Dances With Wolves

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
punkrocker27ka

Dances With Wolves

#1 Post by punkrocker27ka » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 am

I recently purchased the Dances With Wolves Collectors Edition DVD. This is a two disc set. The first DVD is a flip disc, common with many older Warner brothers titles. The top side is the 1st half of the movie, and the bottom side is the 2nd half of the movie, also with some special features including an old featurette on the making of the movie. The 2nd disc is labeled Special Features, and this disc is supposed to include a brand new documentary on the making of the film, as well as other features too. But this "special features" disc is the exact same thing as the bottom side of the flip disc dvd. It contains the second half of the movie, as well as a few making-of's. I was wondering if anybody else has purchased this dvd and if they have the same defect?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:34 am

Your bigger problem was posting about this title on this board. However, allow me to temper my tiresome snobbery by pointing you in the right direction: Try over at the DVD Talk Forums.

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:33 am

Domino, you should equip yourself with a fucking crash helmet wired into your typing fingers on one hand and triggering electric drills which grind into your molar fillings on the other... prompted by bull shit like the above... to make sure we never never ever hear you bug anyone again for busting on someone's opinion via "everybody has a right to speak" internet-flagwaving-- for someone who posts little else but goof-o-matic one-liners, you're turning into one major fucking troll dude.

colinr0380

Re: Dances With Wolves: 2-Disc Collectors Edition

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:54 am

punkrocker27ka wrote:I recently purchased the Dances With Wolves Collectors Edition DVD. This is a two disc set. The first DVD is a flip disc, common with many older Warner brothers titles. The top side is the 1st half of the movie, and the bottom side is the 2nd half of the movie, also with some special features including an old featurette on the making of the movie. The 2nd disc is labeled Special Features, and this disc is supposed to include a brand new documentary on the making of the film, as well as other features too. But this "special features" disc is the exact same thing as the bottom side of the flip disc dvd. It contains the second half of the movie, as well as a few making-of's. I was wondering if anybody else has purchased this dvd and if they have the same defect?
domino might drum me out of the forum for saying this :wink: but I've got that edition and my copy has the 80 minute documentary on the stand alone disc. If you have that second disc with the same second half of the film on it, it does sound like there was an error somewhere when they made the extra features disc. I can definitely attest to mine being correct though, so it might be a case of russian roulette with some being correct and some not - either that or when they repressed the disc they made a mistake (I got mine as soon as it came out)

I love Dances With Wolves, even if its success did have the unfortunate side effect of validating Costner's stardom to some extent! OK, so it probably didn't deserve all the Oscars in a face-off with Goodfellas but then that's the Academy's fault of always choosing the safer of two great films when given the choice!

punkrocker27ka

#5 Post by punkrocker27ka » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:22 am

thank you very much for your reply. i was worried that they were all made defectively. but i guess i will just go back to Borders and try to convince them to give me a new one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Domino, you should equip yourself with a fucking crash helmet wired into your typing fingers on one hand and triggering electric drills which grind into your molar fillings on the other... prompted by bull shit like the above... to make sure we never never ever hear you bug anyone again for busting on someone's opinion via "everybody has a right to speak" internet-flagwaving-- for someone who posts little else but goof-o-matic one-liners, you're turning into one major fucking troll dude.
What in the world... Shreck, you need to get off my jock, you've been rallying against me in several threads now-- my post was pretty clearly made in jest, as evidenced by how I was 1: self-aware and joking about the snobbery displayed and 2: I linked him to a forum were hundreds of people likely owned that disc and could help him. I'm sure this will get another histrionic reply from the forum's resident Pynchon, but lighten up

dx23

#7 Post by dx23 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:24 pm

By the way, the Dances with Wolves release is from MGM not WB, like the OP mentioned above. Borders may exchange with no issue if you get a freindly manager at the store.

HerrSchreck

#8 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:51 am

domino harvey wrote:What in the world... Shreck, you need to get off my jock, you've been rallying against me in several threads now--
Act like a dick and get caught in a zipper, numbnuts.

