Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kidc85

Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

#1 Post by kidc85 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Absolutely no idea where to put this thread considering that it's going to be discussing both old and new films, but I thought it might be good to have somewhere to discuss some of the crowd-funding projects around at the moment (and you can generally get a DVD of the project assuming you fund enough, so this forum sorta fits).

The project for remastering LA CIUDAD has already reached its target with about 18 days to go. It needed funding because of New Yorker Films' demise.

Michael Apted wants some money to make his third MARRIED IN AMERICA film because "programming priorities have changed among the cable networks".

Dario Argento has a project asking for funds for his new Iggy Pop-starring SANDMAN film because "Dario is a director who must be given free rein!" or something. It's almost tempting before I remember that he hasn't made anything close to a good film in 20 years and his last film was a ridiculously hideous green-screen mess.

But still, at least it's not this.

kidc85

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#2 Post by kidc85 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:04 pm

David Cross is releasing his film HITS Radiohead-style in a BitTorrent, pay-what-you-want fashion and is asking for $100k so that he can rent some theatres to play it in (and also so he can operate the pay-what-you-want scheme). It sounds a really interesting plan and is getting pretty good funding but I don't know how much that's due to the film (which looks passable) as opposed to the silly rewards offered (including Cross' shaved beard hair).

Slightly odder, Jemaine Clement's really well reviewed WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS has come, cap in hand, for an eye-watering $400k. Not amazingly sure why they need/want to do this, could they really not get an okay distribution deal?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:20 pm

It's one thing to crowdfund for a film to get made, but for distribution? It seems so crazy to me that someone would shell out money to assist with a movie's distribution if they're getting nothing in return if the movie does well.

PfR73

#4 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:04 pm

I agree, this doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't the point that people should be paying to actually see the film, not paying for distribution so that then they can pay again to actually see the film? If you were getting to see the film at the $5 or $10 level, it'd make more sense like a presale, but you have to shell out more than a ticket price for either film. And these are films by very well known actors, so I'm confused as to why they can't upfront the funds or get a loan. I didn't have to contribute to a fund for David Lynch when he self-distributed Inland Empire; I bought a ticket to the screening. I really liked both of these films, but this bothers me.

TMDaines

#5 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Insane. Hope it bombs, even though this a film I'm anticipating and will watch. Can't see why anyone will back this – what sort of deal is it?! – but lots of fools will be separated from their money.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#6 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Presumably it's worth it to some people to get to meet Jemaine Clement. (I've had the pleasure for free--he was affable enough, but seemed to have designs on my wife...or was it the other way around? 8-[ )

solaris72

#7 Post by solaris72 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:35 pm

I remember the adaptation of Radio Free Albemuth did a kickstarter for distribution ($85k solicited, $92k raised) also; I thought that was kind of nuts. Plus it didn't reflect terribly well on the film- given the general popularity of Philip K. Dick adaptations, if it actually had merit they should've been able to attract some sort of arthouse distribution. (Trailer looked pretty bad too.) And they had a $10k donor level. If you give someone $10,000 to distribute their movie, they shouldn't get an autographed copy of the script, they should get a cut of the fucking profits. That's called an "investor". (I know kickstarter doesn't allow such a thing of course.)

kidc85

#8 Post by kidc85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:31 am

Yep, I agree with everything that's been said about WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS. Everything about it is so inexplicably awful, from what they're asking for (maybe there's a really sound idea behind it - I wouldn't know, there's bugger all explanation for it on their page) to the dreadful rewards that punish the supporters (who are most definitely paying over the odds* - $50 for an unsigned DVD!) that I've become mildly obsessed with checking on its progress. The data on Kicktraq isn't convincing either way, but it's telling that the overwhelming majority of funds came in two single days ($83k).

* except for the meet-and-greet stuff which is difficult to put a value on. Having a "personal audio message" sounds fun, maybe not $250 fun, but at least you're actually getting something.

Anyway, Christopher Doyle is making a trilogy of short films about the general state of HK/the Occupy movement. Or something, I hate the way the page is written...
We realized then that her questions have no answers, but asking these questions are what film is all about. What makes our film special is HOW we made it… a process of finding the film by asking these questions… a less AUTEUR way of looking at the world, and hopefully a more REAL and DEMOCRATIC one.

