Bluebeard's Castle

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Calvin

Bluebeard's Castle

#1 Post by Calvin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:17 am

As part of the BFI's major celebration of the works of Powell and Pressburger this Autumn, they will release "a Blu-ray of Powell’s bold realisation of Bartok’s only opera Bluebeard’s Castle (1964), newly restored by the BFI National Archive and The Film Foundation, unavailable for many years".

Tommaso

Re: Bluebeard's Castle

#2 Post by Tommaso » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:49 am

Absolutely fabulous news! Finally this masterpiece gets the treatment it deserves.

Still no sign of "The Elusive Pimpernel", though, which would make for a great double bill, as "Bluebeard" is only about 60 minutes or so. Well, perhaps they'll combine "Bluebeard" with "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".

criterionsnob

#3 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:55 am

Amazon pre-order is up for November 20.

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:38 pm

I can’t imagine Criterion releasing this as anything but an extra on another Michael Powell solo release, but I also can’t imagine it being an extra on Peeping Tom (should they ever get around to releasing it). With sets by Hein Heckroth (a major part of my P&P love), I’ll risk a double-dip on this one.

bad future

#5 Post by bad future » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:04 pm

So excited to get to see this in greater than tv-via-vhs-via-youtube quality! Hard to imagine a better feature for Criterion to pair it with than Tales of Hoffmann, which it's just barely too late for.. unless of course they decide to upgrade to UHD. I wonder how soon after the BD release they could get away with.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:51 pm

This film was restored by the WCP, so it'll probably pop up in one of those boxes at some point.

Matt

#7 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:18 am

What A Disgrace wrote:This film was restored by the WCP, so it'll probably pop up in one of those boxes at some point.
I believe this restoration was done in collaboration with The Film Foundation, but not under their World Cinema Project (which is mostly devoted to Asian, African, and Latin American films). So it would not be in one of those box sets.

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:36 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:38 pm
I can’t imagine Criterion releasing this as anything but an extra on another Michael Powell solo release, but I also can’t imagine it being an extra on Peeping Tom (should they ever get around to releasing it). With sets by Hein Heckroth (a major part of my P&P love), I’ll risk a double-dip on this one.
Fingers crossed for "Oh... Rosalinda!!" [-o<

Matt

#9 Post by Matt » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:33 pm

I have Network’s Blu-ray, and nothing could persuade me to buy that film a second time.

What A Disgrace

#10 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:18 pm

• Newly restored by the BFI National Archive and The Film Foundation in association with The Ashbrittle Film Foundation and presented in High Definition
• Optional audio track of the English translation commissioned by Michael Powell and sung by Norman Foster and Ana Raquel Satre
• Newly recorded interview with film scholar Ian Christie (2023, 21 mins)
• Picture business: Michael Powell at Dartmouth (1980, 16 mins): A short documentary depicting Powell's time as Artist in Residence at Dartmouth College in 1980
• An image gallery of production designs by Hein Heckroth
• Optional English subtitles
• **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet featuring writing by Michael Powell, Bertrand Tavernier, Ian Christie and Lilian Crawford.

MichaelB

#11 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:53 am

Full specs announced:
BLUEBEARD’S CASTLE
A film by Michael Powell
Adapted from Béla Bartók’s opera

Released on BFI Blu-ray on 27 November, available on iTunes and Amazon Prime from 1 December and on BFI Player Subscription from 4 December 2023

Discover a lost masterpiece from acclaimed director Michael Powell (The Red Shoes, Peeping Tom) with this stunning adaptation of Béla Bartók’s expressionist opera. Unavailable for many years, BLUEBEARD’S CASTLE (Herzog Blaubarts Burg) has been painstakingly restored by the BFI National Archive and The Film Foundation, in association with The Ashbrittle Film Foundation, and is presented here – on its 60th anniversary – in both its original broadcast format and its revised 1978 edition, featuring selected English subtitles added by Powell. Its Blu-ray release is part of the major BFI season, CINEMA UNBOUND: THE CREATIVE WORLDS OF POWELL AND PRESSBURGER, launched on 16 October and running until 31 December 2023.

Starring Norman Foster, the American operatic bass-baritone as the murderous Bluebeard and Ana Raquel Satre as his doomed wife Judith, this boldly original production was made for West German television in 1963. It combines outstanding performances with spectacular production designs (by the award-winning, long term Archers collaborator Hein Heckroth) symbolising Bluebeard’s tortured soul, as Powell concocts a daring and inventive interpretation of a haunting work, equal to the creative innovation of Powell and Pressburger’s iconic The Tales of Hoffmann (1951).