Kinsayder

#9 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:15 am

I'm having a similar problem with the Waterworld Collectors Edition. Scenes and characters keep popping up at random with no sense of organisation or meaning. I think I must have a faulty DVD. It's not a flip disc but I tried it upside down anyway, and that was an improvement. Someone on IMDb says it's the best movie ever made, so I know there can't be a problem with the film itself.

jt

#10 Post by jt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:06 am

Kinsayder wrote:I'm having a similar problem with the Waterworld Collectors Edition. Scenes and characters keep popping up at random with no sense of organisation or meaning. I think I must have a faulty DVD. It's not a flip disc but I tried it upside down anyway, and that was an improvement. Someone on IMDb says it's the best movie ever made, so I know there can't be a problem with the film itself.
That's just mean...

(funny though...)

aox

Dances with Wolves (Costner, 1990)

#11 Post by aox » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 am

Dances with Wolves has been announced for Blu Ray. Coming in January.

It appears to only be the Extended Cut (Which I felt was superior to the Theatrical). I wish they did something similar to the recent Apocalypse Now release with seamless branching. No reason not to include two cuts.
Blu-ray on 1/11/11 (SRP $29.99 each). Dances with Wolves will be the extended cut of the film, with 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio. Most of the previous DVD extras will be included on these Blu-rays, along with newly-produced material. I'll have a more detailed list of the contents for you tomorrow.
Someone else brought up a good point though. Since this is MGM and they are struggling, will this release get an attention in terms of remastering? Do they have any money to pour into this release? Some "newly produced material" seems like they might. How is MGM's track record on BD?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Dances with Wolves (Costner, 1990)

#12 Post by Brian C » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 am

It's an MGM title, but this will be for all intents and purposes a Fox release, right?

As for other MGM BDs ... I have the Fargo, Raging Bull and Princess Bride discs, and they all look fine to me.

aox

#13 Post by aox » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, I forgot about Raging Bull. It looks really great.

flyonthewall2983

#14 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Semi-related, but has anyone seen the documentary that recently aired on the PBS series Independent Lens about the portrayal of Native Americans in American film called Reel Injun? It was quite fascinating, especially how popular the subject was at the infancy of the medium.

Mr Sausage

#15 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:02 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Semi-related, but has anyone seen the documentary that recently aired on the PBS series Independent Lens about the portrayal of Native Americans in American film called Reel Injun? It was quite fascinating, especially how popular the subject was at the infancy of the medium.
Yep, I went to a screening that had a Q&A with the director. I was particularly struck by the radical shift from the early and somewhat positive portrayal of Native Americans as the noble savage to the subsequent portrayal of them as just plain savage. And for a fan of John Ford's work, the movie really forces you to view his films from a somewhat unsettling perspective.

I was impressed with the level of analysis the interview subjects gave on the historical presentation of, and fascination with, Pocahontas, epitomized in the Disney portrayal; but I was disappointed the movie didn't address The New World aside from showing a quick clip during a montage, because I think Malick's film has a genuinely interesting and subtle perspective on the Pocahontas character, as well as on the relationship between the natives and the settlers in general. No doubt part of my disappointment was because I adore that movie and naturally want it to get the most attention.

Some of the casual racism was bracing, especially in the Bugs Bunny cartoon, where he tallies the "Injuns" he's killed and removes half a point because one was only a "half-breed." That clip inspired quite a bit of defensive laughter.

Person

#16 Post by Person » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:02 am

Does Reel Injun focus on Windwalker with Trevor Howard which was filmed in Cheyenne and Crow languages? Howard is amazing in that film, I feel.

Mr Sausage

#17 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 pm

It may have been mentioned (along with a host of other films), but I don't recall it being focused on.

aox

Re: Dances With Wolves

#18 Post by aox » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 am

manicsounds

#19 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 am

No one has come across it on these boards (attention goes to other films instead), but this is another one of those Insignia/Sherwood etc problematic titles. I've read with some others like Samsung and Panasonic even had problems. Disc 2 seems fine, but when you play the SD featurettes and making-of materials, the video shrinks down to 1/6 of the size of the screen to the top left corner. Also mentioned on DVDBeaver.

Apparently, a firmware update if available fixes it, but it's pretty obvious that most people will not be doing that....

As for the film, probably the first time I watched it all the way through (not counting watching during school, and sleeping mostly) and I found it to be absolutely wonderful. 4 hours went by very easily watching this.

aox

#20 Post by aox » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35 am

Just a heads up. The original theatrical cut is streaming on Netflix (180 minutes), and in HD. I haven't watched it and am just going on Netflix info.

captveg

#21 Post by captveg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Warner also released the Theatrical cut on Blu-ray in Europe, which is region free.