Ken Russell on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:18 pm

I'm thinking of The Music Lovers, The Devils, The Boyfriend, Savage Messiah, Mahler, Lisztomania and Valentino.

savage messiah: A Ken Russell site by Iain Fisher

These are all amazing pieces of work and some of the most brave british films of the 20th Century. And they still are not out on DVD after all these years. Why? I know this is a rethorical question as there are hundreds of titles that could be included on such a list but I was hoping that MGM started putting them out (the ones they own) after their excellent release of Women in Love.

BTW, any progress on that The Devils DVD from Warner?

Subbuteo

#2 Post by Subbuteo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:18 pm

Annie Mall wrote:These are all amazing pieces of work and some of the most brave british films of the 20th Century.
Annie, I know I'm English, but I am at a loss as to why you consider these titles so important. Can you elucidate?

justeleblanc

#3 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:34 pm

I completely agree, Ken Russel is an overlooked cinemaster.

Lino

#4 Post by Lino » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Subbuteo, it is I who am at loss as to why you don't consider his films significant. Or are you part of that lot of people who regard his films as merely filled with shock value and with little content?

Granted, his films are mainly visual but when I look at his version of Women in Love for instance I can see that this is a man with a clear and strong vision of what he wants us to see and has the sufficient talent to make it come across quite effectively through the screen.

Well, so he did make some over-the-top ones (Tommy and Lisztomania come to mind) but he nevertheless was always very creative and one of the things that really makes me feel very strong about him is that you can clearly see his pleasure in making movies - it really comes through to you if you're open enough to let him wow you!

But in the end, I think it's his very british eccentricity that I feel fond for - I mean, I can't imagine an american director making his kind of films! ;)

yoshimori

#5 Post by yoshimori » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:50 pm

they still are not out on DVD
DEVILS

ellipsis7

#6 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:57 pm

Early (TV) Ken Russell classic ELGAR is available on DVD from bfi, with KR commentary...

justeleblanc

#7 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:35 pm

You'd think Anchor Bay would release Russel's works, it seems right up their alley. Criterion probably wont touch em.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#8 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:58 pm

I remember hearing from someone who was in the loop with Warner Brothers that they were actually working on DVDs of every Ken Russell film they controlled, in order to release them all at once. This would include "The Devils," "The Boyfriend," "Savage Messiah" and "Lisztomania," plus possibly a new SE of "Altered States."

The bad news: the tentative plan at that point was to have theam ready for release in March or April '06. So there's still going to be some time left to wait.

-BJ

Lino

#9 Post by Lino » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:15 am

yoshimori, I think that link you provided is a bit dubious as is this one too.

So far, I haven't read any official announcement of this one and it's likely that those two retailers are offering something that is still not for sale. I haven't contacted either to know this for sure but I guess I will now just to get to the bottom of it.
You'd think Anchor Bay would release Russel's works, it seems right up their alley. Criterion probably wont touch em.
I disagree. It's not the first time that Criterion includes some outrageous films in their collection and I can't see them stopping now (nor wish them to, either!).
I remember hearing from someone who was in the loop with Warner Brothers that they were actually working on DVDs of every Ken Russell film they controlled, in order to release them all at once. This would include "The Devils," "The Boyfriend," "Savage Messiah" and "Lisztomania," plus possibly a new SE of "Altered States."
News of the month to me! Wow! That will be amazing if it comes through!
The bad news: the tentative plan at that point was to have theam ready for release in March or April '06. So there's still going to be some time left to wait.
I don't mind. At least I've got something to look forward to next year! :) Now, if only MGM jumped on the bandwagon and released Women in Love (already available) with The Music Lovers and Valentino (and somehow managed to obtain rights to Mahler), I would be a very, very happy lass!

yoshimori

#10 Post by yoshimori » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:03 am

Here's the amazon uk link to MAHLER from the same people (unknown to me) who claim to be releasing Fellini's Casanova on March 7. Valentino is also available on r2uk.

Lino

#11 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:48 am

So Mahler is coming out March, 28? Ok, let's see what happens - so far, I haven't seen any kind of official announcement but fingers crossed that it does happen!

Actually, I have ordered just this week the UK version of Valentino. I am almost sure it will be shitty A/V wise but that's the best you can do for that one until MGM gives us a release date. Expect a report here when it arrives chez moi.