Emak-Bakia

#9 Post by Emak-Bakia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:48 pm

Oscilloscope is trying to raise some money for a 2K restoration of Kelly Reichardt's first feature, River of Grass. Seems like a cause worth supporting! I just wish they would add blu-rays of the film as one of the rewards.
Last edited by Emak-Bakia on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:21 am

I'll support this, but they're going to restore it in 2K and then only release it on DVD?

Emak-Bakia

#11 Post by Emak-Bakia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:41 am

Yeah, it does seem odd. I sent them a message asking if there are plans for a blu, so I'll certainly report back if I hear anything.

Oscilloscope

#12 Post by Oscilloscope » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:56 am

Hey Guys. Thanks for your interest in the project.

We were stilling getting some ducks in a row and figuring things out. A blu-ray reward has now been added to the campaign page.

Let us know if you have any questions,
O-Scope

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#13 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:08 pm

Sold!

Emak-Bakia

#14 Post by Emak-Bakia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks, Oscilloscope, for the swift response to my email and to this posting! I just backed at the blu-ray level. $20,000 seems like a modest goal, so I don't have any doubts that you'll get there. Should you get past that, any ideas for stretch goals?

EddieLarkin

#15 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Only ships to: United States

Eh. So, will the Blu-ray be available via normal commercial means after the campaign?

Oscilloscope

#16 Post by Oscilloscope » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Only ships to: United States

Eh. So, will the Blu-ray be available via normal commercial means after the campaign?
We need to be cognizant of rights holders. We have opened shipping up to Canada and the European Union.

Where are you located?

O-Scope

EddieLarkin

#17 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:06 pm

The EU. Thanks!

EddieLarkin

#18 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm

German label Subkultur request funds to restore Blutiger Freitag, via Kickstarter, for release in North America.

The Blu-ray will only be available through the campaign according to the page.

A

#19 Post by A » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:46 pm

^The campaign to release a decent HD master of BLUTIGER FREITAG seems to be going well so far.

But as I understood there will be a regular Blu-ray release of the film if this campaign is successful. The campaign aims to raise money for exactly that purpose, I believe.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 pm

movielocke

#22 Post by movielocke » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:19 pm

One of my good friends started a kick starter for his movie. He used to question my sanity for buying dvds and blurays and going to theatres rather than burning copies of Netflix discs or torrenting.

Yet he somehow thinks he should be paid for his work when he himself has refused to pay for others' work and has actively stolen work for more than a decade?

captveg

#23 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:22 pm

movielocke wrote:One of my good friends started a kick starter for his movie. He used to question my sanity for buying dvds and blurays and going to theatres rather than burning copies of Netflix discs or torrenting.

Yet he somehow thinks he should be paid for his work when he himself has refused to pay for others' work and has actively stolen work for more than a decade?
Yeah, I've run across a lot of that type of hypocrisy in the industry.

Adam X

#24 Post by Adam X » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 am

J.R. Bookwalter's The Dead Next Door ultimate 3-disc edition.
Like some other's, this one seems doomed to failure due to lack of promotion, though unlike some, the 3-disc set is a certainty - it's the additional stuff listed below that'll be missed out on. Only 4 days left and slowly creeping toward the half way mark.

Features Pending Until Funding Goal Met
Alternate 5.1 Surround Mix with Original Cast (first time ever!)
All-new 2015 look at the 2K restoration
Color booklet with liner notes by FANGORIA Managing Editor Michael Gingold and behind-the-scenes photos
Early Super-8mm Zombie Short Films presented in 1080p HD from 2K film scan, moved to Disc 1 (Blu-ray)

kidc85

#25 Post by kidc85 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:54 am

There have been a couple of interesting failures recently.

Abel Ferrara managed to raise less than 5% for SIBERIA, whilst Frederick Wiseman is sure not to reach his funding goal for IN JACKSON HEIGHTS with less than 25% raised and a day to go.

I can't say I'm sad to see Wiseman fail: $30 for access to a streaming copy with a 10 day limit feels scummy.