Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Feego

Re: Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

#201 Post by Feego » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:32 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 am
Have any of the Movie Club titles gotten a general release afterward? I'm asking specifically with an interest in The Black Hole. Seem to be one of the only people who enjoyed this film as a kid these days.
It appears that the DVD edition of The Story of Robin Hood received a general release in 2009 after its limited Disney Club run in 2006, but that's all I know of. I don't believe any Blu-ray exclusives have received general release so far.

Adam X

#202 Post by Adam X » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 am

That's what I figured. Thanks Feego.

willoneill

#203 Post by willoneill » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm

It's not a "general release" in the manner that you're refering to, but the Cool Runnings blu-ray is now available as a reward at disneymovierewards.com, which you don't need to be a member of DMC to use.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#204 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am

Boosmahn

#205 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:07 pm

Blu-ray releases are safe, right?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#206 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Maybe? I mean, I don't know what would be stopping them from limiting those too.

Grand Wazoo

#207 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 pm

I've assumed once existing license agreements/print runs are through, they'll all start disappearing from retailers but showing up on the streaming service.

agnamaracs

#208 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm

And what about MGM? The article mentioned The Princess Bride. Is that why all those Shout releases went out of print?

FlickeringWindow

#209 Post by FlickeringWindow » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:32 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm
And what about MGM? The article mentioned The Princess Bride. Is that why all those Shout releases went out of print?
Fox probably still has the theatrical rights, as they handled the original release.

Reverend Drewcifer

#211 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Here's hoping that they appeal to the better angels of our nature and composite Daryl Hannah's hair over all the naughty bits.

Luke M

#213 Post by Luke M » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm

I don't see how that completely vague statement "raises hopes that lots more Disney/Fox golden oldies might still get the 4K Blu-ray treatment" but to each their own.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#214 Post by tenia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:42 pm

It doesn't. Disney is the most timid studio when it comes to UHD and all this is doing is claiming they'll keep releasing timidly some stuff but are not stopping UHD releases altogether. Anything else is basically pure guess, especially regarding the Fox catalogue, which has been more thoroughly released on UHD (but also on BD). Will its HD and UHD exploitation get down in frequency to what Disney has been doing with their historical catalogue, or will they keep the pace and only be timid with Disney stuff ?

EddieLarkin

#215 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Fox had already dropped to Disney levels of not bothering with UHD even before the takeover. In 2016 they released 12 UHDs, but then only managed 15 in 2017, 2018 and 2019 combined. Since the Disney takeover, Home Alone is the sole UHD to be announced. Compared to Sony and Universal, easily the two most prolific UHD backers, Fox comes up very short.

Jeff Wells had a more hopeful take on the whole thing after The Digital Bits made their initial claim:
HE to Connected Industry Guy: “What have you heard about this ‘Disney jettisoning 4K physical media’ thing? Not just Disney but the entire Fox library. Sounds like a big deal.”

Connected Industry Guy to HE: “I wouldn’t be too concerned about this. I’d bet they’ve yet to fully evaluate the situation. They have a superb exec in Schawn Belston, who is quite able to lead them to proper potential 4K IP in the Fox library. There’s very little in the Disney library that’s actually 4K fodder. Most of the Fox IP that would be interesting is large format, so low in numbers. The situation needs to jell a bit.”

Ribs

#216 Post by Ribs » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Almost as though waiting for Blu-ray.com to go down for a week so as few people as possible found out, Disney have quietly relaunched the Movie Club exclusives line with Blu-rays of The Black Cauldron and Valiant.

beamish14

#217 Post by beamish14 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm
Almost as though waiting for Blu-ray.com to go down for a week so as few people as possible found out, Disney have quietly relaunched the Movie Club exclusives line with Blu-rays of The Black Cauldron and Valiant.

I'm not holding my breath for fresh special features on The Black Cauldron (although I was stunned that its anniversary DVD does include a lengthy, albeit incomplete, scene), or finally being able to watch its makers intended cut of it. It's well-known that executive shake-ups in Hollywood lead to new regimes trying to bury or desecrate what the previous ones made, but that film is a truly exceptional example of a work being mauled by idiots who just don't understand animation and failed to recognize its artistic value.

Still waiting on Something Wicked This Way Comes, which was radically changed after test screenings, but that excised footage still exists as well. It's not even on Disney+

Orlac

#218 Post by Orlac » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 am

I'm quite fond of The Black Cauldron. I wonder if we'll ever see a new adaptaton of the novels.

jazzo

#219 Post by jazzo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:02 am

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 pm
Ribs wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm

I'm not holding my breath for fresh special features on The Black Cauldron (although I was stunned that its anniversary DVD does include a lengthy, albeit incomplete, scene), or finally being able to watch its makers intended cut of it. It's well-known that executive shake-ups in Hollywood lead to new regimes trying to bury or desecrate what the previous ones made, but that film is a truly exceptional example of a work being mauled by idiots who just don't understand animation and failed to recognize its artistic value.

Still waiting on Something Wicked This Way Comes, which was radically changed after test screenings, but that excised footage still exists as well. It's not even on Disney+
My Disney grail is Never Cry Wolf, also not on Disney +

The film is just gorgeous; quiet and oddly experimental at times. Even its very dated DVD transfer held my children rapt. But I guess Charles Martin Smith's wang-flapping is too much for the Mulan fans.

JSC

#220 Post by JSC » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:46 am

My Disney grail is Never Cry Wolf, also not on Disney +

The film is just gorgeous; quiet and oddly experimental at times. Even its very dated DVD transfer held my children rapt. But I guess Charles Martin Smith's wang-flapping is too much for the Mulan fans.
Same here. I still have Anchor Bay's 2000 release of the film, so I've now been waiting twenty years for an HD upscale.

Maybe Disney doesn't approve of the fact that:
SpoilerShow
The main character takes to eating mice

PfR73

#221 Post by PfR73 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:51 am

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 pm
I'm not holding my breath for fresh special features on The Black Cauldron (although I was stunned that its anniversary DVD does include a lengthy, albeit incomplete, scene)
I have never seen a Disney Movie Club release include any special features, even existing legacy features, so I expect this Black Cauldron release will be barebones.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#222 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:10 am

I wonder if it will be spared the somewhat revisionist rescans of the cels of the main market DIsney animated films? It might actually look better depending on how you feel about that practice

beamish14

#223 Post by beamish14 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:43 am

Orlac wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 am
I'm quite fond of The Black Cauldron. I wonder if we'll ever see a new adaptaton of the novels.

Disney actually re-optioned Lloyd Alexander's Prydain works a number of years ago, so I have no doubt they might become fodder for a new TV series or film franchise.

I'm a huge fan of Never Cry Wolf as well. I'd love to see a stacked disc like what Criterion did for Ballard's The Black Stallion. Luminous, incredibly life-affirming film.

captveg

#224 Post by captveg » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Orlac wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 am
There's been rumors of a new adapation being considered at Disney for over a decade. Seems like a perfect Disney+ project to me, but they may not consider the IP worthy of development when they have dozens of Star Wars and Marvel shows on the service.

EddieLarkin

#225 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:59 pm

Too bad this isn't a UHD, as the film is available on Disney+ in a stunning 4K HDR version (along with Sword in the Stone, the only two pre-90s classics to get such treatment) that has a more authentic grain structure than anything I've ever seen from Disney before. Hopefully the BD will use the same transfer but there's little chance it's going to look as good as the streaming version (there are webrips of it available, which naturally have a far more consistent bitrate than the actual streamed version will offer).