Edit: Well, it arrived today and I already had a quick look into it and bad news first: it's Full Frame only and there are no subs of any kind or extras to speak of (unless you count scene selections as "extras").

Now the good news: the A/V quality is actually very good considering the overall presentation of this disc. It seems to have been taken from a good print and the image is indeed very clear and the colors seem to be quite right!

On a side note, it's curious that the MGM lion logo is printed on the box and on the disc as well but is nowhere to be found at the beginning of the feature. I know this is a MGM title but this version is being distributed by ILC Video.

Still, this turned out better than I hoped for and at such a low price is really a bargain! If you're interested in this film and don't mind it being FF and can't wait any longer for the rumoured MGM edition, take the plunge.

THX1378

#12 Post by THX1378 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:16 am

Anyone know how the R0 The Devils plays or if it's worth picking up. The one place I'm looking at has it on backorder but I want to know if it's going to be worth getting or holding out for the R1. I think the R0 doesn't have the audio commentary on it but it does have the Hell on Earth doc.
EDITED:
Also what about the Tommy 2 disc set thats out on R2? I don't think Sony will ever get around to pulling out a SE of the film and I really could care less about paying $25 to get the Superbit version.

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:56 am

THX1378, AFAIK there is no edition of The Devils out yet. The DVD you saw is probably a retailer mistake. But I could be wrong, though. You can ask the retailer if it's available or not but as I said earlier, I haven't seen any kind of official announcement yet by the part of Warners who own the rights.

About the R2 Tommy: I've been trying for Gary over at Beaver to do a comparison between the US Superbit and the UK SE. So far, nothing yet. Meanwhile, here's a promising review.

yoshimori

#14 Post by yoshimori » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:52 am

The DVD you saw is probably a retailer mistake.
ANOTHER DEVILS MISTAKE

Lino

#15 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:07 am

This is indeed very strange. I wonder why these retailers are selling The Devils on DVD. It might happen that it's not an official release, much like the Valentino one I recently bought - although an MGM title, it is being distributed by ILC Video.

I guess the only way to find out about the former is to go ahead and order it - has anyone done that? What were the results?

BTW, this is what Iain Fisher's site (the very best Russell online source) has to say about The Devils on DVD:
The Devils dvd on Ebay

DVDs of The Devils are now regularly advertised on Ebay. Note that these are bootleg copies of videos, so not DVD quality. Also some sellers have received very negative feedback from buyers:

disappointed with quality, obviously a copy as it jumps slightly

avoid DVD, it's heavily blurred, home made copy, not DVD, Beware!!

deals with burned DVDs in very bad quality (probably VHS copy).
Here's a handy rundown of every Russell DVD available to buy.

Hmm...apparently you can also buy The Devils DVD on this site who are known to deal with bootlegs...

While there, click on the preview button for a kind of trailer for the film.

I'm still waiting for any kind of answer and checking other forums for results on ordering this DVD. It might happen that this is indeed a bootleg made from the recent airing of the film on british TV which included the Mark Kermode docu "Hell on Earth". We'll see.

edit: if you make a zoom on the DVD cover you can see that it is being distributed by "Angel Digital", a company I have never heard of...the plot thickens...

THX1378

#16 Post by THX1378 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:45 am

I checked the R0 on Xplotied and it's on backorder. No one seems to know yet about how good these are but I bet there Bootlegs like what Annie said. Whats odd is that the R2 has a audio commentary with Russell about the film so there must be some work being done on it unless this is a lie, since the R0 has all the same stuff sands audio commentary.

filmfan

#17 Post by filmfan » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:43 am

This is a copy that is probably circulating everywhere on various "vanity labels".

I have one. I'm happy just to have it, so as long as it's viewable to enjoy the film presentation I could care less about the nuances of quality that I usually get upset about.

I have others and I'm happy to have them too.

Lino

#18 Post by Lino » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 am

Please tell us more! Does it have menus ;) ? How is the A/V quality? Does it carry subs? Is the Mark Kermode docu really that great? Is the film in its proper OAR? How is the quality of the print and the audio? Oh, wait - I already asked that :) ? Please, do expand!

Ashirg

#19 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 pm

Here's the review of The Devils...

