Jacques Rozier

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
therewillbeblus

Re: Jacques Rozier

#51 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:40 am

So Nono Nénesse is even weirder than we all speculated upthread. I don't know what to say about it, other than if you want to see adults playing babies (complete with intentionally awful special effects and surprisingly inspired practical effects)- and I mean really going for broke, full-method-babies, you should check this out. At first this was grating (around the five minute mark, at least one voice in your brain will probably be yelling to shut it off) but persisted and somehow I got into its insane rhythm by the 1/3 mark, and the rest was amusing in its own sick branded way. I can't honestly "recommend" this to anyone, but you won't be able to forget it, for better or worse.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#52 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:45 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:40 am
I mean really going for broke, full-method-babies
This ended up being worse than I imagined precisely because of this choice. I thought they'd be doing that Laurel and Hardy thing where they were funny adults playing kids. No, they're noted French comedians who for some reason are doing the world's most interminable and sincere acting exercise this side of Out 1. Thank God the rest of the footage we were promised was forthcoming never materialized.

therewillbeblus

#53 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:49 pm

After I acclimated to the nausea-inducing conditions, all I could think about was Who the fuck would put in the effort to make this

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#54 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm

How does the approach here compare to Dennis Potter's Blue Remembered Hills, which has adults playing babies and is good?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:58 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:49 pm
After I acclimated to the nausea-inducing conditions, all I could think about was Who the fuck would put in the effort to make this
My best guess is that this was commissioned by a TV station as a series on the strength of the talents involved and the powers that be then noped the fuck out after seeing the footage coming in and pulled the plug and so what we see is what we get. Perhaps one of our French friends can pick up Bernard Menez' autobiography, which apparently talks quite a bit about his work with Rozier, and fill us in on the deetz behind this war crime

therewillbeblus

#56 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Thankfully it seems like no one knows about it, since I had to create a letterboxd page for it

therewillbeblus

#57 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:09 pm

There’s a petition going around collecting signatures to stop the forced eviction of 94-y/o Rozier and his wife from their apt in France

Calvin

#58 Post by Calvin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:41 am

Duly signed. It would be tragic for anyone in that circumstance, let alone someone who has contributed so much to his nation's culture. There is a Le Figaro article on the situation.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:48 pm

The link is paywalled, so can’t confirm, but the only feature Rozier directed not out anywhere is Fifi Martingale, but I have a hard time believing that was recently restored. The other four features are what is in the existing French set. But I suspect they’re counting something else as a feature here?

diamonds

#61 Post by diamonds » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:16 pm

I just plugged the blurb into Google translate to be honest, could it simply mean that four of the five were restored and that the deal encompasses those four?

Per this article, it includes the 1990 series Joséphine en tournée (assuming that's what the 'audiovisual work' refers to), which seems like a big deal. That hasn't been available anywhere, has it?

therewillbeblus

#62 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:38 pm

I don't think so, it's on backchannels in what looks to be a TV rip without English subs. Very cool that the deal includes this and nine shorts! I imagine the four films in question are those from the Rozier DVD set, but would love to be wrong and have Fifi Martingale replace The Castaways of Turtle Island as no. 4

diamonds

#63 Post by diamonds » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Brace for disappointment: per the announcement on mk2's site, the acquisition inexplicably does not include Du côté d’Orouët.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:47 pm

What the actual merde

therewillbeblus

#65 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:52 pm

They did apparently decide, however, to restore Nono Nénesse, which would be better left in a trash fire. Is there a French version of April Fools Day in February, by chance?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#66 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:06 pm

Could it be that it wasn't available because someone else had grabbed the rights to the most prestigious film?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:08 pm

Prestigious for a small number of us, perhaps, but AP is far better known. If that wasn’t licensed already, I can’t believe Du Cote was

hearthesilence

Re: Coffret Jacques Rozier

#68 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 06, 2022 12:19 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:52 pm
Adieu Philippine was just restored, so there's a good chance we'll see someone put that one out on Blu eventually, at least
FWIW the DCP (courtesy of MK2) looks great. The title card says it's a 4K scan of the negative with the restoration work done in 2K.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#69 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:15 pm

Not really sure where to put this but for further evidence of just how good Du côté d'Orouët is, I caught up with Christian Vincent's 1992 Beau Fixe, which on paper sounds a lot like this (to the point that it is clearly conceived in a spirit of homage): a group of young girls take a break to a seaside house and are interrupted from their plans by an interloping male figure. One big difference here is all the girls are annoying in a "This goes beyond realistic brattiness into 'I just don't like any of these characters'" way. They are jerks to the pliant male cousin of one of the girls who shows up to paint the shutters of their villa and there is virtually no payoff to their torture (the single good moment in the entire film, and the filmmaker doesn't even realize it so it barely gets highlighted, is the scene late in the film when the cousin is surrounded by his own friends, male and female, and suddenly has the confidence to be a jerk right back to the girls-- this should have been the start of something more, not a one-off observation). I never once bought any of the girls or their motivations for the film even existing (they're in the remote house to study for their exams, even though it's more distracting to do work on vacation than it would be at home in Paris), none of the melodramas that arose felt real, and there's an emptiness to the swishy camera work that signifies and shows nothing. Probably not as bad a film as I'm making it sound, but when you steal from the best, you better not miss, or however it goes

fiendishthingy

#70 Post by fiendishthingy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm

On its Henri streaming platform today, the Cinémathèque française posted a 1984 documentary shot by Rozier following Bernard Ménez around on tour. The quality seems to be very rough and there are no subtitles available, but I thought it might be of some interest.

diamonds

#71 Post by diamonds » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:45 am

I made an inquiry about Du côté d’Orouët's absence from the MK2 announcement and was told there is still hope for its acquisition and that a new restoration of the film may be in the cards in 2024. Knock on wood!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#72 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:56 am

It was a restoration project looking for early partners a month ago at Lyon, so it's planned but I suppose it's still in the early stages.