Special features
• Newly restored by the BFI National Archive and The Film Foundation in association with The Ashbrittle Film Foundation, and presented in High Definition. Restoration funding provided by the BFI National Archive and the Louis B. Mayer Foundation and The Film Foundation
• Optional audio track of the English translation, commissioned by Michael Powell and sung by Norman Foster and Ana Raquel Satre
• Newly recorded interview with film scholar Ian Christie (2023, 21 mins)
• Picture Business: Michael Powell at Dartmouth (1980, 16 mins): a short documentary depicting Powell’s time as artist in residence at Dartmouth College
• Image gallery of production designs by Hein Heckroth
• ***First pressing only*** Illustrated booklet with an essay by Ian Christie; ‘Bluebeard’s Castle: A Prologue’ – extracts from Million-Dollar Movie by Michael Powell; Bertrand Tavernier on Bluebeard’s Castle; biographies of Hein Heckroth, Norman Foster and Ana Raquel Satre by Lillian Crawford; notes on the special features and credits

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / Cat. no. BFIB1501 / PG
West Germany / 1963 + 1978 / colour / 63 minutes / German language with optional English subtitles + German language with burnt in subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.37:1 (theatrical presentation) / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, LPCM 1.0 mono audio (96kHz/24-bit)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#12 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:53 pm

Is this Region B -- or multi-region?

Charles

#13 Post by Charles » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:29 pm

I love the opera, but had never heard of the film until they first announced it a while back. What a treat it's going to be.

I'm just wondering how there can be an optional English language "track". Or maybe I'm misreading. Wouldn't they have had to film the thing twice?

jheez

#14 Post by jheez » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:58 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:53 pm
Is this Region B -- or multi-region?
According to BFI's site it's region B (they put "A,B,C" if it's region free). Their site is usually accurate, but I wouldn't swear by what they put up there.

MichaelB

#15 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:02 pm

Charles wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:29 pm
I'm just wondering how there can be an optional English language "track". Or maybe I'm misreading. Wouldn't they have had to film the thing twice?
Presumably they had separate audio stems of the singers and the orchestra, so it would just be a case of the singers re-recording their parts in sync. Which doesn't sound too onerous.

reaky

#16 Post by reaky » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:22 am

Intense and astounding. Though I speak as someone who doesn’t enjoy either Powell’s Tales of Hoffmann or Peeping Tom, I found this a major work. It reminded me of nothing more than the films of Mario Bava.

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Charles wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:29 pm
Presumably they had separate audio stems of the singers and the orchestra, so it would just be a case of the singers re-recording their parts in sync. Which doesn't sound too onerous.
Now that I have this in hand, I can shed a little light on the language options. The disc features the original German language version of the film, presented without subtitles as was Powell’s wish. He wanted the viewer to be totally immersed in the sound and image without distraction.

Several years later, Powell decided to add limited on-screen English text (not quite subtitles, more like brief, contextualizing text overlaid on the image). The disc uses the same video for this version with a digital recreation of the titles (which is done very well—the titles look exactly like the old style of burned-in subtitles you used to see on film prints).

Finally, there is an alternate English language recording of the audio, performed by the same singers and musicians, that was intended for a separately shot English language version that ended up not happening. This is presented as an alternate audio track. The music is in sync, but the lip movements are obviously still German, so you could technically call it an English dub track.

This looks and sounds very good with a solid restoration and an encode by Fidelity in Motion. I only skipped around a bit, but it’s definitely in the style of The Red Shoes and Tales of Hoffmann in terms of sets, staging, and cinematography.

ryannichols7

#18 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 pm

this was an extremely fast seller - I just opened my copy and was greeted with no booklet. really disappointed as I was really looking forward to having the booklet for this title...

TMDaines

#19 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:49 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 pm
this was an extremely fast seller - I just opened my copy and was greeted with no booklet. really disappointed as I was really looking forward to having the booklet for this title...
In response to this, I panic ordered one from Amazon and it arrived with booklet. I'd be seriously surprised if this has sold out of a print run already.

ryannichols7

#20 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:18 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:49 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 pm
In response to this, I panic ordered one from Amazon and it arrived with booklet. I'd be seriously surprised if this has sold out of a print run already.
pain. let me email Ben Stoddart and get clarification on that. I figured there was no way it could be this quick

I also ordered from Diabolik instead of my usual preferred Orbit, maybe that's serving me right

TMDaines

#21 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:13 pm

Did it have proper shrink-wrap or did it look like a rewrap?

ryannichols7

#22 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 pm

looked legit. I would have serious bones to pick with Diabolik if they were sending out rewrapped items

I don't think there's any way this sold through, something isn't right. considering Get Carter and other crazy in demand items are only just now getting standard editions, hopefully I'll get a good response to my email. the last title I remember being a hugely quick sell was Dance Craze, which the BFI was kind enough to make social media posts about

TechnicolorAcid

#23 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:31 pm

Perhaps you could message Diabolik about information surrounding the missing booklet and they could send you a replacement copy with the booklet in the case that it was simply an error.

joshua

#24 Post by joshua » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:18 pm
I also ordered from Diabolik instead of my usual preferred Orbit, maybe that's serving me right
I got mine from Diabolik a month ago. I just opened it up and it came with a booklet.

ryannichols7

#25 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:30 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:31 pm
Perhaps you could message Diabolik about information surrounding the missing booklet and they could send you a replacement copy with the booklet in the case that it was simply an error.
did that, and apparently all their copies don't have booklets

Orbit sells out of their stock so fast (and already have today) that they probably won't be able to check for me if theirs do