via AppleTV. I can't decide if it's weirder that this got a 4k UHD scan at all or that it didn't get any physical release, not even a blu-ray, but I hope digital-only releases with platform-specific extras isn't a trend that catches on...
This is definitely happening here or there. Frankly difficult to blame studios, as the UHD disc version probably couldn't be approved for profit reasons, but if you're the filmmaker or producer who just wants to see the best presentation and features get out there, I suppose there are worse ways to slip it past the goalie. The alternative would be it never seeing the light of day, period, or getting a handful of theatrical presentations a year.