Lino

#20 Post by Lino » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:21 am

Thank you very much Ashirg! Great find! And it confirms what I've written above - it is indeed a bootleg taken maybe from the recent british TV broadcast.

Still, since any official release won't see the light of day sooner than next year, this is one to seriously consider buying by those who do not wish to wait that long as it carries great extras AND it features the director's cut of the film.

BTW, I'm in sort of a Russell phase right now (never thought I could say this...) and just ordered the UK Tommy SE. Expect comments when it arrives at my doorstep!

It came in today and I can tell you that it's absolutely worthy! It's got a great audio commentary with Ken Russell in conversation with Mark Kermode, the A/V is amazing (especially the 5.1 track) and best of all, it's got English HOH subtitles which is very, very handy if you want to keep up with the plot! :)

The extras are all nicely done and very informative, the booklet is also a plus with reproductions of original programme...what can I say? Excellent release all around! =D>

BTW, this was the first film to ever sport a sort of prequel to 5.1 surround sound on film (at the time, they called it "Quintaphonic") and they went to great lengths to reproduce this the best they can - and it shows. Also, in the extras, you get to know that Russell's next film - Lisztomania - was also inovative sound-wise: it featured the first stereo optical audio track and I can't wait for it to get a DVD release to see/hear it in the best way possible!

Favorite quote from the audio commentary: when Mark Kermode asks Ken Russell what he thinks of Tommy after all this time, this is what he says -

"Masterpiece. And that's an understatement. And I'm known to be given to understatements."

That's my Ken for ya! :D

Gordon

#21 Post by Gordon » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:51 am

It came in today and I can tell you that it's absolutely worthy! It's got a great audio commentary with Ken Russell in conversation with Mark Kermode, the A/V is amazing (especially the 5.1 track) and best of all, it's got English HOH subtitles which is very, very handy if you want to keep up with the plot!
Annie, could you tell me where you ordered this edition from?

Thanks.

Lino

#22 Post by Lino » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:16 pm

You can order from these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 68-7880643
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=ti ... tle=168706

Get it while you can - it's a bargain at that price!

Just found out about this:
Who's Tommy to be most expensive animated film ever

Contact Music has the news that The Who's rock-opera Tommy is being considered for an animated movie, featuring the voices of Robbie Williams and Bono. Grease producer Robert Stigwood plans for the feature to be built with a $400 million budget, remarking, "If you are going to do it, you've got to do it right."
:shock:

I did something I had never done before and went ahead and ordered the bootleg edition of The Devils from the site mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

It arrived last Monday (they were VERY efficient!) and I had the chance to watch it yesterday afternoon. The bottom line is: if you can't wait a year for it to come out via Warners, this one will do for the time being (but only barely). As noted on the review linked up the thread, the video quality is very subpar with the real pluses being the audio (quite good) and the amount of extras included (juicily fantastic!).

As for the film itself, well...for someone like me who had never saw it and not knowing what I was getting myself into, it did quite a damage, I must say...what an experience! And I had the good fortune of watching it for the first time with the infamous "Rape of Christ" scene included, so I guess that'll be how I will always remember it (and I do feel sorry for all of you who have been watching it all this time without it - you really don't know what you're missing!).

For me this is the final proof (if ever there was a need) that Ken Russell is indeed a great director and among the truly great ones. This film is mindblowing! Derek Jarman's sets are one of a kind, David Watkin's cinematography is amazing, Peter Maxwell Davis' score is wonderfully disonant and the actor's performances are rightly hysterical as they should be! Believe me that the final product is sure to make you fall in desbelief at what you are seeing! It's that good and powerful! Provocative, visually stunning and unnerving - just the way all good cinema should be!

Dare I say, best british film ever?

Subbuteo

#23 Post by Subbuteo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:38 pm

Annie Mall wrote: Dare I say, best british film ever?
You might say, but you'd be wrong! :wink:

Lino

#24 Post by Lino » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:54 pm

Have you even seen The Devils? Or are you more a Powell/Pressburger guy? ;)

Subbuteo

#25 Post by Subbuteo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 pm

Yes I have , a few times actually, indeed I've seen most of Russells output.
Whilst he has made some good films (particularly his early TV work), for me they are no where near being masterpieces and are not a patch on Powell & Pressburger.
Although I can appreciate the interest in 'The Devils' if only for Maxwell Davis's fine score! :wink: